Beer spots in Chicago

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by sukwonee, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Thank you in advance for your help on this.

I will be in Chicago with a few other folks from work this weekend and we will be staying at the Sheraton Hotel & Tower. We do not have a car, so I am mainly looking for spots I can walk to (or a short cab ride).

Are there any bars nearby with good tap list and bottle shops that you guys recommend?

Also, any decent (somewhat affordable) restaurants that aren't Chicago style pizza joints.

Thanks,

Joe

2. doogie71628

doogie71628 Devotee (367) May 9, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

If that is the Sheraton near Navy Pier, Un Cork It is right around the corner from that hotel on Illinois street. It is a good bottle shop with a decent selection. I have no ideas about bars in that area.

3. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 Illinois

Another option would be take the bus to Haymarket Pub & Brewery on Randolph and Halsted in the West Loop. You can fairly easily access the Blue Line (the "L") and take it down to the Logan Square stop and visit the Revolution Brewpub as well.

4. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Pooh-Bah (1,893) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah

Short cab ride or the El will pretty much get you to any good beer bar in Chicago! May be a little work and time, but just depends how bad you want to visit some of these bars.

5. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2010 Illinois

Sadly, all restaurants within city proper are now pizza joints. I'd suggest Pizzeria Uno or Giordano's as their food is the least like pizza.

kenm2118 likes this.
  6. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

Haha, nice. OP, depends what your looking for. If your just wanting good bar food, Haymarket, Revolution, and Hopleaf are all top choices for beer and food. Hopleaf has and very large beer list, and more unique upscale bar food, like Ramp Waffles and beef cheeks. Although, they also have the typical burger. Hopleaf is definetly my favorite, and you can take the Blue line to get there. Oh, Fountainhead and Acre are really close to there as well.

sukwonee likes this.
  7. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

The Purple Pig isn't too far from you -- great selection of small plates with strong Mediterranean influences. It's tiny, though, and they don't accept reservations, so there would likely be a wait. They have a stronger wine focus, but there are usually some interesting Italian beers available, as well.

Definitely head to Xoco (or even Frontera Grill if you don't mind a crowd -- that way, you can try Marisol if you want something different). Once upon a time, Xoco had bombers of Bramble Rye and BCBSC so who knows what will be available to wash down your tortas.

The Publican might count as affordable. Definitely a cab ride away from your hotel, but it's not too far from Haymarket if you wanted to pack in some good beer within a small area.

Jake Melnick's (well done, if not exceptional, bar food; lots of great imports via Shelton Bros); Farmhouse (farm to table, more restaurant than bar, great selection of local/regional taps); Clark St. Ale House (no food, decent selection though I don't think they clean their tap lines as thoroughly as I'd like -- something just strikes me as a little musty about that place when I go, if not the actual beer than the atmosphere, somehow (if that makes sense)); hell, even Rock Bottom might be worth trying out.

But yeah, it would be worth your while to get to the Red line (Grand stop is less than a mile away) -- the Goose Island brewpub, Local Option are all less than 10 minutes away via train. And if you're willing to spend a little more time riding, plenty more options open up.

And Kayn169, I think you mean that Hopleaf is accessible via the Red line (Berwyn stop). It's certainly a great destination, but it's pretty far north from where the OP is staying. It may not be worth spending that much time to get there.

sukwonee likes this.
  8. Kayn169

Kayn169 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2011 Illinois

And Kayn169, I think you mean that Hopleaf is accessible via the Red line (Berwyn stop). It's certainly a great destination, but it's pretty far north from where the OP is staying. It may not be worth spending that much time to get there.[/quote]

Thanks for the correction, your totally right. Was thinking about Revolution, and started typing info on Hopleaf. Damn my short attention span

9. sukwonee

Thank you so much guys. I checked out the Publican (awesome service and selection - they had saint lamvinus bottle), purple pig, and uncork it (they still got juliet and lolita).

Cheers!

Joe

evonhoff likes this.
  10. sukwonee

Thanks for the correction, your totally right. Was thinking about Revolution, and started typing info on Hopleaf. Damn my short attention span[/quote]

No worries. Thank you so much for thr suggestions. I havr 3 more days here. I will have to venture out farther.

Cheers

Joe

11. danimalarkey

danimalarkey Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2008 Illinois

Then take a cab to the city's Blue line stop (or walk - or take Red line to Jackson and transfer) and head northwest! Revolution at California stop; Piece at Damen (though it will be packed, and loud, with a younger, non-craft beer crowd most evenings); Bangers & Lace, Jerry's (skip the food) and SmallBar via Division stop (or Damen -- consult a map). Big Star is worth a stop (Damen) as is Longman & Eagle (Logan Square). And if you want a 4am bar, then head to The Owl (also Logan Square).

12. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Chicago has a subway... check beer fly for places, the ones with higher ratings are probably better, just punch the address into google to see if it is close.

13. thejesterrace666

thejesterrace666 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2011 Illinois

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.