Double Bastard. Fresh or aged?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Ipaupaweallpa, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Pundit (998) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Trader

Hey guys finally had the opportunity to pick up some double bastard. Had a super fresh arrogant bastard last night and it was amazing, could totally tell a difference. Is double bastard like this too or does it smooth out over time?

2. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I bought a case of 12 bottles back in 2010 and have been drinking a bottle every 6 months or so.

It starts very aggressively hoppy, but after a couple of years, the rich malt flavors start to take over. So it's great either way, fresh or aged. Just different.

swoopdog likes this.
  3. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Pundit (998) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Trader

Cool thanks man

4. CaptainBoosh

CaptainBoosh Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2014 Nevada

I've had it fresh and as old as ten years. It was delicious both ways, for different reasons. Agree with jmdrpi, so if you love the happiness drink fresh, but even as it ages it still has a little of the hop goodness in the background.

5. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

Answering the OP question - both!

I'm looking to picking a 2015 to finish off a 5 year vertical, this is an intense and amazing beer that ages well, but is also an adventure fresh.

neurobot01 likes this.
  6. egoo33

egoo33 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2010 Illinois

I like them aged they taste too hot for me fresh.

7. headbangingteacher

headbangingteacher Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2015 Maryland

I just had one a few days over a year old, and it was fantastic.

8. OnePuttBlunder

OnePuttBlunder Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2015 Arizona

I just drank a 2 year old double bastard i had aged. Definitely preferred that over fresh. Quite a bit smoother with less alcohol heat compared to fresh. Not sure it was worth 2 years in the limited storage space i have but still a good beer that ages very well

9. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

It's absurd to let the fresh hop character go to waste. If you enjoyed it fresh then appreciate it as is. The only thing long term aging will do is make the malt develop a bit more toffee notes and sherry. Once oxidized over a long time you will find these characteristics to develop. It's not necessarily better than the fresh product.

That fresh stone character is something you will lose if you age them long enough, in other words if you are happy now, no reason to age...

10. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

I cannot stand fresh DB, way too hoppy and boozy too. Three years gives it a beautiful sherry quality with very little bitterness left.

11. ericwo

ericwo Zealot (560) Aug 21, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I've had them both fresh and with up to 4+ years of aging, and my honest impression is that this beer just doesn't change over time. It doesn't get better but it doesn't get any worse either. I stopped buying it for the cellar.

12. bgold86

bgold86 Pooh-Bah (1,836) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

have a 2009 and 2010, really tempted to give em a whirl...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.