1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

FfaC LIF - ISO: A female, wife, g/f, relative who's faced breast cancer & kicked/is kicking its ass

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by leschkie, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leschkie

leschkie Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 California

I love what Russian River does every year with proceeds to Framboise for a Cure, and I want to continue their good example by giving away bottles of FfaC to those females, wives, significant others, or family relatives who (i) enjoy raspberry sours and (ii) have been affected by breast cancer and has either given it a good whoopin' or is currently being treated. I currently have some bottles for this LIF already, and plan to make another trip up there specifically for this to send out as much as I could.

I myself have a family member who is a breast cancer survivor and just finished her medications for good just this year, and I couldn't be proud of her. So, please, I encourage your special someone or yourself, if applicable, to share your story of victory so that we can all celebrate as a community together. I will try to personally send out as many bottles as I can to those who reply or send me a BM, and I encourage any other bay area BAs with a bottle or two to spare to join me in this initiative.

Cheers, and I salute you all for your bravery and courage! Kurtis

2. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2010 New York

My mother in law is a breast cancer survivor, has had a double mastectomy and had her ovaries removed in an effort to keep it from coming back. So far so good. My wife though, carries the same gene that caused her mother to get it in the first place. So it's somewhat of a crazy high chance she winds up with it as we'll by the time she's 60. We've been told to to try to have kids as soon as possible and when we're done to have her ovaries removed also to help her chances of not getting sick. We just had our first baby, a girl, so obviously we're concerned that the gene has been passed down once again.

Fuck you cancer.

3. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Leschkie strikes again with another ridiculous show of generosity and good will that shames us all...cheers, man.

4. Axic10

Axic10 Maven (1,362) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Trader

I shared my story with Kurtis, but will share it with you all as well.

I lost my Aunt to breast cancer in the 90's. My Grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 and had a double mastectomy in 2005. She beat cancer seven years ago and during that time was an inspiration for me as she never once complained or got upset at the situation.

My mom has had some scares in the past, but nothing as serious as my Grandma or Aunt, thank God.

I too salute everybody who has been affected by this. Here's to finding a cure!

5. crushedvol

crushedvol Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2008 Illinois

This is truly amazing of you. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer right after she had her first child and was devastated, However she stayed positive and tough and is now cancer free. I don't want a bottle, I just wanted to say cheers to you.

6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

Very nice idea for a LIF! Unfortunately everyone in my family that gets diagnosed seems to die within a year. Cheers to all the survivors!

7. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

**No need to send beer; I've been on the receiving end of way too much of your generosity as is**

Just my mother's story:
    My family's been through a lot in the last decade, including my mother's battle with breast cancer. She had a double mastectomy (complete removal of both breasts) and a (at the time) brand-new treatment/reconstructive surgery which consisted of rebuilding her breasts (cosmetically) with ligament and tissue material from her upper back and thighs. Everything went incredibly well; she's happy, healthy, working, and in great shape, to this day. Completely cancer free going on 10 years now.

8. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Pooh-Bah (1,955) Nov 26, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Obviously I'm not entering / eligible for the LIF, but I thought I'd share my story too. It's not breast cancer -- it's ovarian cancer in this case. My mom has been battling it since 2006; at the time of the diagnosis, they gave her a 1.5-year prognosis, but she beat it and went cancer-free for 5 years.

Unfortunately, it is back for round 2 and it has spread farther, but I am confident that her strong spirit will prevail. She is on treatment and I call her often to keep her spirits up.

It is very hard watching a loved one suffer -- my condolences to everyone who has been through it, and a toast to those who survived.

9. huadog

huadog Initiate (0) May 13, 2009 California

Not entering / eligible either - and it was good to see you today Kurtis :slight_smile: truly generous dewd.

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer back in 1997 - it was a hard time for our family... she had a single mastectomy and has been in remission ever since.

Cheers to RR for their efforts and Kurtis for his generosity!

10. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Illinois

Here is the story of my mom's battle with cancer. When I was a freshman in college back in 2000 my mom was diagnosed. She didn't want me to worry about her so my family decided to keep it a secret from me until the school year was almost over. They were worried I would drop out and come home. At the end of the year I did take a break from school to be closer to family and work and my mom was able to kick the breast cancer while she continued to work full time. 5 years later she was told that she was still cancer free and to celebrate her victory she trained for and completed the Susan G Komen 3 Day Walk for the Cure. I couldn't have been more proud and she was able to raise a lot of money for the organization.

A few years later my dad was diagnosed with blood cancer and after thinking he had kicked it post bone marrow transplant, it came back last year. He has been fighting with it ever since and staying strong. Recently two of my parents friends died of various cancers, so to honor their friends and my dad's struggle, my nearly 60 year old mother decided to train for the Team in Training 1/2 marathon in Chicago to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Her goals were:
    1. To raise at least the minimum of $1000
    2. To no get injured
    3. To not finish last

Not only did she not finish last and not get hurt but she also raised over $3000 and averaged under 10 min/mile! My mom doesn't really drink much, but I'd love to open a bottle at dinner with my family and toast in her honor.

Thanks for the LIF, it is great to be able to share her story! Cheers to all of you and your families.

11. phisigben

phisigben Zealot (710) Jan 8, 2009 Kentucky
    Trader

My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2010. At the time I just graduated from college in 2009 and just moved into a apartment 6 months prior to her diagnoses. I broke my lease and moved back home to help take care for her and help pay the bills. Thankfully she caught it early (Stage 2) after 6 months of chemo and a surgery to remove the lumps and her lymph nodes she is now in remission for the past year. The picture is of me and my mom shortly after she started Chemo and I helped her buzz her head. [​IMG]

12. thagr81us

thagr81us Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2010 South Carolina

Very good of you for doing this! I have been fortunate enough to not have or lose anyone I was close to to breast cancer. However, my best to those who have.

13. IrishColonial

IrishColonial Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2010 Texas

Great LIF idea! As someone who has recently traded with Kurtis, he is definitely the epitome of a helpful and generous BA. My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years ago. No one else in our family had ever had it so it was somewhat of a surprise. Anyway, it was a blessing that the doctors caught it early and my aunt requested a masectomy immediately. Post-masectomy, she was cancer free and still remains cancer free until this day. Talk about a cancer ass-kicking! You don't need to send me a bottle as I am unsure if she enjoys raspberry sours but just wanted to share her story. Cheers to Kurtis and double cheers to all the courageous women out there fighting this terrible affliction.

14. kristalynn

kristalynn Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2012 California

i love this idea, Kurtis.
    will you forward one of the BMs my way so i can send a bottle out in support?

15. NoSignsOfPain

NoSignsOfPain Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 California

Man, you Hammond's are a tough bunch! Such an amazing family.

16. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

also not entering but just wanted to share

mom found out she had breast cancer last year & thanks to early detection they were able to go in surgically & slice any irregularities out as well as start chemo before it spread. they found out that it's her hormone medication that was causing the unusual growth so while she has to find a different way to regulate her hypothyroidism she is now cancer-free! hooray for survivors & BA advocacy, cheers!

17. leschkie

leschkie Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 California

Absolutely, thank you Krista!

And thanks to everyone thus far who have shared such inspiring stories regarding their loved ones' struggle, courage, strength, and conquest over not only breast, but other cancers as well! This is definitely a cause that a majority of us can relate to and celebrate in together as a community.

Just a quick update. Thus far we are sending out bottles of FfaC to 9 of our BA friends to share with their surviving loved ones! How awesome is that!!! And a special thank you to TheGr8BeerState, kristalynn, and another BA who wished to remain anonymous for purchasing and sending out bottles as part of this LIF. And another thank you to Shagtastic for volunteering to purchase a bottle as well.

18. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2010 Minnesota

Thanks for putting this LIF together!

My aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer seven years ago. She and my uncle were blown away since she was not even forty. She battled the cancer tooth and nail for over a year. She lost her job, they lost their house, filed bankruptcy, and struggled to make ends meet after she had a double mastectomy.

Fast forward six years: she is still in remission, they have a new house, she got her job back, and she has participated in the race for the cure the past four years.

Cancer sucks, but people keep kicking its butt with the help of those who care (Doctors, companies, friends, family, BAs, etc).

Leschkie, your generousity is crazy huge and I know it will not go unnoticed by your fellow BAs!

19. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Illinois

Not trying to get in as I do not qualify, but just want to say thank you, as my mother fought cervical cancer and kicked the shit outta it!

20. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

My grandma is a tough one. In the past 10 years, she had been diagnosed with breast cancer two separate times, and had two other types of cancer. Beat em all and continues on like a boss. She is a source of strength in the family and continually shows that you can overcome just about anything.

I've never participated in these things before, but she's German and grew up loving beer. I'd love to share this with her.

What your doing in this post is just awesome. Kudos to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.