Dark Lord vs. Darkness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by VeganUndead, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Which did you prefer Three Floyds Dark Lord or Surly Darkness?

1. Dark Lord

21.3%
  2. Darkness

78.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia

I just had surly darkness for the first time last night, 2012 vintage, and it was immaculate. I do have a 2011 darkness, as well as a 2012 dark lord. So the question is which overall brew is better. I have heard 2012 isn't the best showing for dark lord, but i'm just looking to get some opinions from people who have tried both, as well as some recommendations for how long to cellar each bottle. Thanks for the info, cheers!

2. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Zealot (584) Jul 17, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I am doing a 2008-2012 Darkness vertical soon, will report back on how the '08 is drinking but have heard it is still fantastic.

3. vacax

vacax Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2008 California

For the last five years or so every year of Dark Lord has been worse than the last. We're talking to the point it has noticeable brewing flaws and most people dump it out at tastings now. It is kind of sad. Darkness is pretty much good every year.

4. Powderhornphil

Powderhornphil Maven (1,392) Apr 30, 2012 Minnesota
    Trader

I had an 08 Darkness about 6 months ago. It was still drinking great.

5. sendsilk

sendsilk Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2007 Florida

Darkness is excellent. Dark Lord is excellent for trading it to dipshits who THINK it's going to be a great beer (like myself).

6. maximum12

maximum12 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,662) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

'08 Dark Lord was better than '08 Darkness.
    Every other year of Darkness superior to every other year of Dark Lord.

Just one man's opinion.

djrn2 and gkatsoris like this.
  7. jatut

jatut Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Minnesota

Cool where do I sign up?

ystazi and brewbetter like this.
  8. lonewolfcry

lonewolfcry Pooh-Bah (1,982) Dec 7, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll bring the '12! :grinning:

9. KevSal

KevSal Pooh-Bah (2,916) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm planing on doing a 10 vs 12 soon and can say I'm very excited for it.

I drank both dl 11 and darkness 11 in a short time frame from each other and I found darkness to be stellar. Dark lord had something in it that I didn't like to much, but it was still good

10. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2012 Virginia

Looks like this is even more one sided than I expected, maybe I should switch it to Darkness vs. the only RIS i've tried that I thought to be superior, Abyss

sarch likes this.
  11. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Minnesota

Only having my first Dark Lord recently (2012 vintage), and being a homer I definitely would go with Darkness. Having only had 2012 Dark Lord the sweetness was overpowering. I still enjoyed Dark Lord but having had most of the vintages of Darkness there was not one year that I would rate lower than the Dark Lord. Seeing the above posts as well as talking to people, I realize that previous years may have been better and my exposure is limited, but in my experience Darkness wins by a mile.

Powderhornphil likes this.
  12. sendsilk

sendsilk Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2007 Florida

Yes, it's called saccharin!

13. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

09 would actually go well over steamed rice. Not as salty as the low sodium soy sauce but has a tad more thickness and more prominent seaweed flavors...

evilc likes this.
  14. 510a

510a Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Washington
    Trader

I have heard DL is beer meets soy sauce. Don't have availability in my area so can't say this would be my opinion. But it might make for some interesting tasting stir fry, perhaps a marinade for a coffee crusted steak...hmm.

15. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

I'm a vegetarian and I wouldn't ruin a steak by pouring dark lord over it.

luwak and evilc like this.
  16. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Curious to see how 07 Darkness is drinking. Can't recall if the Ny whale slayers drank one recently...

17. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

Or the '06 growlers - wonder if any of those 60 still exist.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  18. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

DL was one of the worst beers I have ever had. Had a '12 - was absolutely a disgusting, cloying mess. How that beer gets hype, and how a barrel fixes it - I have no idea.

19. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Pooh-Bah (2,825) Apr 14, 2008 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I fall into that category as well. Dark Lord definitely has the highest hype to lowest quality of any of the hyped beers I've had. I've had a few worse imperial stouts, but only a few and none of which was as difficult to obtain.

gpawned and sendsilk like this.
  20. xanok

xanok Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

I'm not sure who you're drinking with, but this just seems like nonsense/lies/people with bad palates. I haven't had '12, but '11 was fantastic fresh and even better with a year on it. '10 was great fresh, better with a year, and even better with three years on it (had a '10 last night). So if by "last five years" you mean "just vintages 2009 and 2012," you have a point.

nben60 and Irishace9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.