Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Belgium Brussels Beer Project

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ManforallSaisons, Aug 11, 2013.

1. HOW did I stumble on this only now? (Busy, traveling, and not getting out enough anyway, to be honest.) A couple “guys from Brussels” according to one blog, designed four recipes with different characters, got ‘em contract brewed and set them loose on patrons in a group of Brussels bars to vote for their favorite. The winner will get brewed up again and put on the market as the launch of sort of "community brewery." http://beerproject.be

I know it all sounds a bit collectivist, going against the rugged individualist culture of the artisan brewery doing just what he likes. But as a one-off gimmick, I can get behind this. The winner was Delta, which sounded like not the most adventurous option — a quaffable, approachable, fresh, citrus-y and decently hopped golden ale. I liked it fine but wish I’d tried the others. Any reports out there? And what do you think about crowd-sourcing a beer?
  2. I should've mentioned that some BAs must've come across this, if (as the organizers says) the bars/shops participating included Moeder Lambic (St. Gilles), Delices & Caprices, La Brocante, Poechenellekelder et al.
  3. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (515) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

All 4 are available at De Hopduvel.
  4. They're doing another round of crowdfunding with a "beer for life" offer, FYI. Same web link as above. Open day today, as well.
    erbu likes this.
  5. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Savant (265) Belgium Jan 15, 2014 Verified

Just putted my signature under this project ... as a beerlover and beertour driver i have to support this one.... can only become a new place to visit ;)
  6. Anatole

Anatole Savant (390) Belgium Sep 19, 2013 Verified

Hmmm, they ask A LOT of money (more for marketing then their beer). And beers are... average, not bad, just average.
    digita7693 likes this.
  7. I understood that the new fundraising is specifically to outfit the new brewery, in the very raw industrial space they took. Unquestionably, the contribution is more than the value of the beer, and clearly is a kind of donation to see it take flight. I'm not sure we really know yet what their beer will ultimately be.
  8. TomFoley

TomFoley Savant (265) Pennsylvania Mar 19, 2005

9. Salbo

Salbo Zealot (85) Belgium Jan 12, 2015

Delta and Grosse Bertha are sold at Delhaize Ixelles and probably also at Malting Pot
    mathieu87 likes this.
  10. mathieu87

mathieu87 Aficionado (235) Belgium Jun 22, 2011

Indeed for sale at malting pot!
    But also in the carrefour of ganhoren by example...
  11. R3ason

R3ason Savant (445) Colorado Aug 13, 2014 Verified

Old thread. Good beer! Stumbled on their Dark Sister, followed by Delta. Tasty.