Cellaring Brown Shugga

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by allouez86, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allouez86

allouez86 Pundit (975) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Damn I missed this beer last year. Had my first one in quite some time from this year's new batch last night and it was awesome. Has anyone ever had any experience cellaring this beer? Seems like it may have the strength to last a while but I've never cellared anything from Lagunitas as I love all their beers fresh. Opinions?

MagillaGriller likes this.
  2. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

It wasnt released last year so luckily you didnt miss anything! I have a 2 and 3 year old bottle but havent tasted them yet, I will see this year most likely - hopefully they held up well.

3. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

My opinion is, if you love this beer fresh do not bother cellaring it.

4. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

I cellared a bottle for a year and after drinking it I would say it's better fresh.

5. buffs9

buffs9 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 Colorado

I stored some bottles after I heard about the "hiatus". Cracked a couple last night and thought it was delicious, still sticky sweet and smooth. Need to get some fresh and compare but I love the year-ish old version.

6. grumpy

grumpy Pundit (896) May 24, 2005 Missouri

I think Brown Shugga ages very well. Turns into a nice barleywine-like ale. For my tastes, it's a bit hot and rough around the edges when fresh.

TonyTalon and Sunhunters like this.
  7. allouez86

allouez86 Pundit (975) Jan 24, 2009 Wisconsin

Thanks for the responses. I'll be drinking plenty fresh but will probably throw a bottle or two in the cellar for a year or two.

8. calcnerd

calcnerd Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I have some brown shugga from a couple years ago. It's okay aged, but definitely 100 times better fresh.

9. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 California

My fiance and I went to a Brown Shugga vertical tasting dinner at Lagunitas and I was surprised by the results. The oldest bottle was maybe 6 years old, and you could tell it had fallen off and it had a flat taste with a little cardboard thrown in. A few years still had a really solid profile though.

The one that threw me for a loop was the aged Hairy Eyeball, that aged amazingly.

10. jtmartino

jtmartino Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 California

I think it's great with 2-3 years on it, but there's definitely a muted syrupy quality it develops.

Which I happen to love.

11. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2010 California

It's worth laying down a few. I think a few months before a year is the sweet spot. The hops fade surprisingly fast and it becomes a nice strong ale. I thought it would only get better, but went down hill at a year old.

TonyTalon and MagillaGriller like this.
  12. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2010 California

Living near the brewery has the reward of being able to try draft-only offerings of their barrel aged offerings and the best so far had been the port barrel aged Hairy Eyeball. I'll bet other locals will agree.

13. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 California

Yes, yes I do agree. Port Censored was good too, but Port Hairy Eyeball is the Nectar of the Gods. Might be the best thing Lagunitas has ever made.

Oh wait....Bourbon Barrel Brown Shugga was like candy...too much to choose from.

14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

That sounds fantastic. Was this at the brewery itself?

15. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 California

Yea, the taproom makes you feel like you're at an entirely different brewery with the amount of barrel aged and different 1 offs that never leave the place. Its pretty easy to get trashed there without realizing it when you're trying things you never see.

m4gdelen4 and Sunhunters like this.
  16. sudsellier

sudsellier Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Florida

Just got mine in at my store Wednesday. Is it just me or is it supposed to be that hoppy? No real brown sugar at all. Was expecting thick texture and a rich malt bill with the sugar everywhere. Was more like Green Flash Hop Head Red. Maybe I got mislabeled bottles? If it is, indeed, supposed to be that hoppy, then I wouldn't cellar it at all.

17. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

Really excited for their facility in Chicago :grinning:

18. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 California

I actually had that at the Tap Room at Whole Foods. They also had the Port Censored. But, yes, you can find those beers at the brewery itself as well.

19. caseyoharaa

caseyoharaa Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2009 California

Taking price and availability into consideration, I will certainly be throwing 1 or 2 into the "cellar" to see how it changes.

Sláinte

20. Sunhunters

Sunhunters Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2008 California

+ 1 for aging Brown Shugga. I have had it at 2 years old before and preferred it to the fresh product. Like grumpy said, I think it has a little roughness about it when its fresh (not that I don't love it fresh). However after a couple years in the cellar it finishes nice and round, with a pleasant smoothness that is reminiscent of a viscous barleywine, as grumpy and jmartino were saying.

I have some from back in '08 still in the cellar and will be cracking them soon along with some of the '12 for a side-by-side tasting. I'll try to remember to report back to this thread when we're done with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.