Burlington Beer Co. Inaugural Event

Discussion in 'New England' started by kingcrowing, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Initiate (0) Mar 24, 2009 Vermont

Last night at Chef's Corner on Flynn Ave. in Burlington the Burlington Beer Co. had their first event. They had 16 beers to sample (a few IPAs, a three year old barleywine, a Belgian Pale with Brett, an Oud Bruin - quite a variety) and I think they were all very solid especially for a new brewery.

They're doing a "Brewer's Dozen Reserve Membership", it's $200 for 13x750ml bottles over the course of a year inspired by the many CSA's in Vermont. I think it's a pretty cool idea, kind of similar to Kickstarter as a friend pointed out as they'll be using the membership fees to get the brewery started in "6 months to a year".

Did anyone else make it? Thoughts on the event?

2. jamvt

jamvt Savant (1,126) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

i hadn't heard of this? who's behind the brewery, is it former local brewers?

3. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

So they were basically serving homebrew?

4. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Savant (1,157) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

I couldn't make it (had to work) but am getting some feedback from those that attended. I can support a new brewery by buying their beer if it is of good quality and style variety, but cannot commit a large chunk of my discretionary income to a CSA arrangment where I must commit to buying only their beers. I like to spread the love around in this state, and give all the VT brewers my attention, promotion, and money that earn my interest. It is similiar to the Citizen's Cider Co.'s efforts to fund their next batch with a CSA arrangement, but I prefer to buy their bottles at a local bevvy one at a time - glad that option is there. The price of $200 for 13 bottles comes out to $15/bottle - that is a pretty premium price for a 750ml. If they can prove their beers to be on the price/quality standard of Lawson's or Hill's then it may be worth it. But the proof is in the beer, so I will maintain a wait & see approach, and take any opportunity to try Joe's beers if made publicly available again in the future. Hopefully, his beers will go through the same vetting process as all of his VT brewer-peers, and that will drive sales, rather than a steady FB barrage.

5. jsled

jsled Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2005 Vermont

Details of the nascent company at http://www.burlingtonbeercompany.com/ . Basically: Essex native who's been brewing commercially in Delaware is starting up something here.

I found the beers last night to be really solid, as well, especially for such a breadth of offerings. I, too, hope the CSB approach is more of an initial kick-start/reserve program, with a smaller set of beers available more regularly. I didn't get a chance to talk to Joe last night long enough to ask, though he was both available and very approachable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.