Beers from the US in green bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bitterbill, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

The only ones that I recall seeing is the Blue Boar Ale from Henry Weinhard and Rolling Rock. Others you've seen?

Edit: Of course, Mickey's Big Mouth and I assume Ballantine XXX Ale.

2. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was pretty traditional for the pre-craft US ales to come in green glass- Ballantine, Carling Red Cap, Pabst Old Tankard, Yuengling Lord Chesterfield, McSorley's (in the Rheingold/Ortlieb/Schmidt's era), Neuweiler's, Rainier Old Stock, Reading's Berkshire - probably scores more.

And a number of US "super-premiums" also were in green bottles - Heileman's Special Export, Van Merritt, Huber.

And, there's also Straub's famous* throw-away "greenies".
    *Applicable only in Western PA.​

3. buffs9

buffs9 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2008 Colorado

New Glarus uses green bottles for their fruit beers.
    Ivan the Terrible was in a green bottle too.

4. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, I knew that. :wink:
    I'm more interested in what one can currently find on the shelf. Lord Chesterfield, I forgot about.

5. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

6. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Pooh-Bah (1,645) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Little Kings, best thing from the 'Natti ever!!

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Oh, I didn't realize Weinhard's Blue Boar was still brewed (we haven't seen a Weinhard brand on the east coast since the Heileman days, and only briefly at that) so I thought you meant past and present.

Yeah, currently Ballantine XXX Ale, Straub's t/a's and Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield, along with their flagship Traditional Lager are in green glass.

Isn't Gambrinus' US-brewed Trumer Pils also?

The Miller-brewed, Pabst-owned (and dumbed down) Rainier Ale isn't in green anymore or is just doesn't make it that far east anymore?

8. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

Ha! I read your review. The first paragraph is near priceless, considering the recent threads on green bottles and their effects on beer.:wink:

9. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

They were always in green, yeah, but I haven't seen or tried it except once, since the good old days when it was an Ale of distinction, and the bottle was green and what was in the bottle was a very poorly made Malt Liquor.

10. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I never had the current Miller-brewed version, but I did try the Stroh version in the late '90's on vacation in Nevada and California and it was big disappointment. It was one of my favorites (tho' not always easy to find) when I lived in LA and elsewhere in CA in the mid-'70's.

I might even say it was as big - if not bigger - a disappointment as the Miller-brewed Ballantine XXX Ale currently on the shelves here in the northeast - and for me, that's saying a lot.

Is it only available now in 40's? They don't even mention it on the Pabst Rainier website IIRC.

It kinda still blows my mind that even as "craft beer" was taking off in the '80's and '90's, the brewers of those legacy ales continued to dumb down their product, rather than jump on the bandwagon. I suppose Pabst did some half-hearted attempts - even resurrected Old Tankard (and it sounded like it was based on the Ballantine IPA they were brewing in Milwaukee at the time) and had a short-lived Ballantine Twisted Red Ale that was obviously "inspired" by the red beer fade and Wicked Pete's.

11. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

Trumer Pils, it's a shame because it is a very good beer when not skunked.

12. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

Long gone from my market.(first and only 1 had from the "modern" era was when I bought it on a trip to CO)
    Re XXX, I bought a case online a few years back and hell yes, I was disappointed with the lack of that hop oils punch that made me the fan of it that I was but at least...it passed for a decent AAL. The Rainier Ale I had ended up being a near total drain pour.

13. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

slightly related, I have a 1L blue bottle from Highland.

14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Little kings always reminds me of a skunk drowning in an over chlorinated pool. Something better has to come out of the Natti.

15. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

Anyone remember Anheuser "World Select" from 7-8 years ago?
    It was essentially them trying to make a Heineken clone, skunkiness and all.

[​IMG]

WYVYRN527 and Stormfield like this.
  16. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

[​IMG]

The Green Death

Chaz likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

Yep, I remember it and I drank a bottle. I think it was at the local Old Chicago but I know it was light struck...

18. Bitterbill

Pooh-Bah Society

For some strange reason, I've always wanted to try it.

19. Blueribbon666

Pooh-Bah Society

To each his own, always had a soft spot for Little Kings. I actually think it loses something in that little red bull can they have it in these days, which oddly is 12oz instead of 7oz.

20. Blueribbon666

Pooh-Bah Society

Would the world even select it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.