Deschutes Black Butte XXV

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Orca, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2013 California

It's an odd touch, but if the soured part was pasteurized (so it doesn't progress further and overwhelm the rest of the beer), the result could be interesting. Weren't historical porters slightly soured?

2. Devi0us

Devi0us Savant (1,124) May 3, 2011 California
    Trader

RobertColianni likes this.
  3. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,145) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I don't know I wouldn't be too sure. Dale's Pale Ale says pale ale on the label and the brewer has come out and said it is an IPA (as everyone who tasted it already knew).

Not saying you are wrong, but it is certainly heavier than any porter I know, and heavier than many stouts as well.

nsh221, hardy008, pmarlowe and 2 others like this.
  4. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Awesome, have a XXIII and XXIV sitting in the closet. I really wish XXII had been released though, that beer is absolutely delicious.

5. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Oh my...:confused::grimacing::astonished:

66jzmstr likes this.
  6. brother_kenneth

brother_kenneth Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Virginia

Had the last two and thoroughly enjoyed them. Very excited to try this one as well.

7. rtrasr

rtrasr Savant (1,020) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I love Black Butte Porter. Best there is since SA Honey Porter. I will try the XXV and hope it is half as good as their regular porter.

8. JakeEsterly

JakeEsterly Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Pennsylvania

Huge fan of their regular porter...finished up my 6pac of it last week and if it's anything like it then I'll love this too

9. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Generally one of my favorite releases of the year (even moreso than Abyss!). I, too, am a bit skeptical about the the addition of souring, but we will certainly see.

10. a061183

a061183 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2008 Arizona

Sent you a message

11. a061183

a061183 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2008 Arizona

My favorite release is the Dissident but they have only done 2 releases so far and it is hit or miss on that one.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Time to tab the Deschutes Beer Finder so I know when/if it shows up in Casper.:wink:

13. Angst

Angst Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

No you are not! This beer was really sounding good until I read that they "Soured" a small portion of the blend. If I wanted sour in my porter or stout, I'd be trading for infected beers!

Lorianneb and Buff0910 like this.
  14. CAbeerCAbeerCA

CAbeerCAbeerCA Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2011 Maryland

I bet (hope) they pasteurized the soured bit.

15. mporter13

mporter13 Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Oregon

I'm with you here. As great as Abyss is (which is incredibly great) I still get a little more excited for these Black Butte releases

SatlyMalty and BBThunderbolt like this.
  16. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

I loved the Black Buttes I have gotten in the past, but now it will be partly soured.....I'm disappointed. Hate sours

Angst likes this.
  17. Buff0910

Buff0910 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

I want a case if anyone ones to do an epic trade lmk. I'm for real on this. ISO Black Butte xxv

18. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

no, Devi0us is actually wrong. there is no difference between porter and stout. it's just capricious brewer choice what people call such beers. it seems like breweries usually just call their weaker "stout" a porter, but even that isn't as consistently true as, say, the difference between IPA and APA (which as far as i can tell is, simply, if brewery A has an IPA and an APA, the latter is probably lower in alchohol or IBU or both). take any definitional attribute of stout or porter, and you can find that attribute in greater magnitude in some other porter or stout (and saying, "well then it's just not a stout, it's a porter!" then is known as begging the question). if you rather take an historical view of stout and porter, you really lose in saying they're distinct.

===

re: black butte, loved XIII more than XIV, but honestly i loved XIV, so i'll love XV if i end up getting any.

19. csano

csano Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

Three. 2008, 2010, and 2012.

20. besaunders

besaunders Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2007 California

This did not fly off the shelves in San Diego last year, for whatever reason. Better for me!

dianimal and jdmandel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.