Cheap digital temperature controller?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by MaltLickyWithTheCandy, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

MaltLickyWithTheCandy Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2013 Maryland

So I just got my new kegging system, and now have to build a keezer. I noticed that a lot of these digital temp controllers that hombrew stores sell are outrageously expensive, anywhere from 80 to 120 bucks. Now i found this little gadget while browsing online and was wondering if anyone uses it for their keezer? It is very cheap, and has a delay for the compressor, which apparently will save it from being overworked (ie being switched on and off frequently, causing stress on the compressor). Anyone ever used this?
    Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Elitech-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2

2. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

never used one. thought about it though.
    if you are confident in your wiring ability go for it.
    be sure you get the thermo coupler with that unit, they are not terribly expensive but you will need one. let us know.
    Cheers.

3. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

That's a very popular controller. The only downside, other than the need to wire it (pretty simple, and you only need to do it once), is that it only displays Celsius. But you won't even think about that after a while. $20 seems to the the traditional ballpark on ebay, so this is a very good price.

4. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

Have any of you guys seen a similar one that comes wired, and has the compressor delay?

5. wspscott

wspscott Pooh-Bah (1,934) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society

I haven't seen one of those already wired, but it does have an adjustable compressor delay. If you have any power cords from an old computer, then all you need is a cheap project box (or something similar). The actual wiring is very easy/straight forward.

6. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

You can get the same thing the brew stores carry on eBay for under fifty bucks (Ranco, Johnson) unwired. The wiring is an easy DIY project, tons of youtube videos on all the popular models. My model (Ranco) doesn't have a compressor delay but this really isn't a limitation. For your keezer it's easy to program so your compressor works just like your home fridge. I like mine so much I bought two.

7. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

If you're looking to save a few bucks and are reasonably handy, you can skip the external controller altogether:
    http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/gu...mostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/
    Total cost is $0. I did this to my generic ('Sunbeam') chest freezer a few years ago and it works fine. It frees up my Johnson analog controller for other things (like preventing dust from settling on the 8 sq in of shelf it now occupies). It's not quite accurate enough to control fermentation temps, but if you're simply building a keezer, it's more than adequate.

8. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

I need to do that with mine so can free up my johnson controller.

9. kelvarnsen

kelvarnsen Pundit (944) Nov 30, 2011 Canada (ON)

10. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

I finally went with the ETC 111000. Got it on ebay for 30 bucks free shipping. Just gotta wire it, and it looks really easy.

11. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just wired my etc and plugged the fridge into the controller but it doesn't override the thermostat on the fridge so the temp isn't adjusting. Do you just plug the fridge into the etc?

12. MaltLickyWithTheCandy

It's supposed to interrupt the electrical signal to the refrigerator, thus turning it off when it hits a certain temp. It uses a probe that you put in the fridge. Did yours come with a wire with a probe attached?

13. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

be sure the t-stat in the fridge is set to the coldest setting. if you set your outboard controller to turn off at 40 for example, but the internal fridge t-stat wants to shut down at 46, the fridge will not run colder than 46. if you set the fridge t-stat to its coldest setting and it still isn't getting there your compressor might be worn out. last resort is to relocate the internal temp probe to a warm spot, even outside the fridge if you have enough wire, but unlikely.
    Cheers.

14. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

I have the fridge set at the warmest setting. I'll have to make that adjustment and see if that works...thanks.

15. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, came with the wire and probe. I ran the wire and probe into the fridge. I guess I was wondering once the etc is wired all you do is connect the fridge plug into the the outlet on the ranco?

16. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

correct. the ranco plug is also a switched receptacle. the ranco is always powered from the wall, the fridge is only powered when the outboard switches on. you will lose the inside light when the fridge is off.

17. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, the light in my fridge is off right now.

Also, I want the fridge to get 60 for ales. The ranco will allow the fridge to get warmer too?

#17 GetMeAnIPA, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  18. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

no. I don't think the ranco will control heat rise. some controllers will do both, I don't believe the ETC will. I can't recall, there might be a dip switch inside that can be set. but you will lose the ability to control the compressor and cooling.

a refrigerator t-stat has two settings. one is the dial setting that turns the compressor on once the temperature gets too high. so you set the dial at 5 for example, and the refrigerator turns on when the temperature inside rises to 45. the other parameter is factory set. that is the temperature that the compressor shuts off. it can be a wide swing with a refrigerator, 8 or more degrees. so the compressor turns on at 45, then shuts off when the temp drops to 37, that is 45 minus 8.

you can control both parameters with the ranco. maintain temps between maybe 44 and 40 with a swing of 4 degrees (don't set the differential to 1 or 2, the compressor will eventually burn out from too many cycles, and air temp swings a lot more than liquid temp anyway).

ok... the Johnson controller, that one can be set to turn ON at the set temp, or turn OFF at the set temp. but not both at the same time. there is still only one receptacle to plug into. it can only control one appliance. so if you have a heater inside (usually a 75 watt light on an extension cord), the Johnson turns the light off when it gets too warm. then the temp slowly drops until the controller turns the light back on. this works well if the fridge is in a cold garage or basement.

to do both, you need a special controller with two receptacles to control both the light and the compressor. Northern Brewer had one a while back, not sure if they still do.
    Cheers.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  19. GetMeAnIPA

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks! Appreciate the help.

20. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.