Breweries and Beer in Kent

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by DaddyDan, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaddyDan

DaddyDan Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2004 Connecticut

I will be staying in Canterbury for a few days in December. I hope to have the chance to try some fine English ales. Does anyone have referrals to breweries in the area to check out? I will by travelling by train and bus, so they will need to be close to a stop or station. I don't need a tour as I have seen breweries before and know how beer is made. However, friendly brewers are always worth meeting.

Thanks!

Dan

2. Aye

Aye Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 England
    Deactivated

There are two breweries very near Canterbury itself. Canterbury Ales and Canterbury Brewers. A trip to Shepherd Neame the oldest brewer in the UK over in Faversham shouldn't be out of the question either.

3. jonb5

jonb5 Pooh-Bah (1,631) May 11, 2010 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Harveys beers (from Lewes in Sussex) are pretty decent and easy to find in Kent.

Erzengel likes this.
  4. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 England

Harvey's are nom

Aye likes this.
  5. Furnotronix

Furnotronix Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2013 England

When in Canterbury make sure to visit The Thomas Becket. No idea about the current beer range as I left Canterbury before craft hit, but it was my favourite pub in the city. Dried hops on the ceiling, wood furnishings throughout, open fire burning in winter and a comfortable atmosphere with a great smoking area. They'll also have a pianist certain nights.

There are some nice pubs around the city, but, for the most part, they lacked atmosphere and clientele (even during the student months) outside of weekends. If you're younger, Lady Luck on the high street is the best late license pub in the city. 'Late' for Canterbury was 11.30 last oders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.