Citra Hops...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by davey101, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

Am I the only one not on board the "citra hype" train? After hearing so much about kern river citra and zombie dust I was really looking forward to trying these. I love a good hoppy beer so I was stoked to receive a ZD as an extra. Just cracked it open and it smells and tastes like dank bud mixed with pizza gold fish. Kind of savory and odd. I know its all about the taste buds and personal preference, but I was just wondering if I'm the only one not into this hop breed?

2. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

I'm a big fan of citra hops. Should be a passion fruit/gooseberry flavor. I have heard of some off flavor aroma from using too much for dry hopping but never experienced that. Never had zombie dust but I've had some homebrews with all or mostly citra and I loved em both. Also had drakes aroma coma with citra and it was really good also.

Drink_LocalSD and mcrago like this.
  3. davey101

Perhaps I'm just not used to it then. I get some grapefruit and tropical fruit, but it seems masked by some savory notes. <googles gooseberries>

4. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

im a fan of citra hops because of its tropical/ fruity nature

surly wet
    surly abrasive
    tallgrass halcyon wheat
    and even torpedo has some citra hops

5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Texas

When I gave out my homebrews to coworkers I described it as a "tropical" IPA. Even people that don't really like ipa's said they enjoyed it.

BJRHOMEBREW likes this.
  6. nrs207

nrs207 Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2011 Pennsylvania

Odd about that savory note. All I got from Zombie Dust was straight up tropical, grapefruit, and citrus fruit juice. It was too fruity to even pick them apart. It was just great. I can't even imagine KR Citra. If FFF amped up ZD to make a DIPA I'd probably need a change of pants.

DHS1029, mcrago and founder26 like this.
  7. davey101

Interesting. I enjoyed wet and abrasive is one of my favorite beers. Perhaps its just the "citra only" beers which I can't stand.

8. JHamm

JHamm Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2009 Delaware

I believe that you are indeed a heretic and therefore should be subjected to the colonial method of dunking to prove otherwise.

Theniz, Spikester, GotWad629 and 4 others like this.
  9. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

Glad to hear someone else say it. Not at all a fan; I love tropical/grapefruity hops, but I get much more of a roasty, rye-like flavor and aroma from Citra beers I've had. Didn't care much for Zombie Dust, El Segundo Citra or even Kern River Citra.

The only use of it I've enjoyed was in Bruery Batch 300, and that was more or less in spite of the Citra, since there were so many other things going on with that beer (Belgian triple aged on oak) that the single hop component was only one peripheral element.

10. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Victory Headwaters features them, and it's quite fruity. I get a lot of berry/kiwi/tangerine in it. Really nice beer.

Willbfun and FishPondManager like this.
  11. growlerphil

growlerphil Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2011 Virginia

Have brewed a couple of homebrews with Citra and, along with the fruity/tropical notes I have also detectected some "savory" type buttery flavors. Of course, that may just be the off flavor diacetyl.

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Pooh-Bah (2,879) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Free will citra pale ale is pretty nice. Had it a month or so ago on tap. Very nice tropical notes and orange citrus to it

Enjoy

cactusleon likes this.
  13. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2011 California

I thought Kern Citra which has some Amarillo in there too was fantastic. I was disappointed by Zombie Dust though.

ChanChan likes this.
  14. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

o rly?

mcrago likes this.
  15. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

You are probably in the minority.

MrDave and mcrago like this.
  16. Chadbrochill

Chadbrochill Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2012

I love citra hops! do you like hopslam? Maybe you got a Zombie dust that wasn't fresh enough.

17. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Kern River is amazing stuff, I bought some Wet, and it was ok, but not worth the money IMO. I prefer the Furious from Surley. Never had Zombie Dust, but I'm working on it.

18. 46andBrew

46andBrew Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2011 Indiana

I love this post!
    I have been chastised on beeradvocate for suggesting Zombie Dust smelled like wild onions (I find it fascinating when people tell me what I should and should not smell and taste, as if somehow my brain perceives data EXACTLY like theirs). Perhaps we have the "cilantro taste gene", but for citra hops because I definitely get a savory/salty smell and taste from Zombie Dust (and Stone Enjoy By IPAs, SN Hoptimum, and here and there for a few other hop forward beers). I'm not as creative as to say "dank bud and pizza gold fish" but I certainly see where you're coming from.

musicman7070 and davey101 like this.
  19. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Didn't know Abrasive used Citra, but I do not like Abrasive. Had a Toppling Goliath Psuedo Sue, which I read on here uses Citra, and I thought it tasted HUGELY of lemony citrus flavors, to the point of wondering if the bar was using lemon Dawn dish soap and didn't rinse it out. Completely different taste from Abrasive however.

BigGriff and Emir like this.
  20. rails

rails Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 California

It was probably just a old zombie dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.