Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin in bottles

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by KANE3, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KANE3

KANE3 Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2012 California

UnknownKoger likes this.
  2. flexabull

flexabull Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 California

Bringing the old name back huh? Sounds great.

3. angrygrimace

angrygrimace Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2011 California

There was some kind of problem with using the name "Merkin" on a distributed product for a while. If you've been a FW fan for a while I suppose it could be confusing since Merlin used to be Merkin and Merkin is now barrel-aged Merlin.

The ABV is listed as 8.5%; I wonder if the recipe is different from non-BA Merlin or if the increase is just an estimate of the bourbon contribution?

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

While I love Velvet Merkin, gotta ask, when are Stickee Monkey or Helldorado coming to bottles??

J-Sauce and UnknownKoger like this.
  5. SageO

SageO Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 California

When I was at the brewery, I asked about bottling Bravo, and they said they simply don't make enough of it to bottle by itself and doubt that they ever will. Could be similar situation with those two, or hopefully they're ramping production like they did with the other component beers.

6. drgonzo2k2

drgonzo2k2 Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 California

On Zwanze day!? Now do I drive up to RR for that or down to Paso for the release party of this? Or both!?

7. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

Do they do releases at the Paso or Buellton location? Seems like it wouldn't be worth going to if it's getting distributed.

8. drgonzo2k2

Well, up until this year, pretty sure Firestone has only done release parties for their anniversary blends (at least that's all I ever heard about). This year though, they've done releases for both Parabola and DDBA, so I imagine they will continue with that and do one for Merkin as well.

I always try to pickup a case of FW reserve series, so going down to the brewery to pick up a case on release day has made that easier than trying to hit up several different stores or ordering online.

Oh, and the last two parties have been at both Paso and Buellton.

1424IpA likes this.
  9. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2011 California

Can't wait, but where's the label?

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

So is this brewery only or something? Just wondering why it is in the Pacific section only.

11. drgonzo2k2

Look on their FB page, you can see one there.

Hanzo! We've decided to keep all our delicious beers to ourselves finally! Seriously though, it'll be in distro, not sure why the post is here only. Maybe we'll get one here and one in the releases section, just like DDG!

litheum94 and Hanzo like this.
  12. angrygrimace

angrygrimace Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2011 California

It doesn't appear to be and Merkin is listed on their site in the same manner as Parabola, Sucaba and Anniversary.

It is sort of Pacific relevant though since the exact release date is only going to make a tremendous difference for when its released at the brewery itself since, if other FW releases are anything to go by, the beer itself will arrive in various places whenever the truck happens to get there.

13. drgonzo2k2

After they announced that Merkin would be a reserve series beer this year, they've moved it to that section which can be found here:

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/proprietors-reserve-series.php

Previously it was always listed in their skunkworks series, which is here:

http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/skunk-works.php

It looks like at this point, all they've done is take the skunkworks listing and add "September 2013" to it, but I'm guessing soon they'll put up the bottle, label, etc., like the other reserve series.

14. chcfan

Cool, thanks for the info. Stocking up is a challenge. I went to Barrelworks for the first time last month and it was pretty much the best thing ever. I wish I could go there every weekend, but it's too damn far.

Edit: from San Francisco...

15. drgonzo2k2

Yeah, when I lived in LA, I was so looking forward to the Barrelworks opening cuz that would be closer than Paso AND that's where they were doing their sour program.

Then I moved to the bay area before it opened, and I've not yet been down there.

Plus, there's Split Pea Anderson's!

16. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

oh, what's thizzzzz???????

17. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

This might be off topic, but do you happen to know if the teku is only available at barrelworks or is it available at paso also? Thanks.

18. chcfan

Wish I could help you. I'm not seeing that on the pic of the menu I took there on the Sunday after July 4th, but it's not the whole menu and the name sounds familiar. Do you know the style? I'm not seeing a BA entry. My understanding is that they mostly just have the regular year-rounds and seasonals at Paso and the awesome shit is at Barrelworks. That's actually how it is in Buellton in the non Barrelworks room and you're apparently not supposed to bring beers from one room to the other. It's weird. Must be some kind of license thing.

Edit: lol Teku is a glass. They definitely had that at Buellton. No idea on Paso.

kpacedo and angrygrimace like this.
  19. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

he's asking about glassware.

1424IpA likes this.
  20. thewaterispoison

thewaterispoison Crusader (401) Jun 22, 2010 California

I was at both recently. Only had the Teku in Beullton.

sirtomtom and kpacedo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.