1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Counterfeit Cantillon John Chris Nomad

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by JealousChalice, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JealousChalice

JealousChalice Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2011 California

I feel obligated to report to the community that, unfortunately, counterfeit Cantillon John Chris Nomad bottles exist. I have in my cellar a genuine JCN, and I recently received another "JCN" as part of a trade. Placing them next to each other, it was obvious to me. Look very closely at the labels. The authentic labels have razor-sharp graphics, whereas the counterfeit labels contain graphics which are granular and were printed on a high-quality printer. I confirmed this with Jean at Cantillon.

MY OPINION: Since the JCN beer itself shares some similarity with Cantillon Classic Gueuze, it makes sense why JCN was selected to counterfeit; many people tasting it probably would think it is genuine. This might also explain why some of the reviews indicate that JCN tastes the same as Classic Gueuze.

All of this makes me quite sad, actually.

SuperWhip likes this.
  2. phillyswear

phillyswear Aspirant (261) Nov 26, 2009 Colorado

Where did the person you received it from get the bottle?

TBCHopscotch032 likes this.
  3. DarthKostrizer

DarthKostrizer Initiate (0) May 13, 2011 California

This is a huge problem in the beer industry. I know that it has happened with VE 02 and I'm sorry that this happened to such a great guy like you Chris. Personally I think you should call the guy out.

4. Alpar

Alpar Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2009 Wisconsin

Please post High Res pictures, if possible.

AleWatcher, jedwards, aasher and 2 others like this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I suppose it was just a matter of time. Sucks though.

6. futura123

futura123 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2010 California

Do you mind to post the pictures side by side and some zoom-in to details about the difference? In case I have only one bottle of JCN, how can I know if my bottle is counterfeit or real?

7. Alpar

The counterfeiter should be called out or at least divulge where he/she received said bottle.

rvdoorn and brystmar like this.
  8. sendsilk

sendsilk Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2007 Florida

Thailand, the same places I get me fake rolexes and my wife's knock-off Louis Vitton purses.

tacosandbeer and FUNKPhD like this.
  9. JealousChalice

I suspect the bottles are genuine 2011 Cantillon Classic Gueuze that have been stripped of their original labels and relabeled with fake JCN labels. The cork indicates 2011 bottling, just as the genuine JCN does.

10. Alpar

It really stinks that this is the route that "rare" craft beer is going. Luckily you didn't purchase the bottle or trade for that fake. It's also good that you had an authentic bottle to make a comparison. Sad day for craft beer, even though, I think, this has been happening for awhile now...

However, it is awesome that you were extra'd a bottle of Classic Gueze :wink:

11. JealousChalice

The dude who traded this to me is working on replacing the fake JCN with a genuine one. So I'll be make whole on my trade, one way or another. The thing is, if I hadn't had a genuine JCN in my cellar to compare it with, I probably would not have noticed the counterfeit.

tacosandbeer likes this.
  12. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 Texas

Reminds me of this fascinating article from the New Yorker about the Jefferson bottles (wine). Everyone feared this practice in thievery would someday permeate the beer community, and now it seems to have arrived. I feel for you, OP; please post details about how/where/from whom the bottle was acquired.

Rempo likes this.
  13. Alpar

Oh, I thought you were extra'd that bottle. Sorry I am two pliny's in right now :slight_smile:

Glad the trader is trying/going to make it right.

14. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Pooh-Bah (2,203) Mar 29, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah

Can't wait for every new limited release having certificates of authenticity included with the beers.

SpottedZombie and Alpar like this.
  15. JealousChalice

More details will follow. I am giving the dude the opportunity to carry out his own due diligence before we out the source. He said he received it from someone in Belgium. I need to figure out how to post images here...

16. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 Texas

FTFY

17. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

we all knew this was coming. That's a major league bummer, but with the increased value shame spiral going on these days it was a matter of time.

18. JealousChalice

I took some photos of the fake label, but the counterfeit label is good enough where the photos I'm able to take aren't capturing the subtle differences. The naked eye is the most powerful tool here. I'm hoping that if you read my description of the differences, you should be able to recognize the fake. Look very closely at the label, particularly the "Nomad" text. The red and black areas should be pure, and the transitions from black to red around the letters should be razor sharp, with no granularity or pixelization. The rear label should have a pure white background with sharp black text, even the extremely small text here is sharp on the genuine label. The counterfeit rear label has a slight pinkish background with less sharp text, the smallest of which, down at the bottom of the back label, is just a blur. I hope that helps. Cheers

tacosandbeer, ehammond1 and Alpar like this.
  19. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I thought that was mean and edited. Rare whale trading is sketchy, IMO. Way too easy to fake. Wouldn't be surprised if this has happened dozens and dozens of times. Think of the profit margin!

20. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is soooo very... very... sad.

I wish the OP the best... and I hope his trading partner was duped too.

That said, I also hope the OP puts his trading partner out here in the forum to keep other folks from getting the same treatment.

I have been worried about this type of shit for years... Back when I first started trading, I was totally geeked out and my Father sent me an article about counterfeit Westvleteren. He is not a "beer guy" but stumbled across something and forwarded it to me. I assured him that this would never happen on BA. About a month later, I am pretty sure I received a growler of "Younger" that was not the real deal. I never mentioned it to the trading partner because I had no proof. A year or so later, I realized that Younger was a PITA to acquire (even back then). April growlers of "Younger"? Nope.... not likely. BTW, that trading partner is long since banned.

Anyway... I hate that this has happened... Nothing but props and good karma to the OP.

Cheers, Toby.

afksports likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.