Cellaring - Any Help Appreciated

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by kushlash23, Dec 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kushlash23

kushlash23 Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Georgia

I am very interested in cellaring beer and have a few questions. I know that IPA's are out and Stouts and higher ABV's cellar better. I currently have a few 2012's that I am saving; Delerium Noel, Silent Night, Brooklyn Black Ops and a few others.

1) Always stand the beer upright, correct?

2) Ideal temperature? I dont have a basement so is it better to keep in a dark closet or in a small refrigerator?

3) What is the sweet spot time wise? 1 year, 3 years, etc.

Like I said, I am just jumping into this and any advice or tips would be great.

Cheers.

2. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I have a Big Bad Baptist I would like to cellar and I am in same situation as kushlash23. I would also appreciate some advice.

3. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

1) yes

2) I'd say around 55 degrees. What is the average temperature of this dark closet you speak of?

3) Depends on the beer. I like to have multiple bottles of a specific type of beer personally so I can try them with different ages on them so I know next time what to shoot for.

Good luck! I hope you grow to enjoy this as much as I do.

4. kushlash23

The closet probably averages in the mid 60's. I have a wine refrigerator that is set at 55, but it is full of reds and they lay on their side.

5. Chelsea1905

Chelsea1905 Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2008 Washington

I would say this is a solid piece of advice. I love trying different bers after different lengths of time

6. BrewmanCapote

BrewmanCapote Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 Illinois

Kushlash,

I recommend googling "Beer cellaring guide." You'll find several very helpful articles.

7. MarcWP

MarcWP Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2012 Arizona

This.^^

PS Most beers (even high abv beers) are better fresh. Some reach the sweet spot at the 1-2 year mark. And few reach it beyond that. If you haven't had it, drink it relatively fresh. A small list of easily accessible, affordable, notoriously good cellaring beers below:

Bigfoot
    Double Bastard
    Stone IRS
    Old Stock
    Palo Santo Marron
    Adam
    Rochefort 10
    Orval
    Pannepot
    Cuvée Rene
    Rodenbach
    Jacobins Rouge

8. kushlash23

Great information, thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses and advice.

9. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I used to cellar at 54 degrees but found the beers were a little too warm when I would drink them. Now I cellar at 50 degrees and it works much better for me.

10. gshak

gshak Savant (1,186) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

You're better off drinking this one as fresh as possible, since it is a coffee-forward beer. You don't want to lose all that coffee goodness, unless you've already had it fresh before, and like to cellar it for comparison.

11. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

Thanks for the advice, I will enjoy it for New Year's Eve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.