Dogfish Head releases Mandarin & Mango Crush, Utopias Barrel-Aged 120 Minute IPA, New Variety Pack

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Kicks-Off the Spring Season with Three New Beer Options

MILTON, Del. (Wednesday, March 29, 2023) – Spring has officially sprung, and Dogfish Head Craft Brewery is celebrating the season with three new beer options, Utopias Barrel-Aged 120 Minute IPA, Mandarin & Mango Crush and the Off-Centered Variety Pack. Each of these off-centered packages is now making its way from coast-to-coast. Folks can track them down using Dogfish Head Fish Finder.

“Warm weather and beer go hand-in-hand. There’s no better feeling than being outside and enjoying a tasty brew as you revel in Mother Nature’s goodness,” said Dogfish Head Founder & Brewer, Sam Calagione. “Typically, we tend to associate light and fruity beers – like our Mandarin & Mango Crush – with the spring and summer seasons, but there’s always a place for a big, bold sipper – like Utopias Barrel-Aged 120 Minute IPA, even during the warmer times of year. With these new product launches and the debut of our Off-Centered Variety Pack, we’re giving folks a whole gamut of drinking options, each of which is uniquely suited to kick off the spring sipping season!”

MANDARIN & MANGO CRUSH (6.0% ABV):
    The second beer out of this year’s Off-Centered Art Series, Dogfish Head’s annual collection of four beers featuring artwork by a collaborating artist, Mandarin & Mango Crush is a citrusy fruit beer brewed with boatloads of mandarin oranges and mangos. The beer equivalent of the Mid-Atlantic region’s iconic “Crush Cocktail,” a delicious elixir featuring fresh, hand-crushed fruit juice, Mandarin & Mango Crush features artwork by Natalya Balnova, a New York-based illustrator, designer and printmaker, and this year’s Off-Centered Art Series artist. Lightly sweet with a refreshing citrusy tartness and a crisp, dry finish, Mandarin & Mango Crush was first released in 2022, but this year, it will make its debut in 6pk/12oz cans.

UTOPIAS BARREL-AGED 120 MINUTE IPA (15-20% ABV):
    Dogfish Head’s iconic 120 Minute IPA is an imperial IPA continuously hopped with a copious amount of high-alpha American hops throughout the boil and then dry-hopped with even more hops for an unfiltered and abundantly hoppy brew. A new iteration of 120 Minute IPA, Utopias Barrel-Aged 120 Minute IPA takes the brewery’s fan-favorite beer and ages it for a year in freshly emptied Utopias barrels from Samuel Adams. The resulting deep copper-colored beer is bursting with sweet, almost candy-like aromas of citrus and pine, complemented by hoppy, resiny flavors and a lingering bitterness.

THE OFF-CENTERED VARIETY PACK:
    Featuring a delicious mix of four off-centered beer styles, Dogfish Head Off-Centered Variety Pack (12pk/12oz cans) including three cans of each of the following beers.
    • 60 Minute IPA (6.0% ABV): A surprisingly sessionable, continually hopped IPA delivering pungent, citrusy, grassy hop flavors without being crushingly bitter.
    • SeaQuench Ale (4.9% ABV): A session sour mash-up of a crisp Kolsch, a salty Gose and a tart Berliner Weiss brewed in sequence with black limes, sour lime juice and sea salt.
    • Blue Hen Pilsner (4.8% ABV): A crisp and refreshing pilsner brewed with only four ingredients – water, hops, yeast and Delaware-grown and malted barley.
    • Citrus Squall (8.0% ABV): The perfect storm of a double golden ale and a paloma cocktail brewed with grapefruit juice, blue agave nectar, lime peels and a touch of sea salt.
    For more information about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, please visit www.dogfish.com.

###

JBogan, micada, silversurfs and 11 others like this.
  2. NorsemanOne

NorsemanOne Pooh-Bah (2,069) Sep 17, 2021 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Haven't been able to find fresh 120 Minute around here, but a BA version would no longer give me those troubles.... I'm down!

GuyFawkes, Rocktire, micada and 7 others like this.
  3. ramseye4

ramseye4 Savant (1,246) May 14, 2010 Virginia

Ooooo that 120 is mighty tempting

4. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah man...Utopias worked well with world wide, why wouldn't this?

micada, crazyspicychef, Rug and 2 others like this.
  5. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Pundit (998) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Trader

Is 120 some good currency for trades? I can usually find at least a couple cases in tallahassee

BJB13 likes this.
  6. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Isn’t Utopia more of a cuvée blend than anything? I’ve always been under the impression, as opposed to them having a whole batch of brewed utopias that they then more from one type of barrel to the next. So if that’s true, and I think it is, it’s kind of a misnomer to call it a utopias barrel aged 120min.

Also, I firmly believe that not everything needs to be barrel aged and that base beers don’t necessarily automatically get better when you aged them in a barrel. Lastly, I am a huge fan of regular 120 Min which I really believe is a work of art and massively under appreciated.

All that being said I’ll probably try this, because i’m a sucker.

Scott586, jmdrpi, o29 and 8 others like this.
  7. zac16125

zac16125 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,358) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I haven’t traded in years but I would guess not.

It IS, however, good currency for cellaring! So buy up one of those cases and get to experimenting. I suspect you will enjoy them for many years (and post your results in the BA Cellar Review thread!)

silversurfs, jasonmason, Rug and 3 others like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,326) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Utopias BA 120 will be insane! I'll load up on that...

9. bbtkd

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Fish Finder doesn't list the Utopias 120, just regular 120.

Rug and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  10. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,561) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I talked to our local DFH rep. about it today. It isn't in their system yet, but he will look into it. I know it will be expensive, but, based on the regular 120, and the Utopia barrel WWS, it should be amazing.

11. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone have any insight or guess as to the distribution of 120 Utopias? Never saw the WWS version of it here in Minnesota (as far as I know).

micada likes this.
  12. bbtkd

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It probably has the same distribution as 120 last year or Utopias WWS in 2021. I'm in South Dakota and we got both. I'm still seeing 120 on the shelves here after almost a year, and we had Utopias WWS on shelves for over three months. Another clue is that it's being sold in fours, rather than a fancy single. I'd venture a guess it'll be in their complete distribution footprint, and in decent quantity. I'll buy at least three fours without trying it first.

Jaycase, Rug, maximum12 and 1 other person like this.
  13. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Grand Pooh-Bah (3,036) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I still miss the Ancient Ales. How about a variety pack?

14. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, we see most of their distributed beers but not the WWS Utopias. Here's to hoping!

bbtkd likes this.
  15. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The WWS BA Utopias did have distro in 2021 in Minneapolis.

bbtkd likes this.
  16. o29

o29 Savant (1,141) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

Not saying I won't try it and that it might not be good, but aging an imperial stout in barrels is pretty common as the roast-y, robust flavors tend to complement certain barrel characteristics.

Aging an imperial IPA in barrels on the other hand is quite different, and I imagine that there's a reason they chose to try making and gauging the success of Utopias BA WWS before this.

I'm definitely interested to see how the flavors work together, but the idea of a super hoppy and malty IPA picking up barrel flavors or some of the cherry-like qualities of the latest Utopias batch doesn't sound quite like as much of an automatic slam dunk to me as it did for Utopias BA WWS.

Edit: The "Flavor" category of DFH's website doesn't offer any insight here either as it reads: "Hoppy with some hop resin characte[sic]". You don't say...

AlcahueteJ, Roguer, bbtkd and 2 others like this.
  17. DIM

DIM Grand Pooh-Bah (4,134) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I agree that an imperial IPA aged in utopia's barrels doesn't sound good.

Tasted blind, I don't think many people would identify 120 as an imperial IPA. Comes across as more of an obnoxiously sweet barley wine to me, which could work well with these barrels. I'm in for a single, probably not a pack.

AlcahueteJ, Roguer, Jaycase and 4 others like this.
  18. Rug

Rug Grand Pooh-Bah (3,300) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Even if you can't find it fresh, it's great with some age on it!

19. Rug

Rug Grand Pooh-Bah (3,300) Aug 20, 2018 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm all in for Utopias BA 120. I'm loading up the cellar once I find it

20. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Maven (1,427) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

I'll try one of the 120's, if I can find one, just because.
    That's the only one on the list that even sounds remotely interesting.
    I highly doubt that it will be an improvement though.
    What's next, barrel aged 90 min?
    I think the Midas Touch would be good with a Utopias barrel touch to it?
    Maybe not.

bbtkd likes this.