Any Knoxville/east TN BAs looking for a tasting group?

Discussion in 'South' started by AlexFields, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexFields

AlexFields Pooh-Bah (1,826) Dec 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

Seems like there are lots of new TN folks on BA whom I haven't met, and we haven't reached out to anyone in a while, so I figured I'd put out a notice. Our Knoxville tasting group has been together for years but has lost two of its core members, and we're down to just two BAs (Photekut and I) plus my girlfriend a couple of friends/family who sometimes come but aren't into BA/trading/etc.

We open a lot of great stuff, do a lot of trading, etc., and try to have tastings about once a month. If anyone in the area is interested, and particularly if anyone who's newer is looking for help getting into trying rarer stuff and trading, we'd love to invite you to drink some beers with us. Just shoot me a BM!

Examples of upcoming tastings:

-opening a set of all Jackie O's STAFF bottles plus a couple others in a couple weeks
    -got a Hill Farmstead tasting coming up after that with Juicy and about eight others
    -going to do a tasting of VA beers with Gingerbread Stout, bourbon Gingerbread, and all the other special releases from Hardywood including Quadrawine
    -working on a big BA stout tasting--so far we've got Chocolate Rain, Rare, BA Speedway, Black Note, BA Solar Eclipse, Pugachev's Cobra, BA Blackout, etc.

2. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Like pulling teeth in East TN...

3. AlexFields

Trader

Dozens of people in Knoxville will pay to drink the same draft beers at the beer market all the time but you can never get anyone to come drink rare stuff for free. :slight_smile:

4. MattCrowell

MattCrowell Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2011 Tennessee

Hey guys, my name is Matt Crowell & I am the founder of the KnoxBeerCrew. We are a group of craft beer fans here in Knoxville. I have been drinking good beer for years along with a number of our other members (though to be honest, some of our members are just getting into craft beer since we are open to anyone joining that is interested in learning and sharing). We currently have 60-70 members and I noticed that you both know Curtis McArthur, who I hang out with occasionally and is also aware of our group and what we are doing, so I wanted to throw out an invite. We do monthly tastings here in Knoxville, and are actually having this months at Suttree's downtown on Saturday afternoon 12-29.

I myself have tried around 1,700 unique beers, which are listed HERE and keep a pretty solid cellar which can be found HERE. Even if you aren't interested in our group, I would love to meet and share some beer, so please let me know. It would be great to meet you guys! Cheers.

5. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

I'll try and make it down for the Jackie O's. Very gracious offer!

6. AlexFields

Trader

Matt: sounds like a cool thing going on, first I've heard of it. I'll definitely try and make the monthly tastings when I can--not sure if I can come tomorrow because in driving to Asheville at some point in the afternoon. Might be able stop by though for an hour or so.

Our next tasting will be January 5, if you want to come let me know and we'll get you directions to JR's house. Drinking a bunch of Jackie O's.

Curtis was one of the core members of our tasting group before he moved to Nashville. Still have tastings with him occasionally. I think he's hoping to make it back to Knoxville for our Kuhnhenn meads tasting sometime this year.

7. AlexFields

Trader

Also, Matt, how many people usually show up to these? I've got a bomber of 21% abv beer (Colossus) that I've been scared to open at our small tastings but if there are gonna be a good number of ppl there tomorrow it might be a good chance to get that bottle opened without risking liver damage or a DUI.

8. MattCrowell

There are usually about 20ish people. From the email responses I've gotten so far I would say there are going to be about that many this time. You're welcome to stop by and share whatever you like. If not we will have to get together some time soon for sure.

9. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

This sounds like a great group of people, and both of you really sound welcoming in your invites. I hope at some point I can be in your neck when one of these gatherings are going on.
    Have to say though, knowing the eastTN area and the south in general when it comes to beer appreciation, these type of event descriptions would make me too self conscious to attend if I simply wanted to meet new mates but had only been lucky enough to score a 4-pack of Gonzo and thought it might not be worthy.

So are you looking for like-minded folks or something more of a supergroup like Asia?

10. MattCrowell

We would welcome you for sure. We enjoy meeting new people that are appreciative of any good beer. Let me know if you are ever interested.

11. Bcarson7287

Bcarson7287 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2012 California

hahaha
    Hey everyone!! I just wanted to introduce myself, I live here in Knoxville and have been trying to meet some people that are into the craft brew scene. It would be great to meet y'all!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.