1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

BA Kopi

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by theruckus33, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theruckus33

theruckus33 Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2010 Missouri

So yeah.....thanks for the replies and help, this thread has run its course! Or "Nuked the Fridge".

2. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

People like you are always going to be outnumbered by the voluminous amount of idiots. Don't take it personally and hold your head high, then it won't bother you. Most of us are more than willing to give 2012ers a chance. Most of them are just blowing the opportunity.

cbeer88 and domtronzero like this.
  3. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2012 Florida

Yea it is most certainly how you present yourself. But look at it like this. Say you are going to that party and you are not going to do any of those things but someone told the guy who was throwing the party that he heard you were a dickhead even though you aren't (maybe you just hung out in a group and a kid from that group was a dick to the person). You will automatically be treated differently by some of those people just because someone associated your whole group with actions of one.

When you say that a lot of questionable ones have clogged up the forums I see no problem in that because you acknowledged that not all are like that. I am referring to when the guy further up said "It says a lot about 2012 join dates" just because one guy called him a troll. To me that's a dumb generalization. To me it speaks to the character of the person posting not when they joined.

Knifestyles likes this.
  4. kirbmeist

Your right. I am more talking about it bothers me that it leads to some people not giving the chance. Which when think about it I shouldn't bother with those small minded people anyways.

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  5. shebby

shebby Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Utah

Personally, I think it's bad form to retrade a trade, and it irks me when I see threads like this pop up. It's one thing if you get a beer you didn't request in a trade and you're not a fan of a style, but if you explicitly seek it out, only to pass it off at the first chance, it seems like profiteering. I've received some nice stuff in trades, but I trade to try/share that nice stuff, not to immediately turn it around for something bigger and better. I know that once the beer is in your possession, you're technically free to do whatever you want with it, but it seems to me that it goes against the whole spirit of trading. And why does it have to be all about wales anyway?

6. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2005 New York

Have you been reading my diary?

MikeTen and kirbmeist like this.
  7. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 California

One thing I have learned in the last year as a 2012er, whales are not consider whales due to taste alone. Don't let the whale or rare hype drive your need to try a beer, you will be let down more times then not.

8. kirbmeist

I thought I recognized your name. I'm glad we can have these healthy discussions without anyone turning to an ass. Also, I had to stop myself from bursting out with laughter in the middle of my materials class when I read that post.

Knifestyles likes this.
  9. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

For srs? ISO! Get at me!

[​IMG]

sliverX, MikeTen, queens1130 and 3 others like this.
  10. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

Twenty Twelvers ARE bad.

11. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

:grinning:

12. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

The easiest way to avoid being called a 2012er is to not act like a 2012er.

13. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (1,093) Jun 18, 2009 Arizona

Truth. The fact of the matter is that nobody will click on your profile to check your join date if you aren't doing something that warrants question of 2012 status.

14. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

interesting...

15. FishPondManager

FishPondManager Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Colorado

But you still checked my join date, amirite?

And to the OP, drink your BA Kopi, its fucking righteous bro

theruckus33 likes this.
  16. theruckus33

You make a few good points. I don't see it as profiteering as much as it is potentially setting a person up for a "bucket-list" beer. For instance, an Abraxas and Sump wont land a Rare, but perhaps a BA Kopi and Darkness will. Now, I know that I can't get the Rare without trading for a Kopi, so I make a trade for the Kopi leaving the option open for later trading for a Rare. How is that wrong? Since, when did having a dream for a beer you have never had, by retrade a trade come off as "bad form". What's the point of trading then - why not just be content with the beer you have from your local craft brewers. For instance, you note that your top wants are a Cherry Rye and Cantillion on your profile page. Are you suggesting that you wouldn't re-trade a beer if given the opportunity it could afford either one of those options? I find this an unnecessary guiding ethic. Trading is just that......trading. I have received a real enjoyment from it, I find that the "extras" are just as exciting as the beer I trade for, and was looking for suggestions on what to do. If someone said, yeah it is considered a "whale" and I have always wanted to try Kate the Great. Well, then why not put the Kopi on the trading table if my desire for Kate the Great outweighs the Kopi?
    The problem I see, is the rather subjective nature that drives the ethics of beer trading, without really trying to understand the intentions. Thus, some people offer really helpful suggestions i.e. to enjoy the beer that you traded for - while others seek to either derail the conversation or make snarky comments that question motives without seeking to understand intentions. My question was What would you do if you were me? - which you answered - but still others have chosen to derail the thread about the nuances of a person who joined BA earlier than others - whatever that is about.

17. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (1,093) Jun 18, 2009 Arizona

I hadn't, but now that I know your dirty little secret, get out of here you 2012er :slight_smile:.

FishPondManager likes this.
  18. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

I would just accept that I won't be able to try a RARE. It's not the end of the world.

19. theruckus33

That I wont or you wont? :slight_smile:

20. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2012 South Carolina

OP drink the damn beer. Regular BA Speedway is one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of having (thanks to Siggy125). I can't wait to try my BA Kopi Speedway (thanks again to Siggy125).

I really don't understand trading beers your traded for. Why did you trade for the beer in the first place if you didn't intend to drink it? Instead of trading your beer for beer #1 with the intention of trading that beer #1 for beer #2 why not just trade your beer for beer #2 right off the bat. I'm sure UPS and FedEx don't mind but it sure seems like a waste of $ to me.

shebby and theruckus33 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.