Beers with which You've had Diverse Experiences

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by zachary80, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zachary80

zachary80 Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2009 Indiana

Just shared my second ever DFH Fort courtesy of a friend. The first bottle I had seemed significantly more like rubbing alcohol and was brutal to finish (I thought it might redeem itself); it reminded me of the worst qualities of 120 minute. This bottle, which I believe is 18 months old, has significantly more fruit and favorable flavors, with less heat. In the past, I would have suggested that people actively avoid Fort, but now, I'm conflicted since this latest bottle was way better.

What beers have you recently had two significantly different experiences with?

2. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Initiate (0) May 18, 2011 Illinois

Old Rasputin, Arrogant Bastard, Sublimely Self Rightheous, Noble Pils,Choklat, and Goose Island IPA. All beers that I found hard to drink. Tried them a year later or so. Fuckin fantastic (or very sessionable at the very least). On the opposite end are Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Taddy Porter. Loved them when I first had them, but nowadays all I can taste is a metallicness.

3. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Florida

White Oak Jai Alai. Sometimes i drink it and it just tastes like pure dill and i dont understand the love for it. Then other times its a little dill that is followed up by some great juicy ipa flavors and i think it is tasty. Weird as hell

4. GardenWaters

GardenWaters Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Illinois

Storm King! I was thrown off when I drank it recently. I couldn't believe how hoppy it was compared to when I drank it last year. Completely different beer. I then realized the SK I drank last year had about 4 years of age on it. Fantastic brew, both fresh and aged.

5. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Youngs chocolate stout. It used to be creamy delish!, now it tastes like iron ( or blood to be all honest) was added to the mix. What gives?

bifrost17 likes this.
  6. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2007 Minnesota

I agree. I thought I may have just gotten a bottle with a bad seal, but others have tasted the same since. I love the bloody/gamey character in my wines and venison, but not in my chocolate stout!

Back to the subject, though. One beer stands out to me. I loved Hopslam the first year it came out. Then something happened. It got sweeter. Still to this day, I find myself picking up at least one six-pack, and I'm always left disappointed. I know I'll get a ton of criticism for saying it, but I don't care for Hopslam anymore.

7. robertc

robertc Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2004 New Jersey

KBS. Some bottles from the same year taste so different. One delicious, the next like an ashtray.

8. Gannon81

Gannon81 Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Oregon

First time I had Zombie Dust, thought the hype was unjust. A country mile from spectacular. Glad I gave it another go. Though my money clip since may be inclined to disagree. For me, with this brew, the dead hath risen.

9. danieelol

danieelol Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

Orval.

Sometimes a brett Bomb, sometimes really hoppy, sometimes nothing much of anything.

10. keithmurray

keithmurray Pooh-Bah (2,943) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Came in here to talk about Orval. I've had that beer probably a dozen times and each time I drank it, it was a different experience. Sometimes, it is really funky, sometimes real tart, other times really fruity. I kind of like the fact that no two times is ever the same with that beer, but when I saw this topic, Orval immediately popped into my head.

11. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Florida

It's all the corporate they started adding to the Sam Smith. Recipe changes blow, man.

12. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

I would absolutely agree. When Orval hits, it's one of the best beers out there, but I'm not sure there's a more inconsistent beer in existence. It's never bad, but the beer ranges from "decent Belgian pale ale" to "phenomenal uncategorizable beer with great hops and tropical bretty flavors" to everything in between without any predictability. I've had two beers from the same batch right in a row and I would've had no clue they were the same beer if I hadn't known.

13. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

From strictly the freshness aspect, it has to be Stone IPA in So.Cal or Ranger IPA.

When fresh both of these are fantastic reps of the bitter/citrus west coast IPA. When they fade, they fall fast.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.