Beer Ticking Documentary

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by xensure, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xensure

xensure Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Massachusetts

2beerdogs, tony32408 and djbreezy like this.
  2. dukes

dukes Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Maryland

What is beer ticking? I got bit by a tick once...I hope it isn't anything like that....

Rudy and WhitePumpkin like this.
  3. xensure

Beer ticking is a sort of self competition to do with beer. All of the rules and background are mentioned in the documentary.

Basically ticking is where a person always orders new beers and after drinking them he or she writes down the name of the beer, the brewer, and the ABV. To qualify as a "official" tick the person must drink at least a half-pint. And that is about it. The main guy they profile in the film is the "champion" ticker and he gets his 40,000th tick in the film.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I watched that a couple years ago and loved it. Those guys are having a blast. I'd certainly go tick some brews with 'em. It's worth watching.

5. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

There are a ton of people like that on this site. Just sub Star Wars/D&D/video games for trainspotting and add barrel aging and trades to arrive at the U.S. version.

EDIT: that said, the scenes of the hand-pulled ales are making me thirsty for some real ale.

JrGtr likes this.
  6. TheMultiYeast

TheMultiYeast Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2011 Vermont

Mick the Tick..that crazy son of a gun!

7. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

This looks like a job for the Reluctant Scooper...

DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  8. goosewhisperer

goosewhisperer Initiate (0) May 28, 2011 Colorado

"sport" huh? Sounds a lot like drinking and writing to me.

yamar68 likes this.
  9. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

The national pastime of Denmark.

10. xensure

Yeah that is why I put quotes around it. I am not sure what you call it, but 40,000 beers is undeniably awesome.

11. goosewhisperer

goosewhisperer Initiate (0) May 28, 2011 Colorado

I hear ya. Just the documentary calling it that, lol.

12. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

A half-pint seems like a particularly British aspect of ticking. IME here in the states, most tickers find a pour of just a couple ounces sufficient for a tick.

13. Sean9689

Sean9689 Pooh-Bah (2,270) Mar 17, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Here in the US, we have Nick The Tick....nickd717...he's been slacking as of late though.

cosmicevan likes this.
  14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

The video has it's own narrow definition.

In common use in the craft beer community I see it as having a pejorative sense. Usually it does not mean mere record keeping of beer reviews. Basically the deal is that tickers focus heavily on getting credit for trying a beer, regardless of how small the sample was, rather than the normal experience of drinking and savoring a normal portion (a pint or two).

Tickers prize how many ticks they have, and are "proud" of their number. They tend to focus on quantity over quality of experience, as it is common to hear of getting more than a dozen or so ticks for different people from one twelve ounce bottle at someone's tasting. Tickers are more likely to tick (and rate) a beer that was infected, expired, light damaged, etc. because it would be a life-crisis if a single bottle of beer was purchased yet one did not "get credit" for the experience. Some tickers' obsession with their number of beers tried is so important that it's as if their self-esteem depends on it. They commonly confuse having a high number with being knowledgeable about craft beer, beer styles, and brewing.

DrAwkward82 likes this.
  15. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Interesting. Never would have evolved to something like that myself.

I drink beer because I like it. Like the taste. Want more than a sip.

Sex without a "finish" is just aerobics.... Beer without enjoying the beer itself for want of a "tick" seems to be the same to me.

If it floats someone's boat - great, more power to them. Just not for me.

16. icetrauma

icetrauma Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Please educate me. What is a "tick"?

17. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Could just be me, but I don't necessarily view ticking so negatively. For example, I'm currently trying to tick the Beers of Fame list (I tend to set pretty attainable goals for myself, keeps my self-esteem up :slight_smile:), meaning I buy a full bottle or glass of a given beer and post a full review. To me, that's ticking. I'm not even counting Beers of Fame I had before I started reviewing. Now, there are probably other meanings closer to what you describe, but I've never limited the term ticking to such a negative, narrow definition.

Not sure if a BA poll has been done on this, but I'd like to see what the dominant BA perception of ticking is.

dbrauneis likes this.
  18. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Like a check in a box. A notch in one's belt.

icetrauma likes this.
  19. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well, a lot of folks here are tickers, so that would show up in the polls and I'm sure they don't necessarily see it so negatively.

Also I didn't mean to imply if someone is a ticker, then they do all of the things I mentioned. Those are just some of the behavioral examples.

When someone says "heh... they got 15 ticks out of that bottle of Hopslam" it isn't devoid of negative connotation, in my experience.

20. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

or like those swedish guys on rb that take one sip. Technically if you are just trying as many as you can that is all that is necessary. What is absurd when people review these tiny samples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.