Beer Release (Short's Brew): Publican Porter

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by BeyondDescription, Jan 1, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont
    Trader

Happy New Year! I hope everyone is having a nice holiday.

Publican Porter was the last specialty beer to be bottled in 2012. It is currently awaiting distribution throughout the great state of Michigan! A couple quick side-notes regarding it's past history...

Publican Porter was the very first beer brewed for the Imperial Beer Series (1 of 13). The first batch was brewed on June 6, 2006 and was the 194th batch ever brewed at Short's. It is officially defined as an Imperial London Porter and had no non-traditional brewing ingredients, which was rare for this series, but it shows Joe's true respect for this style of beer and the impact it had on the world as the most widely consumed style at one point in time. (the only other Imperial Beer's to not utilize and non traditional ingredients was Aorta Ale and the Good Fellar). Publican was the first beer to sell out from this series, largely due to the fact that it was one of the first beers from Short's to get shipped to Denmark to be featured at a "Beers of the World" bar.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Zaphog likes this.
  2. landrewg

landrewg Zealot (590) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Love this beer and am going to stock up before it disappears this year.
    Happy New Year, Short's!

3. BeRanger

BeRanger Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan

They should re-do that serious in large format. I see those bottle's at a fellow BA's house and want a set of my own!

BeyondDescription likes this.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Is rather keep them in 12oz format personally.

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Have these hit the shelves already? I'm leaving my parents' home in Michigan to head back to Wisconsin and wouldn't mind grabbing a sixer before I head out tomorrow.

6. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (1,097) Sep 20, 2006 Michigan

I agree, I prefer 12 oz. I would prefer all beers be in 12 oz or 375s, just way more convienent.

Steimie likes this.
  7. northernbrews

northernbrews Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2006 Michigan

I wish all beers were in 12oz/375ml as well.

I'd much rather have a 6 pack of Publican at $12 than a 750ml at $15

8. BeRanger

BeRanger Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011 Michigan

I was more so just talking about a one time release for collecting, not the day to day drinking.

9. BeyondDescription

Trader

I haven't seen any hit the shelves yet. The only place I know of is our pub.

10. Steimie

Steimie Maven (1,404) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

This.
    Every. Single. Beer.

11. BeyondDescription

Trader

I saw this for the first time on the shelf today--Big Ten East, East Lansing

12. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Michigan

I grabbed a couple on Friday and had one last night. Now that is a perfect porter. Warm and boozy mild bitter. Very delicious.

13. dlello2

dlello2 Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Illinois

If anyone is headed up to the CW Anniversary party (or to Chicago in the next few weeks for that matter) let me know. I'd love to get a sixer or two of this before it's gone!

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

What if someone is heading DOWN to the CW anniversary party? I'll take a look for ya.

dlello2 likes this.
  15. dlello2

I've got some friends heading to MN next week--could grab you some Surly as a thanks! Haha regardless, appreciate it.

16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Not a for sure thing, so don't worry about it. If I can get you a sixer or two I will, and you can just buy me a beer or two at CW, deal? Not a problem.

17. dlello2

Sounds awesome, I'll BM ya as it gets closer!

MarcatGSB likes this.
  18. BeyondDescription

Trader

Any more thoughts on this year's version?

19. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012 Michigan

I thought it was delicious. I hadn't tried older versions so I can't really compare the vintages but I will search this one out each year!

20. StoutHunter

StoutHunter Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2010 Michigan

I thought it was just a little better than last years, it was a little less sweet which I liked and I thought it made it more drinkable, I think it's right up there with Founders Porter. I liked it a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.