Favorite German breweries outside of Bavaria

Discussion in 'Germany' started by whatsgoody, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Zealot (697) Nov 16, 2012 Vermont

The title says it all. We know that some of the world's best breweries and beers come from Bavaria. It's my favorite state in Germany, and the beer has a lot to do with that. All of my top five German breweries are located in Bavaria. (Favorites are Schneider Weisse for weizens, Andechs for all other styles).

But here's my question. What are the best breweries outside of Bavaria, the ones that are worth seeking out if you happen to be in that part of the country?

My top 3:

Alpirsbacher
    Uerige
    Rothaus

Thoughts?

2. einhorn

einhorn Savant (1,141) Nov 3, 2005 California

Nice short list. IMO there are plenty of great places in Baden-Wuerttemberg. I picked up a case of the Schwaben-Braeu Naturtruebe the other day and I am enjoying it immensely with our hot weather.

Jeffreysan likes this.
  3. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

You absolutely must see Brauhaus Schmidt in Singen, Thueringen, Bolten in Moenchengladbach, and Felsenkeller Brauerei in Monschau. Very limited, very rare beers. Not officially Germany, but if you're in Inneralpbach in Tirol, Austria, then you have to go to Brauerei Kristall, as their Zwickl won gold at the European Beer Star awards.

Seriously though, there are hundreds of excellent breweries outside of Bavaria. Dozens in Koeln and Duesseldorf alone, and lots speckled throughout B-W, NRW, Rheinalnd-Pfalz, Thuringia, and Sachsen. Go find them. It'll be fun.

4. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Have to give a vote to Stuttgart -- had a great time at the Völkfest and enjoyed all the beer. Tried a few smaller breweries around the are too and though they were terrific.

Jeffreysan likes this.
  5. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2009 Arizona

Not in any order:
    Bitburger in Bitburg
    Schumachers and Uerige in Dusseldorf
    Peters and Fruh in Cologne
    Eichbaum in Mannheim
    Badisch Brauhaus in Karlsruhe
    Sophie's in Stuttgart
    Amadeus in Baden Baden
    Koningsbacher in Koblenz

6. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Rothaus
    Uerige
    Freigeist
    Wöllnitzer
    Hütt Naturtrüb is quite good, even though the rest of their beers are crap
    E.Ortmanns in Aachen has done some nice beers

7. TreinJan

TreinJan Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2006 Netherlands

Some favourites:
    Pinkus Müller in Münster (Westfalen)
    Schumacher in Düsseldorf
    Bolten in Korschenbroich (near Mönchengladbach)
    Päffgen and Malzmühle in Köln
    Bayerischer Bahnhof in Leipzig
    and several of the ones already mentioned, like Rothaus

8. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Can we just nominate the entire town?

[​IMG]

Although my favorite (so far)(as others have mentioned):

[​IMG]

seanyfo and boddhitree like this.
  9. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Eh? Missed this yesterday -- Is this a part of your distributorship/import (can't recall exactly what your beer-biz is) portfolio? I've been waiting (not so) patiently for the return of Dinkel Acker to the US and would love to find some Schwabenbräu too!

einhorn likes this.
  10. einhorn

Yes, Steve. It's not my business, I work for the importer with local sales of the brands. From what I see, the Natuertrueb and the Schwarzbier from Schwaben are coming in along with Dinkel Acker pilsner. S&H is taking over Flensburger, Weltenburger, Andechs and are in talks with Rothaus. Sweet line up if you ask me.

russpowell and Jeffreysan like this.
  11. Gutes_Bier

Rothaus, really? I sent them an e-mail a while back asking if they were sold in the US and they said no, to do that they would have to pasteurize their beers and they weren't willing to do that.

12. einhorn

That is possible. This could be one of the issues they are facing. There has been a changing of the guard at Rothaus, and I think that sales are slumping. Combine that with the 17 million EURO yearly flowing into the BaWü piggy bank and you can believe they want to keep it coming. Will keep you guys posted.

13. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Very sweet lineup -- love to be able to get Rothaus, let alone my favorite German Pils once again.

When is S&H's lineup supposed to spread across the country? If you know, that is.

14. einhorn

Both Schwaben/Dinkel-Acker and Weltenburger are available now. They also handle Früh BTW. The Andechs is not in yet - from what I know it's just a matter of time.

15. Bierman9

Bierman9 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,669) Dec 20, 2001 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wait! There are parts of Germany outside of Bayern?? ;-) Damn, I gots to get out more often....

Prosit!!!

16. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Zealot (697) Nov 16, 2012 Vermont

Great responses! I especially like the looks of some of the smaller ones mentioned.

Another couple favorites that are slightly less well-known...

Kulturbrauerei Heidelberg (aka "Scheffel's")
    Alt-Oberurseler just outside of Frankfurt

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

My favorite German brewery is Jever since I am a big fan of Jever Pilsner.

Prost!

Vonstein15 likes this.
  18. Erzengel

Erzengel Zealot (523) Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Trader

Vormann in Hagen (NRW) - nice family-owned small brewery with great beers!
    And in Düsseldorf: Uerige!

19. Gutes_Bier

I live in HD and take visitors to Kulturbrauerei. It's right in the middle of the tourist district, but the space is very good and the food isn't bad (a little pricey for what it is, but that goes with the tourist territory). Their seasonal beers have been really good lately, the Spring Wheat in particular was delicious, and not long ago I got a 1L takeaway of their porter which was very good. And that's saying something because I haven't had a lot of good German made porters.

[​IMG]

20. Bobator

Bobator Aspirant (259) May 23, 2006 California

Einbecker Brauhaus, Edelweissbrauerei Farny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.