Ball Lock leak

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by mdsmerg, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdsmerg

mdsmerg Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2015 Indiana

I am new to kegging. I have a co2 leak and cannot find a video or forum that addresses this kind of leak so I posted a short video describing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Welcome to the BA site, @mdsmerg. I suspect that this thread will get moved to the Homebrewing or the Home Bar forum because this kind of topic is discussed in those forums occasionally. If you want to get a head start before your thread is moved, browse thru those forums to see if you can find an answer, or sit tight and see if you get a reply with advice that is specific to your problem.

#2 PapaGoose03, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  3. smanson56

smanson56 Pooh-Bah (2,008) Feb 15, 2014 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

From your video it looks like the connector isn't fully seated on the keg. try holding up on the locking collar and see if it will and pushing down at the same time and see if it will seat deeper.

4. mdsmerg

mdsmerg Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2015 Indiana

i followed your advice. Still leaking :slight_frown: . It seems to be locked as deeply as the beer line ball lock which does not seem to be leaking.

5. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

rebuild the thing.

first unscrew the ball lock post with a 7/8" wrench. clean it out. make sure the o-rings are good. make sure the poppet is seated and has a good spring. make sure the valve is fully tightened in the threaded connection.

unscrew the gas disconnect. use a flat head screw driver to remove the cap, pull out the pin. it should have a small o-ring on one side. the pin has a short and a long side. be sure that when it is assembled the pin is put back correctly. you can turn on the gas with the disconnect off of the keg. if it is tight, you should probably be concentrating on the keg.

be sure the disconnect fully engages the valve. it should click into position.

turn on the gas. that is all there is to it.
    Cheers.

6. PortLargo

PortLargo Pooh-Bah (1,737) Oct 19, 2012 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society

spares are not just for bowling . . .

In addition to billandsuz's comments, I recommend you stockpile some o-rings. Buying the standard 5-pack is a rip off. For less than 3 bucks you can get a pack of 100 for your diptubes, the post o-rings are only a little more expensive. They are available online, including Amazon Prime. Keeping a few spare poppets is a stress-reliever.

I have a squirt bottle of starsan that lives by my keezer. A squirt or two usually points out any leak problems. Even if there is no noticeable leaking, it's still not a bad idea to hit the top of your posts, lid, and PRV every time you pressurize a keg. The internal QD o-ring has a lower probability of failing, but they can go tits-up. Crank up your pressure and dunk the gas QD in a bucket of water . . . you'll know if it's leaking.

. . . and turn that camera 90 degrees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.