Everything Deep Ellum

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Ford, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattisloco

mattisloco Maven (1,294) Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Trader

Someone called me "Mr Off Topic in the Southwest Forum" I'm just livin' up to my name.

jl28r1 likes this.
  2. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Fistbump!

Deep Ellum makes beer - phwew, back on topic.

3. lonestarbev

lonestarbev Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2006 Texas

Deep Ellum is not bottling the Cherry Chocolate or the Dreamcrusher this year.
    They will do so in the future, but from what i was told, there will be not bottles this time around. : (

mattisloco likes this.
  4. UtisTheLaw

UtisTheLaw Pundit (840) Jul 26, 2012 Texas

I believe they only did 500 bombers of Dreamcrusher last year. It was more of an experiement than anything. My guess is that it will be like with the CCBS, and your best bet will be to get a growler fill somehwere.

lonestarbev likes this.
  5. gottabetweed

gottabetweed Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2008 Texas

Listen to this man. He has Ace Frehley as his avatar. He is obviously an authority on all things kick ass.

Ford and mattisloco like this.
  6. UtisTheLaw

mattisloco likes this.
  7. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Texas

Had Cherry Chocolate last night and I didnt get any cherries or choclolate - all I got was coffee, in your face coffee. Lips of Faith was much better IMHO.

8. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not to pile on, though I think Karback and Deep Ellum have been my favorite Texas breweries over the last year or so. Deep Ellum Rye Pilz is amazing as is Farmhouse Wit. Their many stouts, and Wealth & Taste (being one of my favorites last year from any brewery in the country). I actually really like their Blond as well. They have had a few duds (like any brewery), but overall I think they are excellent.

9. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Zealot (722) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

I expected people to disagree. I haven't had any of the stouts but I did have each of the others you listed and didn't like them. I wanted to like them, I tried several, they aren't for me.

I'm glad other people enjoy local beers even if I don't like those particular beers.

cfh64 and champ103 like this.
  10. GregSVT

GregSVT Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 Texas

Deep Ellum has issues. For anyone blindly defending them you obviously haven't bought many of their bottled/canned product recently. I bought a lot of their bottled IPA, which I love, over the course of a few weeks after it was released and it tasted great for a while. After that it had major carb issues and tasted nothing like it was supposed to. I opened one up about 3 weeks ago and it gushed out of the bottle and when I drain poured it the beer was all foam. I had to drain pour another 4 bottles from the same sixpack that had the same issue. The beer I could drink tasted earthy and nothing like it should. I sent them a facebook message detailing my findings but they never responded.

Fast forward to this week and I bought their canned IPA hoping they had fixed the issues. This was different. It tasted nothing like the previous IPA. It was extremely bitter and not as fruity and balanced as previous iterations. It tasted like a completely different beer. I just opened another one to make sure and it's the same...super bitter and an off smell I can't place. Almost soapy. They seem to have not only bottling/canning issues but also recipe issues.

I've never had a problem with their beer on draft so I may just stick to that while they work out their QC issues. Crazy how Lakewood can put out quality bottled product but these guys have issues and they've been around just as long. I feel horrible for including the bottled IPA as extras in some trades earlier this year before I learned of the issues. I was going to put some of the cans into a package for next week but I can't do it in light of what I'm tasting from this can.

For the record I have liked most of what they put out on draft. Wealth and Taste is greatness and I have bought a lot of their IPA. I'd like to see one of their reps speak to these problems...we'll see if Tait or someone else responds.

jsboots21 and air like this.
  11. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

I have a growler.. and I get cherry more in the smell...and some chocolate in the taste... I think it's good. Would have again.

12. Ford

Hmm.. being in Houston I have only had their beers on draft.. and all have been fine... it isn't that unusual to see bottling problems though in the early years of breweries.. it is another ball game.

13. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Considering you have a growler, I'd say you'd have it again.

Ford likes this.
  14. Ford

ha...... that is a good point... I guess I should have said.. would fill again...

15. mattisloco

Trader

That's not good news at all. I got a 6pk of cans from Specs and another from Broadway. Both were fruity excellence, it sucks yours weren't.

16. r0nburgundy69

r0nburgundy69 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Texas

ISO: Kyles Killer Lemonade (KKL) FT: rare whalez

mattisloco likes this.
  17. UtisTheLaw

Had Dreamcrusher last night, and it was pretty damn good. If you get a chance to try it this year, it will only be around for a short period.

They did also have a slim of their Santa Quad at Common Table, apparently the only keg to leave the brewery. For 12% it was surprisingly smooth. Primary and secondary fermented in Rye barrels, and also barrel aged.

18. jsboots21

jsboots21 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2009 Tennessee

Anyone looking to let a beer live up to its name can check out the Libertine Bar's Facebook and has a chance to vote to try "Vintage Dreamcrusher." I'm astounded there are votes for a year-old IPA, especially considering it's going up against the freaking king of TX beers, Real Ale Mysterium Verum Barrel Aged XV Anniversary Stout.

Where have all the beer geeks gone?

puddledynamics and air like this.
  19. air

air Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2007 Texas

That's a no-brainer right there. I'm baffled at how anyone would be interested in trying a year-old IPA.

My experience with DEBC mirrors everything GregSVT and reverseapachemaster said. I tend to only try their beer on draft and frankly, even then the IPA is still all over the place. I admit Darkest Hour was enjoyable, but nothing personal, there's better beer out on the market.

fragilehearted likes this.
  20. mattisloco

Trader

This IIPA is thought to turn into something like a barleywine. If you've never taken a high alcohol IIPA and aged it I highly recommend. I have a bottle of Dream Crusher from last year I hope has turned into something beautiful, I plan on opening it around my birthday in a couple of weeks.

JJFoodie and WickedSluggy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.