Everything Freetail

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by atxdelivery, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Texas

I just wanted to post this because I am tired of seeing the Jester King thread. FT is by far my favorite Texas brewery and I am not afraid to say so. IMO there is no comparison between the two. Now who has enjoyed their beers from the latest release and who has worked out some killer trades?

Josh

2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

I traded a Whiskey Rodeo for a White Chocolate...I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with my bottle of Fortuna. But seriously, Freetail makes awesome beer. I had Raspberry Ananke last night and it was very good.

BgThang likes this.
  3. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

I'm holding onto my Raspberry Ananke for a while. In a year or two, I'd like to do a side-by-side with the Lolita I bought last month.

Haven't completed any trades yet, but I have two set up for sometime next month. Hoping to score some DuClaw Retribution and DC Brau On the Wings of Armageddon.

And yes, Freetail 100% deserves its own thread.

4. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2007 Minnesota

Oh yeah, one more thing...

[​IMG]

Citra for their Fresh Hop Da Truck. I foresee many lunch breaks at the pub soon.

5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

I've only been to freetail twice but I've been pretty impressed so far. The last bottle release was the shit! A couple of reasons I'd give them the nod over jester king:

Quality control
    Variety of styles (only farmhouse yeast with jk gets a bit old)

The only drawback is that I can't afford to drive to San Antonio all the time. If they'd open a location in Austin I'd bet it would do very well. Also sounds like Scott is trying to do his part in helping to change beer laws. His recent research study on the growth of breweries in Texas had some pretty good info.

blatherbeard likes this.
  6. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Initiate (0) Sep 23, 2005 Texas

I love both breweries for different reasons. But both have had issues with QC. Freetail had infected bottles of BA La Muerta and BA Old Bat Rastard before they switched up their barrel-aging program to wild ales. Jester King, to my knowledge, has never had an infection issue (unless Funk Metal was a serendipitous accident), although they do struggle with getting carbonation levels right in their bottle conditioned beers.

On the issue of style variety, one is a brewpub and one is a production brewery. This really isn't comparable IMO. Also, while JK has switched over to Farmhouse yeast, it's not their only means of fermentation, as they use a variety of pedio, lacto, and brettanomyces in their wild ales.

To add to the trade database, in the past few months I've traded both Jester King and Freetail beers for: Captain Lawrence wild ales, Fremont barrel aged beers, off-the-shelf Perennial, BCBS, KBS, Founders CBH, and (as part of a trade for) King Henry. I've also enjoyed my fair share of Rodeo variants and Freetail Wilds. We're entering a golden age here in Texas, boys (and gals)!

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2012 Texas

They are both awesome and thankfully they are OUR's! I will for sure be attending as many future events as possible. Great beer + great people = great times

On the trade end. I nabbed a HF/Vermont box with (Vera Mae, Art, E, and Heady extras) for various Freetail beers...one of them being a Fortuna. Separately I nabbed a box of Cigar City (Cucumber, Leon, etc.) for a JK/Freetail combo wild box. Gots crickets when trying to get Mexican Cake though

thirdeye11 likes this.
  8. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

I got Mexican Cake for a mix of locals. (Including Black Metal & Freetail) This was well before it's "value" soared. He also threw in a Sexy Chocolate, DL '10, and Behemoth as extras.

H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  9. mhenson42

mhenson42 Maven (1,409) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I'm thinking of trading my Mexican cake for sopapillas....:slight_smile:

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  10. H0rnedFr0gs

Completed a trade for Weyerbacher Riserva '9-'11 as well for a mix of JK and Freetail. Thanks to miike for my new favorite sour addiction

11. wolffman17

wolffman17 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2005 Texas

Am I the only one that drinks them instead of trading them?? :wink:

Riccymon likes this.
  12. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Nope...i just buy a few extra in case good trades pop up :wink:

nate8767, texasclimber and wolffman17 like this.
  13. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

The majority of my haul is more me but I also got some for family, friends, and regular traders. Need to spread something this good at least a little.

14. westxbk

westxbk Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2010 Texas

15. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

^^ I know where I'm headed tonight

wreckem8010 likes this.
  16. jl28r1

jl28r1 Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2011 Texas

I do both! Best of both worlds but my wallet hates my guts right now!

17. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Nope, i trade nearly nothing but drink it all, either with friends or alone.

Speaking of which, i think im gonna bring 512 to the la muerta release. Yes, that one.

Should we start thinking of whos bringing what?

18. H0rnedFr0gs

Hoping that my trade for Leon goes through in time. If anyone has a particular want or two I wouldn't mind throwing down a bottle or two of something to make it happen. Maybe a EBW lineup?

19. miikezombie

miikezombie Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Texas

That's not the only thing that hates you...

20. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Speaking of Freetail, anyone gonna be there today? Me and a buddy are going to be there sometime this afternoon. Hitting bastrop for breakfast and to show him a storefront that could possibly be a brewpub someday.

Maybe sometime around 3pmish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.