August Schell Berliner Weisse

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by mothman, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mothman

mothman Grand Pooh-Bah (5,802) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Introducing the Noble Star Collection

New Ulm, MN. February 26, 2013 - August Schell Brewing Company is set to release “The Star of the North” this summer—the first in a lineup of specialty beers called The Noble Star Collection.
    Envisioned by Brewmaster Jace Marti, The Noble Star Collection will showcase unique and innovative beers based on the Berliner Weisse style. This traditional German style beer is nearly extinct, but a natural fit for the August Schell Brewing Company which prides itself on brewing using traditional methods. A Berliner Weisse is tart and effervescent, produced via a mixed fermentation of yeast, lactic acid bacteria and brettanomyces, with the latter two being authentic strains imported directly from Berlin. The beer will undergo a long, slow secondary fermentation in a cypress wood tank, where the porous nature of the wood will allow the defining characteristics of the beer to develop. All the beers will be bottle-conditioned in hand-filled cork and caged champagne bottles, where the flavors will continue to develop and evolve over time.
    Marti used a special piece of Schell’s history to create The Noble Star Collection. In 1936, just three years after prohibition ended, the Schell’s brewery expanded to keep up with demand. With the expansion came a new lagering cellar and 10 new 140-barrel cypress wood lagering tanks built by Dunk Tank Works in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The tanks were constructed with two-inch thick wooden staves that were hand-cut from old growth, southern Cypress trees.
    Prized for their extremely dense grain and neutral flavor contribution, these tanks were then lined with pitch to prevent the beer from contacting the wood. For the next 55 years, these tanks yielded countless barrels of Schell’s beer before being retired in 1991. Two years later, eight of the cypress tanks were removed from the cellar and replaced with modern, stainless steel tanks. The two remaining tanks sat dormant until 2008, when extensive restoration work began in an attempt to revive one of them. Five years later, the tank is ready to once again hold Schell’s beer, though this time in an entirely new way.
    The Star of the North will be available this summer in 750ml bottles.

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=b97c1fd0f01e3a15f7e1faa72&id=cbdf46f563
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, please!

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Posted about this in the "Beer Releases" section. Can't wait for these beers from Schell's!!

I also made a thread a while back about beer styles I wish that breweries made more of and Berliner Weisse was the style in particular I mentioned. I am guessing this is gonna be awesome.

tgchief and Rob-P like this.
  3. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

4. herman77

herman77 Maven (1,486) Jan 24, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

Only had a Berliner Weiss once and it was just a few weeks ago at Cigar City. It was made with kumquats, so I don't know how much of that had an influence on the taste. It was very interesting, but good. Unlike any other sour/wild yeast beer I've had before.

5. accordselux

accordselux Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2007 Minnesota

Definitely like Berliner Weiss. Will buy.

6. MN_Beerticker

MN_Beerticker Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2012 Minnesota

News from New Ulm keeps getting better and better!

7. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Zealot (631) May 25, 2005 Nebraska

sounds awesome, but i was really hoping this would be in 6 packs, how great would that have been

BuckettOfBeer, Rob-P and accordselux like this.
  8. accordselux

accordselux Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2007 Minnesota

At least 4 packs. I'd rather have 12 oz servings. Perfect on a summer day after yard work!

pmccallum86 likes this.
  9. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota

All this from a "crafty" brewery...:rolling_eyes: (Charlie P still sucks in my book)

Ungertaker, BrettHead and hardy008 like this.
  10. hardy008

hardy008 Pooh-Bah (2,257) Jan 12, 2008 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I can't wait to try this.

11. minnesotaryan

minnesotaryan Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Minnesota

12. pmccallum86

pmccallum86 Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2009 Minnesota

Sounds awesome but as mentioned above I'd prefer Berliner Weiss in 4 or 6 packs

13. Beerbelly22

Beerbelly22 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2012 Minnesota

Can't wait to try this. Congrats!

14. BuckettOfBeer

BuckettOfBeer Zealot (506) Mar 19, 2010 Minnesota

Ditto on 6 packs. This is one of the sour styles that I actually like so this is pretty exciting. Schells is stepping their game up!

15. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

Oh fuck yeah.

16. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

very cool! crafty my ass...

17. Philly82785

Philly82785 Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

I'm looking forward to a big bottle series of Schells

18. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2008 Minnesota

1. Psyched for this.

2. I believe the first stag series, barrel aged schmaltz's alt, was in large bottles. Bombers? Not sure if they were C & C though.

19. grantcty

grantcty Pundit (952) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Had my last one a few weeks ago. They were bombers, but not C&C.

20. mothman

mothman Grand Pooh-Bah (5,802) Jun 21, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Still have one or two of these left! Bombers indeed.

Looking for a stag series Rauchbeir if anybody has one. Please!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.