Countdown to the Raleigh Rare Beer Tasting...

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by fehrminator, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fehrminator

fehrminator Savant (1,217) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Who's going? Who's excited? Who needs to figure out how they're getting back home? Who can't believe that they paid $70 for a ticket? OK, enough with the questions. This can't happen soon enough for me. Most excited about OBA, Silva Stout, the Allagash beers and Bell's '10 BA Cherry Stout. I'm jonesing! Have I mentioned that this will be my first free pass out of the house since the birth of my son? :wink: Please share your most anticipated brews, inside info, or anything that will help the time pass just a wee bit faster. It's happening...

flipdog0 likes this.
  2. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 Virginia

Im coming down from Richmond VA, There is a large group heading down that way for the Fest. Staying in hotel downtown. Looking forward to many of the beers on the Lineup. Going to be a good day to be a beer ticker.

flipdog0 likes this.
  3. flipdog0

flipdog0 Pundit (799) Feb 11, 2011 North Carolina

I will be there, believe me I would have paid $200 for a ticket after going to last years event.... you will be amazed.

hooligan74 likes this.
  4. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

I couldn't agree more. Last year was amazing, the unbewebable brews and folks I met. Even amazing beerfests pale in comparison. Simply amazing.

5. flipdog0

Just saw this posted on Facebook - Figured I would put it here:

UNBELIEVABLE LIST:
    Abita B2X
    Allagash Avance
    Allagash James Bean
    Anchor OBA (Our Barrel Ale)
    Anderson Valley Heefus Hooper Bourbon Barrel Aged Porter
    Avery Barrel-Aged Series 7 Dihos Dactylion
    Aviator Bourbon Barrel-Aged Black Mamba Oatmeal Stout with Cherries
    Bear Republic Cuvee de Bubba
    Bell’s Vintage 2010 Bourbon Barrel Aged Cherry Stout
    Big Boss BBL Night Knight Black Ale
    Big Boss Hell’s Bizz’ness
    Blue Mountain Sour Devil
    Boulevard Collaboration No. 3 Stingo
    Brooklyn “Ghost” bottles of Cuvee Elijah, 100% bottle-conditioned Blanche de Brooklyn and Radius draft
    Brooklyn 100% bottle-conditioned Blanche de Brooklyn
    Brooklyn Radius (draft)
    CERVEJARIA BODEBROWN Montfort Tripel HOP
    Elysian CASK of Dry-Hopped Immortal IPA
    Foothills Olde Rabbits Foot
    Foothills Vintage 2011 India Brown Ale aged in Bourbon Barrels
    Founder’s Spite Pepper Beer
    Full Sail Vintage 2011 Black Gold
    Fullsteam The Common Good
    Fullsteam Vintage 2011 First Frost
    Fullsteam Vintage 2012-2013 First Frost
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Great Divide Leipziger Gose
    Green Flash Cedar Plank Pale Ale
    Green Flash Silva Stout
    Haw River Farmhouse Ales Bourbon-Barrel aged version of our Flanders Red on Cherries
    Haw River Farmhouse Ales “breakfast” version of our Belgian-style Dubbel
    Haw River Farmhouse Ales 100% Brettanomyces Brux Trois version of our Cotton Pickin’ Farmhouse IPA
    Haw River Farmhouse Ales sour version of Hiverna
    Highland Bourbon Barrel Aged Raspberry Mocha Stout
    Lagunitas Wet Hopped New Dog Town Pale Ale
    Left Hand Vintage 2003 Widdershins Barleywine
    Lonerider Galen’s Big Bock Dopplebock
    Natty Greene’s Oak Aged Belgian Blonde & Reserver Scandinavian Baltic Porter
    Natty Greene’s Reserver Scandinavian Baltic Porter
    New Belgium Prickly Passion Peach Barrel
    New Holland Blue Sunday Barrel #22
    NoDa Bourbon Barrel Aged NoDaRyeZ’d
    Oskar Blues Quadzilla
    Palm Royale (*Only keg in the country!)
    Quest Brewing Company #2 Aegeus Cassis
    Quest Brewing Company #3 Golden Fleece BPA
    Quest Brewing Company #4 Ellida IPA
    Quest Brewing Company #1 “Barrel Aged” Kaldi Imperial Coffee Stout with Cacao Nibs
    Rogue 21 Ale
    Sam Adams Chocolate Squirrel and…..
    Sam Adams Chocolate Cherry Bock
    Sierra Nevada Barrel-Aged Bigfoot (Happy 30th Anniversary!)
    Smuttynose Original Vintage 2007 Really Old Brown Dog and Vintage 2007 Barleywine Ale
    Smuttynose Vintage 2007 Barleywine Ale
    Sweetwater Vintage 2010 BSP Quad
    Terrapin Cabernet Barrel Aged Monk’s Revenge
    Trophy Pritchards Rum Barrel Aged Scotch Ale (Test Batch #27)
    Trophy Nelson Sauvin Single Hop Pale Ale
    Victory Red Thunder

6. fehrminator

Trader

Is anyone else secretly, as in posted on a public forum, hoping that GI mixes it up and brings a BCBS varietal instead of the standard version? I suppose that if I have to choke down the regular version that I'll find a way to manage but that would be sweet. BTW, you know you're getting old when these are the kind of things that you fantasize about.

7. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 North Carolina

It might be a vintage BCBS keg. That wouldn't suck.

8. flipdog0

It is kinda sad that if GI brings regular BCBS from 2012, I won't even bother to try it..... And they don't even distribute down here yet. So many good beers!

NCBeerFan and ewright like this.
  9. Skrip

Skrip Savant (1,132) Oct 7, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

i'm going! coming up from SC. i'm super stoked!

10. ewright

ewright Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

Feel exactly the same way. How can BCBS'12 be rare when they made 400% more of it than last year. It's certainly not vintage! Now, if it's some 2009 or earlier, we can talk! The last 2009 I had was drinking awesome last fall!

I think I'm most excited about
    BA Bigfoot
    Quadzilla
    Silva Stout

But I'll definitely have my ticker hat on!

11. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

Somebody is excited!

12. NCBeerFan

NCBeerFan Devotee (393) Oct 27, 2009 North Carolina

You would think that with the name of the event that GI would've gotten the hint and pulled out a keg of Rare BCS...now that would be one crazy line :slight_smile:. But yeah, if there's a short line and I've had my fill of the other treats, I might swing by, but they should've brought a BCS variant!!

There are a handful of brews I want to definitely try, but there's not one "can't miss" beer this year...like Black Note and Duck Rabbit's BA Baltic Porter last year. Having said that, I think there's more top-notch beers this year than last, so I'm excited to get my ticks in too!!

Just two more Sats!!

13. flipdog0

god that BA Baltic Porter........probably the second best beer I have ever had....behind Apple Brandy Barrel Huna.

dogphishead and ASUBeer like this.
  14. ewright

ewright Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2007 North Carolina

Wow, having tastes ABBA Hunahpu, that's saying a lot!

15. fehrminator

Trader

Can we make everyone wear nametags with their real name and their BA or RB handle? Maybe an Anchorman-style throwdown at the end of the fest between the RB and BA crews?

16. RedneckBeerz

RedneckBeerz Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

No throwdowns for me. Last year as I was leaving I was literally thrown down. 2 white guys jumped me. Yeah, the side walk triped me and the curb smacked me up side the head. (blush)

17. abb610

abb610 Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2010 North Carolina

I heard it was sam adams and daniel boone under orders from the big boss. Be careful this year, I see where sam is back along with his buddy Oskar and some thugs from Brooklyn.

18. Beerness

Beerness Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina

I'm getting pretty excited as well...and mostly for all the locals...so many new and old local breweries bringing so many great sounding options (Haw River, Quest, Trophy, NoDa, Fullsteam, Highland, etc).

However...the big name breweries (Founders, Bells, Goose Island, Great Divide,etc)...I'm pretty disappointed in their offerings. I mean...SPITE? Really? A gimmicky chile pepper beer chosen from such an amazing list of Founders rarities? Lame. Bells isn't too bad with BA Cherry Stout, but after Black Note last year...well, hard to one up that. And I was really hoping Goose Island might bring a BCS variation. I don't think I even need to comment on the Gose from Great Divide. All this being said, maybe some of these breweries will surprise us with unlisted offerings...especially the ones that only list one beer.

But kudos to New Belgium for breaking out the barrel-aged Love (literally) and Oskar Blues for bringing what sounds like a great hoppy treat and Sierra Nevada with BA Bigfoot!

dogphishead likes this.
  19. Beerness

Beerness Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 North Carolina

Rules are...DON'T SPILL ANYONE'S BEER!! After that, all is fair game.

20. hooligan74

hooligan74 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 North Carolina

Looking forward to the 2010 Bells, all of the Haw River stuff, the stout from Aviator, the Brooklyn Cuvee Elijah, barrel aged Bigfoot and the 2007 Smuttynose barleywine.

Should be another awesome year! (Despite a mediocre showing from Founders, New Holland and Goose Island, IMO)

Who's heading up Friday night?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.