Florence OR no brewpub

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Reidrover, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Why???
    JUst spent 4 days down in Florence its a fantastic little city and lots of great recreational activities.
    Old Town Florence is filled with trendy restaurants , stores etc but no brewpub.
    I know there used to be Wakonda but they are long gone.
    Surely in Old Town a brewpub would do well.

muchloveforhops3 likes this.
  2. mudbug

mudbug Pooh-Bah (1,738) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Condolences! It's tough out here on the coast. population drops like an anvil in winter,(and nobody would blame them) rumor has it of new spot in Yachats but honestly, every restaurant down there has killer Oregon beer. I wouldn't be to complaining unless I lived there. There are good breweries off the charts in Toledo and Newport ( Pig Feathers and Bier One ) and Rusty Truck. But out here it's hard to get stuff they pass by in Portland

#2 mudbug, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Reidrover likes this.
  3. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Yep, Yachats Brewing is operational. I haven't been there or had any of their beers (yet), but the new head brewer has brewed at Sasquatch & Logsdon, so I expect they'll be putting out some good stuff.

4. mudbug

Pooh-Bah Society

Road trip!

WertMaker and Reidrover like this.
  5. Reidrover

Reidrover Grand Pooh-Bah (4,622) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Think Yachats Brewing is based in the Yachats Farm Store..passed by a few times..but i never take my kid in a beer place.
    Still trying to try Wolf Tree Brewing too..out of Seal Rock.
    But just saying Old Town Florence is friigin awesome

6. mudbug

Pooh-Bah Society

I've heard Wolf Tree is good. Gotta get my ass in gear and go!

7. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (1,197) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

Wakonda was ok, but in a super weird and hard to find spot in an industrial park by the airport. I spent a weekend there a few years back, and we spent a lot of time in the Beachcomber. I agree, a fun spot.

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I went to Wakonda once, and fully understand why they are no longer there. We usually stay in Florence for a few days each Labor Day, and I like to hit Beachcombers as much as I can. One of the bartenders is the wife of the OR NB rep, so they tend to get lots of specialty NB beers that others tend to want and can't have.

#8 jbakajust1, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    WertMaker likes this.
  9. WertMaker

WertMaker Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2009 Oregon

Today's BeerFest was small but some killer beers on tap both outside and in the Beachcomber. Rumor has it that there is a Micro or Nano brewery coming to Old Town Florence, soon.....

10. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That would explain the oscar worthy dark sour I saw on tap last weekend. While I wasn't a fan, I was shocked to see it at all there.

I agree it would be nice if there was a brewpub in town as well, but with beachcombers around downtown, its not something I seem to miss all that much when we visit.

jbakajust1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.