Baltimore, MD distribution

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by wiscokid920, Sep 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 Wisconsin

Hello BA Mid-Atlantic Community!

I'm going to be relocating to Balt. MD for a new position and am looking for some suggestions as to what my options are in the Baltimore Area.

Unfortunately, I noticed that Founders and Bells does not distribute to MD. What are your brewery recommendations?

Thanks

2. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania

Wilkommen!

In terms of stuff you wouldn't have had in WI, Union and Evolution are local and pretty great, plus you'll get some of the more local options from PA like Troegs and Yards.

Here is a venn diagram style list: http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/?s=MD&p=WI&sort=alpha

Didn't realize WI doesn't see Stone, so that will be a nice pick-up for you. Other standouts are Allagash, Ballast Point, Boulevard, Firestone Walker, Great Divide, Schalfly, Terrapin, and Uinta.

A few on there I've never actually seen in MD though: Perennial, Prairie, Southampton, Williamsburg, maybe a few others; so don't get your hopes too high for those.

3. BaltimoreBeerGuy

BaltimoreBeerGuy Devotee (390) Jun 7, 2003 Maryland

What part of town are you moving to?
    In addition to Union and Evolution, we just got a new very good brewery in my neighborhood:
    http://peabodyheightsbrewery.com/about.html

Message me, brother, I couldnt find the link to message you.

- Your new Baltimore beer friend.

4. DrBier

DrBier Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2011 Pennsylvania

As a BA GET PSYCHED. You are moving to a great beer town, Philly & DC, both incedible beer towns as well, are a pretty short train ride away. An hour and a half north you get the Harrisburg / Lancaster Area with Troegs, Pizza Boy and Spring House to name a few. Founders and Bells are both easily available in this area of PA as well. The Wine Source in Hampden is one of the better bottle shops in the city and just start at Max's in Fells Point for your beer bar. Have fun exploring.

5. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2011 Wisconsin

Thanks for the help!

Can't wait to get out there!

6. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,160) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Recent transplant to Baltimore from Wisconsin via Iowa and Virginia. It does stink some of the Midwest beers don't make it but there is plenty of good East Coast beers to try.

7. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Hope to see you at Max's sometime. I am trying to think of good bottleshops just within the city (Wine Source is the closest great one but that is a ways down the JFX. The only bottleshops I ever frequented inside the city were Loading Dock Liquors (eh) and Canton Market (a bit better), but that was it. If you ever need help finding something or just want to grab a beer, let me know (BM).

8. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Shrug. I lived in Baltimore (OK, Owings Mills actually) for just under 6 years, and never had a problem getting all the Founders, Bells and Half Acre that I wanted (just as an example). It might have been a little pricey at times, and I might have had to do a little driving to get them, but other than that....

Even was able to get some 3 Floyds from to time to time, though that was a bit more diffciutl.

9. RichardMNixon

Err... care to share your secrets? Are they more complicated than "drive to PA?"

10. John_M

:slight_smile: Not much more than complicated than that.

For Founders, Bells and Half Acre: "Get in the car and drive to Pa. (usually Harrisburg or the Philly area)."

For 3 Floyds" "Get in the car and drive to DC."

Of course 3 Floyd stuff isn't actually distributed in DC, so it's much more limited there (however, restaurants and bars are allowed to bring in beer directly from any brewery they choose, which is why you can even find bottles of pliny in some stores from time to time.). Bells and Founders are also available in the DC area, but prices there tend to be considerably higher, so most of the time I would buy my KBS, breakfast stout, two hearted and hopslam up in Pa.

Hell, you can even find stuff from Cascade, HOTD and Boneyard from time to time up in Pa., not to mention anything that RR distributes (including younger). Sure, it would be nicer if those beers were distributed in Maryland as well, but Harrisburg, Philly and DC are no more than an hour or two drive from pretty much any place in Baltimore. That's an easy drive to make for someone who might be pining away for a pint of two hearted or daisy cutter.

Cheers!

11. aleckpa

aleckpa Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina

I think it also comes down to preference. I lived in Baltimore city for 2 years, and was always disappointed with the selection in the stores. IPA's would be 6 months-12 months old . Also, I really missed out on no Bell's, Sweetwater, and Founder's. I didn't want to spend the time and money to drive a long distance just to get it. However, Firestone Walker was always available and Heavy Seas seasonals are really good.

12. John_M

I'm not sure I understand this sentiment. I've yet to live any place where you won't find a problem with old stock not getting rotated or removed at some of the stores in the area. Unfortunately, the bigger the store (and so the larger the inventory), the more widespread the problem tends to be. State Line seems to do a pretty good job keeping old stock off their shelves (for the most part), as does/did Al's of Hampden, but in my experience, they seem to be the exception. At least in my experience, Baltimore is no worse then any place else (just like every place else, there are some stores that are notorious for keeping very old stock on the shelves, and other places where it's not such a great problem).

As for selection, shrug... craft beer distribution in the Baltimore area is better than a lot of places, but of course it can't compare to the SEPA/Philly area, which seems to have the best selection in the country. On the other hand, largely due to places like State Line and Max's, the import selection that comes into Baltimore is the best I've seen anywhere.... period!

I guess it's all a matter of perception aleckpa. I lived in Baltimore for a total of 9 years, and while I was initially unhappy with the selection there (this was back in 01), it got better and better over time. By the time I moved away, I was completely satisfied with the beer selection there. I used to be unhappy with the IPA/DIPA selection, but now that you can get things like Racer 5 (and even X on rare occasions), Lunch, Sculpin, Union Jack and Double Jack (just to name a few), that's a thing of the past.

13. REVZEB

REVZEB Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,092) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If I may inquire to follow up on these insights, where are the best places to get singles/six packs in Baltimore and central pa? Lots of places that sell cases have nice selection for sure, especially up bear Harrisburg

14. RKP

RKP Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2009 Virginia

I think you mean Founders.

15. John_M

Beerfly (places now) does a pretty good job providing this info. In any event, depending where you are in the area, I would recommend the Wine Source, Total Wine/Corridor wine, Total wine (Towson), Honeygo, Dawsons, Fishpaws, Well's, and Shawan. Perfect Pour also has a great selection, but the knock on them has always been their extravagant prices. Shawan, Dawsons, Honeygo, Fishpaws, total wine and the PP are actually located just outside Baltimore.

As for Central Pa., I pretty much always did my shopping at Westy's, Al's of Hampden/Pizza Boy and the Wegmans in Mechanicsburg.

REVZEB likes this.
  16. Escott

Escott Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2013 Maryland

Perrenial is definitely in MD. I've seen it at Ye Olde in Frederick and State Line. I talked to someone at Wine Source last week, and they said they'd be getting it in soon! I've never seen the other three you mention though. And I second the Union love, and I think Duclaw has been stepping up their game lately. I've really been enjoying Oliver Ales (Pratt Street Ale House); some of the seasonals of late have been very good.

17. gillagorilla

I can't be the only one, but I always get Perennial and Prairie mixed up. They also have similar artistic styles. Both are in MD, but only at the better beer stores (if you see them, then you are most likely in a great spot). Dawson's has both of them I believe, too bad they are over the bridge for me.

I don't think I've seen Southampton (not that I've been looking for them). The same with Williamsburg, but I might have seen them (they look more familiar, compared to the distinctive Southampton labels that I don't recognize).

18. John_M

The impression I have is that Md. gets a pretty limited supply of both (Southampton and Perennial). Max's has stuff from both breweries on their bottle list (in fact Casey gave me a bottle of the Vermillion the last time I stopped by; sort of as a going away gift I guess). However, as gill points out, you really only seem to see them at the better beer stores in the area (not sure about Perennial, but I'm fairly certain I've seen Southampton at State Line in the past).

19. gillagorilla

Well, I have yet to make it up there yet (State Line). Yeah, I always forget to include Max's, because I never think of them as a bottle shop (which they are, with the added benefit of being a great bar with a lot of taps). Max's is like a little beer island or oasis that gets a ton of stuff unavailable elsewhere in MD. Also, I would like to add that Wine Source gets a few De Struise beers (only place I have seen it).

20. RichardMNixon

I do basically all my shopping at State Line and I've never seen them; are they around regularly or just from time to time if you come in that particular week?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.