Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Divine Reserve 13

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by JohnBender, Dec 19, 2012.

1. awinkro

awinkro Savant (380) Texas Oct 15, 2008 Verified

Call me a homer or whatever, gomezman78 knocked it out of the park with this. It's to style, but more importantly a great beer.
    HoustonZ33, Clonies720 and champ103 like this.
  2. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Advocate (555) Texas Feb 21, 2011 Verified

Wait, so gomezman designed this beer? I hope he gets a huge bonus, and a free pass to hoard cases!
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  3. champ103

champ103 Champion (965) Texas Sep 3, 2007 Verified

I just had two more at Cottonwood today. I can't remember a DR that was so easy to drink fresh, but still hit all the good notes of the style at the same time.
  4. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I like it much better then Rochefort 10 actually.
  5. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

.............. Lucky you. 1/2 the price. Time to stock up. For me Rochefort 10 and 8 are higher than this, but 13 is not too far behind.
  6. mindswoop

mindswoop Savant (255) Texas Dec 22, 2011

It's easy to bitch about the hype of DR releases, but get real people. DR13 is a very good quad. Maybe it's not better than 2 or 3 of them, but geez, it's definitely worth buying an drinking.
    HoustonZ33 likes this.
  7. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I will say that its on par with Boulevards offerings IMO.
  8. blatherbeard

almost 22, been living with us actually for a few months, they are "together", and he is a very respectful guy, always shakes my hand and talks to me when he comes over,and the wife had a LOOOOONG talk with him an believes that even if he and the daughter dont make it, he will be there.

and my choice for meetup would be westside just because of the volume of offerings.

although ive never given walt's homefield the chance it deserves so there is an arguement to me made for a meetup there.
  9. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I agree, pretty close. I do think that Sixth Glass is just a bit better, but DR 13 is great.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  10. Danielbt

I lean towards Homefield. Walt knows his shit.
    Walt likes this.
  11. crusian

crusian Advocate (665) Oregon May 14, 2010 Verified

Man, that's a tough one. 22 is young, and living at home is worse. Don't knock yourself out about how it happened or where. It's in the past. You will only stress yourself out. Focus on the future and where their heads are with it. Despite what you think, and where she lives... She has her life... Just do what you can to make aure that the kid is taken care of by them both.
    blatherbeard likes this.
  12. blatherbeard

Next time we meet......well would be the first time...and ill buy you a beer man.

thanks for the words.
  13. crusian

crusian Advocate (665) Oregon May 14, 2010 Verified

There is a reason I stopped being a counselor. Wait... I mean I was a counselor once... No... That's not right... Hmm. I used to be a counselor before people sucked me dry... That's sounds worse... Nevermind. I'm a drunk.
  14. Danielbt

Agreed. That's what I meant by being pragmatic. You may want to rage and berate her for being dumb, but that won't help her or the baby, it'll just drive her away. Sometimes you just gotta bite your tongue and do what you can to ensure you have a chance to help and guide.

I fortunately don't have personal experience with this kind of thing, but I have listened to more than my fair share of people lament about the things they fucked up in their lives.

First round's on me at the meetup, grandpops. ;)
    blatherbeard likes this.
  15. Count me in for a north side meetup or bottle share. I have too much good beer hanging around...
    [Edit] for North Austin or Round Rock.
  16. rainerschuhsler

rainerschuhsler Savant (405) Texas May 17, 2012 Verified

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

How does DR13 compare to DR2? I imagine most of us haven't had DR2 (I haven't) but it was also a quad.
  17. Danielbt

Can't do a bottle share at Homefield, but possibly could at Flix if Walt was alright with it. No clue on Westside; do they have a mixed license? Only got beer there the couple times I went.
  18. icetrauma

icetrauma Advocate (505) Texas Sep 7, 2004

As previously stated, I was not impressed with DR 2. Did not get any DR 13. UHCougar12 has a bottle of DR 2.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  19. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (275) Texas Sep 6, 2010

I'd be in as well.
  20. Danielbt

21. gomezman78

gomezman78 Aficionado (215) Texas Mar 30, 2011

I paid him to say that.
    canadianghetto and Clonies720 like this.
  22. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Champion (755) Texas Dec 28, 2012 Verified

I saw this on Untapped last night and got a kick outta it. You like what you like I guess?? I for one got a totally different taste towards the end of my glass as it warmed. This guy surely did not experience that.

HopAG and twiggamortis420 like this.
  23. cfh64

cfh64 Champion (785) Texas Aug 16, 2005 Verified

Whats the problem, you don't enjoy your craft beer served in ice cold mugs with a nice layer of slush on the top? You don't like to "taste the cold"?

You're crazy, I can't stand anything not served in a good old fashioned frosted mug, especially big stouts. I love BA stouts but as soon as the beer starts warming up, I hate them. The barrel flavor really starts to come through (ie vanilla, oak, etc) and it starts tasting really bad. Same with IPA's, they're pretty good until I can actually taste the hops then I want to vomit.
    icetrauma, Ford, UHCougar12 and 4 others like this.
  24. StArnoldFan

I was literally laughing out loud reading your whole post. Thanks for my morning laugh. Shall be a good Friday now.
    cfh64 likes this.
  25. StArnoldFan

To this guys defense, I had BB2 at BWW and they brought out the bottle and a frosted shaker pint. I didn't want to be a dick/beer snob and tell the waitress to get me another glass so when she walked off I went to the bar and asked for a glass and got 1 no questions asked. Some places don't even know how to serve the quality stuff they are privalidged to have.
    Ford likes this.
  26. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

DR13 would taste like shit in a frosted mug!

If he gave it a 5, he either doesn't know anything about tasty beer or he waited 3 weeks for it to warm up. :shakeshead:
    blatherbeard likes this.
  27. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Savant (320) Texas Jan 10, 2013 Verified

The hell you say!

But the DR13 is a very good beer, and pretty good price...a little sweeter than I like, but enjoyable...
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (645) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

In case anyone in N. Austin/Round Rock/Cedar Park area needs any DR13, there are a lot of both 6-ers and bombers on the floor at the HEB @ Parmer and 1431 as of noon today.
  29. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Brandon @ D&Q had 4 bottles of DR13 lying on the shelf so I grabbed them. He is "officially" sold out now.

Picked up a few other things that looked interesting/wanted to try. Brandon told me a story about Prearis Quad being done in a side-by-side blind tasting with Westy 12 and was determined to be very close if not a near perfect match (can't remember who he said did this). I just plain love quads so had to try it.

Luchador en Fuego needs no explanation....

Vixnu DIPA from Brazil. The label description was weird so naturally I had to grab a bottle to try this. I'll summarize the label: "A load of sticky hops and a serious backbone of malt. Local rapadura sugar, made from pure sugar cane juice, adds a layer of flavor and lightens the body a little, making for a more drinkable beer".

And been wanting lighter beers to drink now with the hot weather, hence the Barn Burner saison. I'll drink a bottle of the DR13 after my Friday night workout. Because beer re-hydrates you better than water. Science. :cool:
    Ford likes this.
  30. Cablejelly

Cablejelly Savant (275) Texas Sep 6, 2010

Is he breaking 6-packs and selling individual bottles????
  31. Clonies720

Clonies720 Initiate (0) Texas Oct 24, 2012

Yep. He'll do that for any beer really. I didn't see any Karbach barn burner singles so I asked him if I could just break off 1 from a six pack. I did.
  32. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (290) Texas Jul 12, 2012 Verified

He does that for about any beer...all you have to do is ask.. he sold me one bottle of DR13 so I could slang it to my trading patna in California.
  33. Danielbt

I've had both, and didn't think the Prearis anything close to Westy. Or Rochefort, or St. Bernardus.
  34. AlonCicerone

AlonCicerone Zealot (90) Texas Jan 25, 2011

Actually, Prearis Quad is quite dry compared to Westy. Don't get me wrong, I even prefer Prearis to Westy, but they are very different IMHO. A couple more Prearis "facts":1) it did win the Best Craft Beer, Belgium 2011 competition, and 2) it is imported through Authentic Imports via a partnership with Christine Celis.
  35. Ford

Ford Advocate (570) Texas Sep 8, 2012 Verified

I haven't been to a Twin Peaks but their radio ads always talk about their draft beers being served at 32 degrees.. so you know they are serving the good stuff.
    StArnoldFan likes this.
  36. rdooley

rdooley Savant (435) Texas Feb 7, 2013 Verified

Hmmm, when I was in there yesterday afternoon he made it sound like there were only a couple cases of 6ers and one bomber case. Wonder if I was the only person buying DR at that HEB?

Anyways, that's my local HEB so I'm a little glad there is not a lot of rush to get something.
  37. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (645) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

Well, I saw 6-8 6packs and probably 8+ bombers, on the floor under a wine display, so if thats all they have, its not moving fast (which doesnt surprise me in this area). Thats my local HEB too, so you must be close by (I live about 3 miles east of there, just off 1431 in Mayfield Ranch)
  38. rdooley

rdooley Savant (435) Texas Feb 7, 2013 Verified

Indeed, I'm in Silverado Ranch back behind the HEB. Doesn't surprise me too much either considering we live on the OK border (in the words of some of my friends).
    kmello69 likes this.
  39. StArnoldFan

Shiner and Sam is about as crafty as the 1 by my house gets, but the food is pretty damn good. They literally have a thermometer that flicks between 29-32 deg showing how cold their beer is.
    Clonies720 likes this.
  40. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (435) Texas Jan 15, 2009

DR 2 is a totally different kind of "quad". Two beers brewed then blended together in a sort of "quad".