Dark Lord Day 2012 Rule Changes

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterSki

MasterSki Grand Pooh-Bah (4,824) Dec 25, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The line-cutters certainly aren't going to call me out, and on the rare occasion an original line member does say something I just explain what I'm doing and encourage him or her to do likewise. Just because you're getting bent over a table by line-cutters doesn't mean I'm going to sit there and take it too...

2. nozferatu46

nozferatu46 Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2008 Indiana

I skipped last years, and will skip this years. Its gotten too big, and last time I went I got my beer and left. Just isn't fun (for me) anymore. Rather than complain that it isn't like the past years where I could do just about anything, and still walk around... I just don't go.

AlexHouston likes this.
  3. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Indiana

Coolers allowed outside the fenced area? Thinking of just hanging out outside the grounds and trading for a bottle from someone willing to stand in line.

biglobo8971 likes this.
  4. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

Whether or not they allow coolers outside the fence, there will be coolers, chairs, and grills. Some people will get there and line up before most of the staff does. Just don't whimper when they tell you that you can't bring it in.

5. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Pundit (805) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

I get your logic here... but there is zero chance I would let this fly if you jumped directly in front of me.

Say something to the people jumping in the line instead of taking the approach of finding a solution that provides "fairness" to only you. And just so we are clear here... if everyone took your approach, their would be a freaking riot at the brewery so that's not realistic to go around telling everyone to do this just because you are.

elephantrider likes this.
  6. MasterSki

MasterSki Grand Pooh-Bah (4,824) Dec 25, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You think it's realistic for me to police the entire line in front of me? If I'm 100th in line when I first arrive I certainly can't keep track of all the line-cutting that is happening all the way up at the front. Why should I get fucked over because people 70 spots in front of me are too lazy/passive to speak up? I'm only able to practically monitor my immediate surroundings.

If you (and everyone else out there) do your part and prevent the line-cutting going on in front of you, then I won't be forced to re-assert my original spot in the queue. If you are a) a line-cutter, or b) enable line-cutters then I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to impose my own 'fair' solution - I don't have much other recourse do I?

Actually - a riot is a good outcome. It would probably force the brewery to institute a policy that actually makes sense and doesn't rely on drunk assholes to self-organize.

BBThunderbolt and Mandark like this.
  7. AgentZero

AgentZero Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

I don't think they said anything about banning cattle prods. My spot in line will be safe.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  8. antoines15

antoines15 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2008 Indiana

I am now expecting a riot at the KBS release Saturday. With the way releases have been going lately, I'm sure it will be a shit-show.

9. elephantrider

elephantrider Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2011 Michigan

Ya wanna stop it from being a shit show? Get everyone around you in line in agreement to not allow line cutting and call out anyone who tries to. It is possible to police ourselves but people need to grow a pair and do something about it. I will call anyone out that I see cutting there. I am getting there too damn early to have some jackwagon show up hours after me and just waltz into line.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  10. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

that or carry a big BA with you.

Urbancaver and MarkIntihar like this.
  11. antoines15

antoines15 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2008 Indiana

I will be in line early with about 6 other large gentlemen so calling people out won't be a problem for our group, but it still happens every year.

MasterSki likes this.
  12. ObeMaltKinobee

ObeMaltKinobee Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 Illinois

I totally agree it is a great idea. Lets bust some skulls to set an example. That is if you are willing to do the skullbusting. I'm a smaller guy and would surely get my my skull busted. But seriously lets do this.

13. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Willing to contract out my services for a reasonable fee...

14. AlexHouston

AlexHouston Crusader (414) May 19, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

In all seriousness though, people should be calling out line cutters at events like this, especially things like Darkness and Hunahpu Day, which I'm going to this week. If you think for a second I'm flying down for a beer festival and letting some jerks cut me in line and taking what I've waited longer to get without causing a scene, you don't know me very well. As matter of fact, I plan on talking to those around me about this very issue, trying to make sure we keep a fair playing field as evenly possible.

15. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

No, I'm not giving you a ZJ.

16. Wseitz

Wseitz Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 Illinois

I probably said this last year, but I actually think DLD'11 helped contribute to the problems with XV. At DLD '11, we were group C. We rolled in around 1:00 or so, walked right in, set up our spot, and had a great time. When it was time to buy our beer, everything was great. It went so well, actually (especially compared to '10) that we thought XV would go just as smoothly.

At XV, based on DLD '11, I think we expected that at least entering the property wouldn't be a problem. At that point we could bide our time and decide when we wanted to get in line for Baller. But they completely screwed things up when they tied the entrance line to the bottle line, ESPECIALLY considering the even was sold as a party (which I assume is why the tickets were 2.5x as much) and not simply a beer release and associated gathering. They sold tickets to a party, and then wouldn't let you in to the party for which you purchased a ticket. Pretty ridiculous, IMO. There was nothing stopping them from doing one line for Baller, and one line for entrance. That was just a pathetic oversight on their part.

Regarding this year, my sense is that one of the things they think worked well (speculating here) is picnic tables set-up throughout, which is why they probably aren't allowing chairs this year. Hopefully they don't set up the big tent like at XV, since I don't think they'll really need it, and all it does is take up space. Picnic tables/no outside chairs will allow them to control the traffic flow a little better, as opposed to having unorganized masses of people setting up shop wherever.

phisigben likes this.
  17. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

I don't know which was better for the general crowd, XV or DLD last year. XV had people standing in line for 4-5+ hours just to get on the grounds, which really sucks for those who needed to use the restroom or were hungry, or just wanted to try some of the beers in the beer tent throughout the day. However, it seemed that inside the grounds it wasn't very crowded throughout the day. You could easily find a seat, watch the bands, or just hang out. At DLD you could enter the grounds immediately which was awesome, but it was so overcrowded it took forever to get anywhere and all the tables were taken, leaving many sitting on the ground.

I actually preferred how they did the XV because I am someone who gets to these events early enough to be near the front of the line. I hang out for the night/day in line trading and tasting beers and just talking to people is great. Then when the line started up I was inside in 10 minutes and got to spend the whole day not missing any of the special taps and enjoying that gourmet food they had. My friends who showed up just a couple of hours later than me were in line for 4 hours and I couldn't do anything for them. Sucked for them, but I had a fantastic time.

18. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Here's an idea, if you are waiting for someone to show up to share stuff with, go back in line to where they are. Do the whole tasting thing as you want. You can return to your crew when you're done, just don't bring the new crowd to the front with you.

pschul4 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  19. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

If BA's want to make a consensus call that "If you call someone out for cutting in the line, I will back your play" then it shouldn't be a problem for the first 100 or so people at any of the big releases. There is NO WAY that people are going to be able to police the whole line. The line definitely does widen up at DLD, and that is BS. They could hand out the little numbered ticket things in the line and just have people turn them in as they walk through on ID check... it wouldn't be hard to square away all of the people who wait for several hours. It won't help the people who get there 90 minutes before open... but something is better than nothing.

I admit it, I do think it would be nice if they did something to accommodate the people who are going to spend all morning in line. Those people are the ones posting the huge reviews, lists of beers shared, etc, and that's what's keeping the hype growing for a one day release thing. If it weren't for that, it would largely just be locals who come out to the events. Shit... maybe that'd be better anyway.

Anyway, if BA's want to say, as a group, "I won't allow cutting" then we could easily eliminate it. But I know that 2 of the guys in front of me at XV were BA guys, and they let their friends cut in front of me. I know at least one of the guys behind me at XV is a regular here (I'd never met him before, but have seen him post since... and I won't call anyone out) came with one friend and a cooler, and he had easily 8 or 9 friends jump in line with him. Newer to beer releases, I just assumed that this was par for the course, and let it be. Had I known that it would turn into a clusterphuck, I wouldn't have let my brother and sister in law join me late. We've already made DLD plans to make sure that anyone who wants to be in line with us is THERE when we leave the house... so we're all driving in one vehicle, and I get to be group dad again, and not get drunk. Joy.

20. Agold

Agold Maven (1,251) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.