Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Des Moines Beer Run

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by TheCondor, Feb 3, 2013.

1. TheCondor

TheCondor Savant (405) Missouri Dec 29, 2011

What are some of the good beers available in Des Moines from the breweries in MN and WI? I have noticed a lot of those breweries do not reach all the way down to KC, but they may distribute to Des Moines. DM is only four hours or so, depending on what is available there that is not here I may have to make a road trip. Can any of you all think of anything in particular off the top of your head? Thanks
  2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (700) Iowa Jan 12, 2013 Verified

Off the top of my head...

Lakefront - WI
    Sprecher - WI
    Chameleon -WI
    Brau Brothers -MN
    Schell's - MN

No New Glarus or Surly, so nothing too amazing as far as WI or MN beers go Iowa, uunfortunately.
    tgchief likes this.
  3. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (700) Iowa Jan 12, 2013 Verified

If you're willing to make the trip to DSM though, it would be well worth your trip to stop by El Bait Shop and fill a growler with some Golden Nugget or PseudoSue from local Iowa brewery, Toppling Goliath. Those 2 beers would probably blow any WI or MN beer that you can get here waaay out of the water. Just sayin.
  4. Pseudo Sue is phenomenal!
    tgchief likes this.
  5. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Aficionado (225) Iowa Sep 9, 2012

Besides Surly and NG, the only breweries I seek out are Schell and Summit. The above posters are right...do yourself a favor and get some Toppling Goliath from El Bait Shop in Des Moines.
    tgchief likes this.
  6. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

Can you get Peace Tree? If not I would get that for sure, also Confluence. Otherwise, what those above have said...
  7. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 29, 2012 Verified

You could use http://seekabrew.com/distro/index.html to compare the distribution.

Summit Saga is about the only beer from them that I've liked, but I like it quite a bit...and it is relatively inexpensive.

Also, another vote for TG.
    tgchief and Hawkharvs like this.