Best Canadian Pumpkin beers

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Jerk_Store, Sep 30, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the best pumpkin beers in Canada :slight_smile:

I enjoyed GLB's quite a bit!

2. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

La Magouille is good, not sure if it's still made. St-Ambroise is decent enough but the Red Racer is my fave Canadian pumpkin ale.

Jerk_Store likes this.
  3. bdemarco

bdemarco Aspirant (289) Aug 6, 2015 Canada (ON)

I'll throw my hat in the ring and second both GLB and St. Ambroise. Highballer Pumpkin Ale was actually surprisingly good too.

Jerk_Store likes this.
  4. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba Initiate (0) May 5, 2011 Canada (ON)

Both of GLB's are good and the only ones I'll buy this year with the absence of Pumking in Ontario.

5. Yardsale

Yardsale Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2015 Canada (SK)

The 9-Mile pumpkin porter was actually really nice. It was very subtle, light spice, light pumpkin, really let the base beer play more of a role than "spice rack" like so many pumpkin beers out there.

Sigh, I don't even know why I post these things. Nobody can even get Sask beer.

Lurkaholic likes this.
  6. Jerk_Store

Jerk_Store Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2015 Canada (QC)

It's good to know!

7. Trosevear

Trosevear Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 Canada (AB)

Schadenfroude By P49 was a really good one, and Alley Kat nailed it this year with there Pumpkin Pie, Tree Brewing tried to make a India Pumpkin Ale, just aweful would never recomend to anyone.

westcoastbeergeek likes this.
  8. Electros

Electros Grand Pooh-Bah (3,574) Feb 20, 2007 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

5 Paddles:

1) Franken Brew Dubbel.
    2) Pumpkin Barley Wine.
    3) Grim Reaper.

9. bdemarco

bdemarco Aspirant (289) Aug 6, 2015 Canada (ON)

Also I keep hearing really good things about Country Bumpkin by Oast House.

10. LampertLand

LampertLand Grand Pooh-Bah (3,109) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Imperial Pumpkin Ales - 1)Howe Sound 'Pumpkineater' , 2)Central City 'Patrick O'Pumpkin' , 3)Phillips 'Crooked'er Tooth'

Pumpkin Ales - 1)Swans , 2)Spinnakers , 3)Phillips 'Crooked Tooth' , 4)CC Red Racer , 5)P49 'Lost Souls'

Erik-P likes this.
  11. Hornet2003

Hornet2003 Pundit (769) Jan 26, 2006 Canada (BC)

Pretty heavy on the BC brews there, but I can't say I disagree. With the exception of St. Ambroise Citrouille, I can't say I've tried a compelling pumpkin beer from Canada outside BC. I obviously need to expand my horizons!

I tried the CC Patrick O' Pumpkin and thought it was too cloyingly sweet. Disappointingly, there wasn't much bourbon in the flavour profile. For that reason, I agree 100% with your #1 pick of Howe Sound Pumpkineater. That's such a great imperial pumpkin that is drinkable beyond belief. It's been around for a long time too, so I applaud them for not messing with the recipe too much over the years.

I'm also a big fan of the Parallel 49 Schadenfreude Pumpkin-Oktoberfest. I love the marriage of flavours in this beer. They could up the gravity a bit IMO to make the malt a little more prominent, but I always look forward to Schadenfreude.

Overall, good picks man!

souvenirs likes this.
  12. Erik-P

Erik-P Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

second the howe sound.. delicious.. pothole filler should be coming out soon which is another one of my faves

13. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

I don't often drink pumpkin beers and I haven't tried a lot of the others listed already. However, I bought the 4 pack of St. Ambroise The Great Pumpkin and I must say its the best I've had. It's not over the top and is actually pleasant to drink.

14. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

15. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

BC Centric Post here

1) Howe Sound Imperial Pumpkin Eater - but, cellared for 1 year, way better and more balanced
    2) P49 Lost Souls Chocolate Pumpkin Porter - good fresh, better after at least 6 months in the cellar
    3) Moon Under Water - Pumpkin Pearweizen, fantastic pumpkin beer that is subtle and satisfying
    4) Patrick O'Pumpkin by Central City - Fairly well balanced barred aged beer, best served out of a fresh pumpkin

Lots of others out there, but most are pretty bad (including St Ambriose which is bland) or over spiced.

Hal_Hickey and Trosevear like this.
  16. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Grand Pooh-Bah (3,708) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not a huge pumpkin beer fan so take this with a grain of salt.

I really enjoyed Nickel Brook Pissed Off Pete Pumpkin Porter last year. I haven't had it this year. Of the few I have had, this was my favorite.

17. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

That sounds good, I like the pumpkin beers where the pumpkin is a small feature, but not the main flavour (which is usually "pumpkin spice" mix).

18. Corson

Corson Savant (1,048) Jun 18, 2014 Canada (AB)

Haven't had a lot of Canadian pumpkin beers, but call me crazy my favorite one I've had so far has got to be Flying monkeys Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

thehyperduck and Trosevear like this.
  19. Trosevear

Trosevear Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2014 Canada (AB)

i ahd that beer last year, it was sooooo good.

20. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Grand Pooh-Bah (3,986) Feb 26, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This is the only one that immediately comes to mind. Had a bottle of this stuff last year; it was the first time I recall being legitimately impressed by a pumpkin ale in years. If you are a fan of Pumking-type "imperial pumpkin ales", Paranormal is definitely worth picking up.

I've had a handful of other reasonably good Canadian pumpkin ales, too - Grand River's Highballer, St. Ambroise's Citrouille, Steamworks' Pumpkin Ale, etc. All worth trying if you appreciate the style and happen to see them on the shelves. GLB's Pumpkin Ale is ok, and priced very competitively (only $5/bomber).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.