Czech Pils and Bubblegum

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Feb 27, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Today I racked a Czech Pils to keg for lagering. It had a slight bubblegum aroma, which I found quite surprising. I had pitched a big starter of WLP800 at 48F and fermented at 50F (fridge/heat wrap controlled...50F actual wort temp). Raised to 65F toward the end for a diacetyl rest. Same recipe and procedure I have used before for Czech Pils, but first time getting this aroma. Anyone ever had anything similar with this yeast and similar temps? My first thought was some type of infection, but I can't think of any infection that would cause bubblegum. Weird. TIA!

2. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Never had it with that yeast; have had distinct bubblegum with S-33 in a pils...smelled/tasted like those weird orange "circus peanuts."

3. Prostman81

Prostman81 Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2008 Illinois

Did you get a chance to taste it? I've had lagers throw off odd aromas before while fermenting, but the finished taste/aroma always are good.

Perhaps it's aroma from the hops you used, blending with the other fermentation smells? I don't know, lagers can be weird.

4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

How long was this beer in the fermenter? Bubblegum from any lager strain seems wierd to me, but maybe it will go away with time.

5. BushDoctor

BushDoctor Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2007 New York

I never used that yeast, but I had a maibock with a slight banana ester fermented with Wyeast Munich Lager. I thought I maybe fermented too high. A few months later I was at a friends Oktoberfest party and he had a keg of Spaten Oktoberfest and that beer had the same ester. Hopefully it will smooth out. I can not remember if my maibock lost that flavor through aging.

6. cg123

cg123 Crusader (479) Feb 27, 2012 Ohio

Give it a nice long lagering phase. I have found that a lot of my lagers through off some odd aromas when they are young. After lagering (minimum 30 days for me) they clean up nicely.

7. cracker

cracker Pundit (893) May 2, 2004 Pennsylvania

It will probably fade with lagering. I wouldn't worry about it. The few lagers I've done really benefited from lagering.

As an aside, I've been away for over a week. Still tryiing to get used to this new 'forum'. Will have to upload my avatar when I get a chance.

8. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Taste 'seemed' okay, but I have a lot of trouble separating aroma from flavor at times. Too much cross pollination between those two senses.

9. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Just thought I'd post a follow-up here, for 'archival' purposes in case anyone else runs into the same issue. After lagering, the Czech Pils had no trace of the bubblegum aroma.

10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Wanna send me a bottle so I can confirm??? :slight_smile:

11. VikeMan

Pooh-Bah Society

Shipping bottles seems like such a PITA. (Which is why I only enter 'local' competitions where I can drive to a dropoff point). However, the faucets are always open to any BA's who might find themselves in Southcentral PA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.