Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Belgium Beer Baths / Beer Spas in Belgium or Cologne?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by floorlizard, Aug 20, 2013.

1. floorlizard

floorlizard Initiate (0) Georgia Jan 6, 2006

I will be visiting Belgium during the first week of September. I will also be spending a day or two in Cologne to enjoy all of the Kolsch beers. I have always wanted to do the whole beer bath / spa thing. I know that most of these places are in The Czech Republic. However, is anybody aware of any of these type places in Belgium or in / around Cologne? Thanks is advance!
  2. The closest thing to it would be Dennoman's bathtub.
    Gutes_Bier and trevorjk like this.
  3. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (640) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Ok, first off, I'm floored that such a thing exists. After googling in German "bierbad" I surprisingly found a few in Germany. At the least, thanks for introducing me/us to a new and fascinating topic.

However, none are near Köln (Cologne). The closest I found was on the Polish border in eastern Germany and in Bayern (Bavaria), both very very far from Köln. Nonetheless, Kölsch isn't all that expensive, so buy a case, fill your bathtub in the hotel, and have at it... actually, just kidding there.

Enjoy your time in Köln. If you haven't already enough info about the place, here are some previous threads to help:
    1, & 2. Ron Pattinson's online guide personally is all you really need. Good luck and we in the German forum would love a report of your beer tastings in Köln.
    Gutes_Bier and trevorjk like this.
  4. danfue

danfue Aficionado (245) Germany Sep 16, 2012

Gutes_Bier and boddhitree like this.
  5. floorlizard

floorlizard Initiate (0) Georgia Jan 6, 2006

Thanks to all for the replies!!! I know it sounds ridiculous. However, this was something I really wanted to experience. Anyway... I am now trying to decide (not because of the lack of a beer bath) whether to go to Cologne or, instead, head to London. I will be spending 6 days in various Blegian cities on a beer-related business trip. Afterwards, I am scheduling 2 days on my own. It is roughly the same time span from Brussels to Cologne as it is to London. I have visited Cologne before (although only for a daytrip while spending 3 days in Dusseldorf) and really loved the place. Although I did visit Yorkshire (Samuel Smith) about a year ago, I have never been to London. I LOVED Yorkshire even more than Cologne/Dusseldorf. I also LOVE english cask ales. I also love Kolsch beers. Quite honestly, the only thing tipping the scales in favor of Cologne has NOTHING to do with beer... what to do?