First-ever Duvel and Ommegang Brewing Collaboration, Duvel Rustica

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

COOPERSTOWN, NY (Sep. 2012) - Brewery Ommegang and Duvel Moortgat are celebrating the release of a long-anticipated collaboration brew named Duvel Rustica. The new beer is a Belgian-style Golden Ale of 8.5% ABV and, like the iconic Duvel Golden Ale, is brewed with fine pils malts and hopped with noble Styrian Golding hops from Slovenia. The collaboration captures the delicate balance of the classic Duvel Belgian Golden Ale - one of the world’s most exalted beers - and adds a touch of the typical rustic fruitiness enhancing every Ommegang ale. This distinctive touch is created by using Ommegang’s proprietary yeast for primary fermentation. The secondary fermentation yeast is also quite interesting, but remains secret.

Phil Leinhart, brewmaster of Brewery Ommegang, says, “In Belgium, Duvel is painstakingly brewed with simple ingredients, yet is a marvelously complex beer that’s never been convincingly duplicated. So, instead of trying to duplicate it, we imagined a charmingly rustic Duvel, brewed in our farmstead brewery in upstate New York. Our idea was to embrace all the distinctive qualities of Duvel, yet bring our own craft-brewing skills to the beer. We honored Duvel’s essence while adding a light touch of Ommegang’s signature yeast-driven fruitiness to the flavors and aromas. To our taste, Duvel Rustica is the pinnacle of brewing collaborations.” Hedwig Neven, brewmaster of Duvel in Belgium, says, “Phil and I dreamed, talked and tasted together all along the way, for almost two years…and I’m proud and delighted with Duvel Rustica, the new American cousin of Duvel.”

Duvel Rustica pours with a radiant golden hue accented by a frothy white head. The body is lean and rounded with effervescent carbonation. The subtle interplay of malt and hops, along with citrus notes from the hops and yeast, creates rich flavors and alluring aromas. The finish offers dry warmth along with solid hop bitterness highlighting the beer’s devilish balance. Duvel Rustica is sold in 750 ML corked bottles and on draft, and is available from October through December, 2012, in all forty-three states where fine Ommegang ales are found.

Brewery Ommegang opened in 1997 to craft-brew fine Belgian-style ales. The brewery creates six ales year-round, as well as an extensive and imaginative range of seasonal and specialty ales. The beers have won a national following by connoisseurs of fine beer and are distributed in over 40 states. Ommegang is located on a 136-acre farmstead in Cooperstown, New York, and offers free daily tours and tastings as well as a 100-seat café and a well-stocked brewery store. Ommegang is open every day of the year except for Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day, and New Year’s Day. For more information, please contact info@ommegang.com, call 1-800-544-1809, or visit www.ommegang.com. Ommegang is a member of the Duvel family of fine beers. Follow Ommegang on Twitter (@BreweryOmmegang) and like us on Facebook.

###

2. hefehead12

hefehead12 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

Isn't that like them collaborating with themselves?

techcommdood likes this.
  3. Onizilla

Onizilla Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2009 New York

Sometimes you just want to play with yourself?

fmccormi, ant880, sailorastro and 3 others like this.
  4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

It's going to be another pricey bottle.

5. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2005 New York

How does changing a recipe's yeast qualify a beer as the "pinnacle of brewing collaborations"? So this'll be, what? $20? $25? Crazy.

techcommdood likes this.
  6. techcommdood

techcommdood Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2005 New York

What's next? A Budweiser & Bud Light collaboration? "We call it Budweiser Light!"

Collaboration brewing has just jumped the shark. Time for another fad to get all hot and bothered by.

darknova306 likes this.
  7. Mohican88

Mohican88 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Ohio

Eh call it what you want, collaboration or not, I'll try this if the price is on par with other Ommegang limited releases.

8. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it. You could say that Gnomegang is also a "playing with yourself" collaboration, but that beer came out pretty f'ing good so I have high hopes for this one (especially because I like Duvel more than LaChouffe).

Plus, for what it's worth, the label is badass:

[​IMG]

That said, I'm looking forward to this one even more . . . :

[​IMG]

bradcochran1234 and JimDH like this.
  9. Mohican88

Has anyone else noticed there are two different approved labels for Duvel Rustica? Both are Ommegang labels but one is black, the other is brown and they have differently worded descriptions of the beer.

10. fmccormi

I have not. Can you post a picture or a link of the other one?

11. Mohican88

12. fmccormi

Hmm. I dunno, first I've seen of it. They both look good in my opinion, but I think I like the black one better . . . looks more appropriate, considering the whole devil thing.

13. Mohican88

It looks like they went with the brown, this was the picture I saw on their website. It almost looks like the label is clear except for the gold since it blends with the bottle pretty well.

[​IMG]

fmccormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.