Announcing: The 2013 Night Shift Barrel Society

Discussion in 'New England' started by Todd, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

I discussed splitting a membership with a friend(I was going to let him have the t shirt) but the bottom line is that neither of us were that interested in the proposed temporary possible change line up. That and having to pick up(which is standard, both of us are car-less though). In the end we looked at beers coming out in the next month and decided we'd rather just spend our money on soon to be released(or wtf is the beer ie Harpoon 100 Coffee Porter) than go with something unknown.

2. AdamP

AdamP Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

They've released three and another one will be released on Thursday, so...

3. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

All I see is the oncemade beer. Are these other releases something I had the chance to buy somewhere and take home? I dont even see reviews or anything in their website's beer listings. Why would I drop $250 blindly on a brand new brewery's barrel project?

4. AdamP

They released two different beers aged in a Knob Creek barrel as part of the Kappy's Barrel Series. The first was BBL Trifecta and the second (should still be on shelves) is BBL Viva Habanera. They were sold primarily out of Kappy's, but also a few cases out of the brewery's taproom.

Kennison25 and LynnHomeBrewer like this.
  5. wdarcy77

wdarcy77 Pundit (865) Nov 27, 2008 Massachusetts

So, can I just show up to their party and try these 7 beers without forking over $250? Pretty much what Night Shift did for their Oncemade release.

benbking likes this.
  6. IPAKennison29

IPAKennison29 Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Massachusetts

I believe this is a great idea and deal, all of their BA brews so far have been mighty tasty esp the Viva KBS which I think is one of my favorite beers Ive had this year. These guys always bring it to the table and make fantastic beers. I will 100% be joining the barrel society, $15 a bottle plus a kick ass party and other extras is a GREAT deal in my mind. Cheers to Night Shift and keep up the great work.

LynnHomeBrewer likes this.
  7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Three exclusive BA releases with no ground breaking results.

8. AdamP

Sure is a good thing that they're not forcing anyone to join then. :rolling_eyes:

Kennison25 likes this.
  9. myspoonistoobig

myspoonistoobig Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2009 Massachusetts

The other guy gets the membership card, obviously.

I like these guys, but the price is steep and given the format I'm afraid I'll have to pass unless I can split it with someone. Why give us two bottles of each? $150 with one bottle of each seems easier to swallow. Even that I would consider splitting.

All that said, it seems like every beer they release is way better than the last one, so I might tag along for this.

DrinkingIPA and LynnHomeBrewer like this.
  10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

What are the benefits to being a member of a "society" in the long run? Are the greatest benefits a reduced price on their beers, access to beers before they are released, and access to beers that may never be released?

This doesn't appear to be the case, but do you receive any "stockholder" benefits by "investing" money in the brewery? Or at the end of the day, is this simply a donation that gets you reduced prices on their beers, a t-shirt, business card, and tickets to a sweet party?

11. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I joined. They're good people, I like their beer, I'm excited to watch them grow and get to taste cool beer along the way. Sure - maybe it's a bit expensive, but they're very, very small, and they need it.

I was pretty offended by the idea of ONCEMADE, but mostly because Pintley was clearly siphoning off $$$. I have no problem giving these guys some capital when they say very clearly that they're using it to build the brewery. Looking forward to it!

franklinn, LynnHomeBrewer and AdamP like this.
  12. PaulB

PaulB Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2002 Massachusetts

So, how long have you worked for Night Shift? :slight_smile:

jlordi12 and EnronCFO like this.
  13. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Maven (1,396) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm thinking I will do this, as I have ditched my bruery RS membership for 2013. This will save a lot of money over shipping my beer in from Cali. I know they will not be as extensive as the rs right away but every year the rs seems to release more beers with higher allotments and it gets damn expensive. With that said I am going to go to the brewery tonight after work to check it out and try the beers they currently have. I will make my decision to join after the trip. If I join I would probably be willing to be a trustee/proxy for anyone thinking of joining.

LynnHomeBrewer likes this.
  14. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Looks like these won't be though. They've updated the page to say "corked and caged." *waves hi to NSB guys reading the thread*

They've also quickly addressed some of the things to come up in this thread. For instance...

They've "discounted" the bottles 10% (just like my packie!), but the price remains at $250 because that $20 was reallocated to the cost of the party.

Concerned about having to fight over that tshirt with the guy with whom you're splitting the bottles? No problem! You can buy a second one for $10. The first is still considered a $15 value though, so you're getting a good deal there.

woosterbill likes this.
  15. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

They did a few things right at least with this. This is timed very well for a Christmas gift and not priced out of it for boyfriends/husbands.

16. cbeer88

cbeer88 Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Hmm... what else can we ask for with our collective forum purchasing power...

Seriously though - one last thing that might put it over the top for people is to sell the beer from their taproom for a 10% discount to members. (growlers, bottles, and any extras of these releases) The Bruery gives 15% off on everything to members.

I'm going to buy either way, but it would be another nice perk.

17. robNSB

robNSB Zealot (593) Oct 6, 2009 Massachusetts

We appreciate the constructive suggestions. The barrel society is meant to be a community that we hope to utilize for ideas to help build a unique brewery. We would love to offer discounts on beer at the tasting room for members, but our great state won't allow us to discount alcohol ( same law that prevents happy hours). Maybe our Barrel Society can be a new voice to change that antiquated law, one day.

18. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Wait, really? Everything in 204 CMR 4.00 is pretty clearly limited to sales for on-premises consumption. And the stuff in MGL 138 that prohibits price discrimination and discounts applies only to sales made to wholesalers or retailers. While it says that sec 15 licenses (package stores) must post a price list and sell only at those prices, there is no such language in the sec 19 licenses.

Regardless, a little creative thinking can easily solve these problems. You just need beers or package sizes only available to BS members. One idea: switch to 32oz growlers, and give 64oz growlers only to BS members, and price 64oz fills $1 more than 32oz fills. Or, if you're worried about the happy hour law, have a BS hour, closed to the public, during which you can discount the sales. Or do what you do with the excess BS bottles: stick a BS label on them, discount the price versus non-BS beers, and reserve them for BS members. There's nothing that says you can't discriminate who you sell your stock to, right?

Auror likes this.
  19. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Great, now I just spent 30 minutes reading up on MA liquor laws...again.

20. rowingbrewer

rowingbrewer Maven (1,396) May 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Went down and tried the beers and liked them a lot. The guys there seem to be pretty relaxed. I joined the barrel society and am willing to be a trustee for anyone out of the area just pm me about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.