Berlin

Discussion in 'Germany' started by jesus_man, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesus_man

jesus_man Devotee (349) May 8, 2015 North Dakota

My family, including 6 adults and 2 children, are going to Berlin next week. Is there a kid friendly place you recommend we have a meal with good beer? Or if that's not really possible, where should we buy beer to take back to our apartment? We're staying near Checkpoint Charlie if that helps at all!

My wife and I (and the two kids) have been to Berlin once before, but it was all about the touristic stuff. This trip will be too, but I'll have more beer lovers in the group to sway the vote. :-)

Thanks for any information!

2. Lurchus

Lurchus Zealot (733) Jan 19, 2014 Germany

Go to Markthalle 9(when there is no streetfood event). It is kind of an indoor market with several good,different food vendors and home of Heidenpeters, who makes some of the best modern german craft beers. Everyone can grab the food they like, grab a few drinks and meet somewhere in the middle.Really cool experience when it is not crowded (which it never was during my visits but it has been a while). I think it is the best combination of geeky beer and diverse food in berlin.
    http://markthalleneun.de
    It may be a bit out of the way but remember,public transportation there is awesome!

#3 Lurchus, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    pthread1981 likes this.
  3. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Weihenstephaner has a restaurant in the Hackescher Markt. Augustiner has a place behind the Gendarmenmarkt which has Edelstoff vom Holzfass (wooden barrel) every day beginning at 17:00 or 18:00, and although I did not love the restaurant it's hard to argue Edelstoff vom Holzfass. Enjoy Berlin!

Darwin553 likes this.
  4. jesus_man

Thanks Andrew - the first link appears to be broken, or maybe I'm not on the "Cool" list. I'll check out the second!

5. jesus_man

Oops, more replies!! Thanks much. Will dig into each response. Danke!

6. gavinbrooksbank

gavinbrooksbank Initiate (0) May 24, 2011 England

Are you after a new craft beer type place or a more traditional berliner type place?

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

I visited both in August. Pretty good food and solid Bavarian beer.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  8. jesus_man

I'd lean more towards craft brews myself. The other beer drinkers would be fine with whatever.

9. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

Vag
    Vagabund is nice if you're a beer hipster, but not for families. Unless your family is full-on beer geek freak, I'd avoid it at all costs. But for you, if you love Craft, it's the best place to be.

Better, I suggest Lemke Brauerei am Hackeschen Markt. It's on the Sbahn line, exit Hacksche Markt. The actual market doesn't exist per se, but there are tons of cool things happening in the market square that your family will like. Lemke is a restaurant focusing on very good German traditional food. Address is Dicksenstrasse 143.
    This is there website. Their IPA and Imperial Stout are pretty damn good, not WOW, but enough to make you pine for home.

Malt_Man, JackHorzempa and Gutes_Bier like this.
  10. bring

bring Zealot (686) Aug 17, 2005 Greenland
    Trader

Guess I'll add on to this thread and ask for recommendations for more traditional Berliner like places. Good food would be a plus. Kid friendly not required.

Also, any recommendations for breweries to be on the lookout for that don't necessarily have their own tap rooms in Berlin?

11. jeebeel

jeebeel Zealot (655) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

gavinbrooksbank likes this.
  12. Lurchus

For traditional style beer, these days Biermanufaktur Potsdam is hard to beat. You can get Potsdamer Stange,Potsdamer Hell and Dunkel in every Biomarkt in Berlin I've been in. Potsdamer Stange is very tasty- it is a kind of "historic" beer style and is close to Bavarian Weizen, but does not contain as much wheat malt. Their Berliner Weissbier is also very good, but kinda hard to find. Sometimes, it shows up at Hopfenreich (a trendy craft beer bar).

bartlebierle and Gutes_Bier like this.
  13. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

When I was up in Berlin one time we visited friends in Potsdam, and I think that is exactly what we drank, vom Fass, Postdamer Stange. I'd never heard of it before, and have not seen it since, but it was very good.

Lurchus likes this.
  14. Lurchus

Sadly never had Stange vom Fass, but yeah it is kind of my regional go to beer whenever I visit friends there-very tasty, unique and easily aviable.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  15. jesus_man

All great info! Thanks!

16. patto1ro

Pooh-Bah Society

The Augustiner place close to Gendarmenmarkt (Charlottenstraße 55) is pretty kid friendly and the food good if you like German stuff. They have draught Dunkles which is always handy for a Mild fan like me. The Weihenstephaner place at Hackescher Markt (Neue Promenade 5) is similar. Not particularly traditional Berlin. Though the big Munich breweries had pubs in Berlin before WW I.

Malt_Man and Gutes_Bier like this.
  17. patto1ro

Pooh-Bah Society

For a traditional place - not necessarily the most interesting beer - Zum Nußbaum (Am Nußbaum 3). It's a reconstrucion of a famous old Berlin pub. Zur Letzten Instanz (Waisenstraße 14-16, http://zurletzteninstanz.com/) is a genuine old pub. Not been in it for a while.

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  18. jonb5

jonb5 Pooh-Bah (1,631) May 11, 2010 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't know if this is posted too late to still be relevant but the Czech bar on the top floor of KaDeWe is a really nice place too drink beer. You won't find any "craft beer" but the Budvar goes down well and the view over the city is good. It's also next to a Bavarian food stand.

Gutes_Bier and steveh like this.
  19. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,727) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

The one thing I am going to strongly mention is that if you are wanting to go out to restaurants in Berlin you have GOT to make reservations... or I'd say get there real early, even on say a Wednesday...

With maybe an exception for the Turkish places I went to.

There's really great places to eat, but also there's some unbelievably frustrating things I found about eating in Berlin that I have never experienced anywhere else repeatedly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.