Any Yeungling fans in PDX?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by ajay, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajay

ajay Devotee (315) Jun 12, 2008 New Jersey

Last time I brought some Yeungling, bartenders took care of my bar tab at three different locales. I didn't realize it was essentially like Coors was in the old days, or like Fat Tire to East Coasters.

I'm bringing six friends down from NJ to PDX in late October, and with my baggage allowance, I think I can bring a lot - several cases worth. I think it'd be neat to bring enough to stock a fun Eagles/Steelers bar (I'm not from PA, so I wouldn't even know if such bars exist in PDX) or even
    make some new beer friends happy.

Is that a good idea? Who or where could I bring it and have it appreciated? Even if I don't hear from some folks here, I'll bring some anyways. I love the look on folks' faces, like when I had a case I brought to the Green Dragon.

2. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (1,133) Aug 28, 2009 Florida

I think you'd be welcomed a little better if you brought Brooklyn, Pretty Things, Smuttynose, Sixpoint, Troegs, and a host of other beers that are available to you and more desireable than Yeungling.

3. guajolote

guajolote Maven (1,325) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I personally don't think it's anything special. It might be a step up from Budweiser, but that's not saying much. A lot of people do seem to go crazy for it for some reason though.

I know Lompoc Hedge House is a Steelers bar (or was a couple of years ago), but I'm not sure how they'd react to Yuengling being brought in. You might do better with Iron City there...

4. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

I played pong with yuengling in college when we felt like upper class citizens (got tired of natty)

5. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think the question is whether or not there are enough folks in PDX with ties to the NE. Having lived out here for a number of years now, I'm convinced the fondness some folks have for Yuengling is something of a regional thing. The beer is readily available where I live at the present time, and each time I'm with some friends who love it, I always feel as if I must be missing something when I hear them say how great it is, and how proud they are it's made out here (oldest American Brewery, etc.). That's fine, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but the tradtional lager gets a 78 score on BA, and IMHO, that's probably a bit generous.

It's a nice gateway beer for those who are accustomed to drinking BMC, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the beer, but for the life of me, I've never understood the excitement and passion some folks have for the beer.

guajolote likes this.
  6. philhyde

philhyde Crusader (411) Jul 22, 2010 Oregon

I love Yeungling and would appreciate the gesture!

7. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

Id be much more appreciative of a case of Jack dOr :slight_smile:

hopsbreath likes this.
  8. JohnnyP3

JohnnyP3 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Alaska

I don't live in PDX, but I'm sure there would be some PA transplants who would appreciate it while watching the games on Sunday. Like you said, if there is an establishment where Eagles or Steelers fans frequent, that should be your target. If I found some Yuengling Porter or Black and Tan in Anchorage, I'd probably scoop some up just for old times sake.

9. ajay

ajay Devotee (315) Jun 12, 2008 New Jersey

That's what I was thinking as well. I can certainly bring Brooklyn/Troegs/etc, but that is a little more "specific" as to who's looking for it/wants it. Yeungling seemed to have that effect last time - not sure Brooklyn or Sixpoint will have the same "wow" factor. Having said that, folks can beer message me if there's something that they want from here..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.