Anheuser-Busch should buy these craft beer brewers next

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by raulstotle12, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raulstotle12

raulstotle12 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 California

SteveB24, khargro2 and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Zealot (623) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Who knows. Elysian and 10 Barrel were a surprise so I'm sure the next one will be too. Hopefully it's not another NW brewery.

302BeerGuy likes this.
  3. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

If they buy Victory, I will be furious.

Damian74, Himself, dagimp and 21 others like this.
  4. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

They really weren't that surprising if you look at the business and distribution plans for both breweries. 10 Barrel particularly.

5. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'd rather see Duvel going after all these craft breweries. This way it can stay craft.

Westyn, Himself, Shroud0fdoom and 6 others like this.
  6. russpowell

russpowell Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,256) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I for one would be depressed if any of those breweries we purchased by AB...

Brolo75 and G_Z_a like this.
  7. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

AbInbev's plan is pretty transparent as far as setting up a network of regional brands. Who specifically would they target? I'd guess they "need" a Southern partner soon, or maybe one from Texas. (of course this is all conjecture)

russpowell likes this.
  8. 2_Beardz

2_Beardz Zealot (538) Apr 4, 2014 Florida
    Trader

lol "Hunahpu’s Russian Imperial stout"

ehhhh not quite but nice try

9. wspscott

wspscott Pooh-Bah (1,934) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society

"Craft" is just an artificial label. What if the beer did not change at all with Duvel vs AB, why would this artificial label matter?

10. ffOpusx

ffOpusx Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2011 California
    Trader

YES!!!! if people want to sell out, so be it!!! Its the American way!!!!!

11. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Pooh-Bah (1,813) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

it's fun for everyone to be all like, 'If I owned a brewery, I'd never 'sell out'..'
    but, **everyone** is not in that situation.

I know I would like to do in that situation (not sell out), but staring at a contract that would result in generational wealth for me and my family may end up with me taking the cash. Who knows though??

Brolo75, Absolut, zestd and 3 others like this.
  12. BMBCLT

Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah, okay! Sure!

13. wspscott

wspscott Pooh-Bah (1,934) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society

Awesome argument, good talking with you :slight_smile:

mjach, PBoegel, Norica and 3 others like this.
  14. digita7693

digita7693 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2010 Germany

I hate the man, hate em! But id sell out in a fucking heartbeat, lets be honest. Take the money, secure my family forever, and then start a smaller project that I can do whatever I want with.

15. BMBCLT

Pooh-Bah Society

"Artificial label"? What does that even mean? You're missing the point here. That way it'd be in CRAFT hands and not AB/InBev.

DWheeler379 likes this.
  16. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

They need a brewery or 2 in the South East, 1 in the Southwest and another Midwestern brewery.
    The quality of the beer has little to do with their plan. They are concerned with production facilities and distribution.

17. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

I don't think we can discount anyone, but I think Ska is a long shot based upon the current owners.

Jeffreysan likes this.
  18. HeislerGold

HeislerGold Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2013 Michigan

AB-InBev should by Atwater. The corporation gets a rapidly expanding brewery and beer enthusiasts don't lose any breweries we actually care about. It's a win-win.

19. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Those PA laws might be tough on beer consumers, but they weren't anti-brewer (the PA brewers association claims they help write the post-Repeal laws, and Dick Yuengling remains a strong supporter). PA had more local and regional breweries than any other state for much* of the period after Repeal into the craft era. At the start of the "craft" era, in 1976, PA was home to nearly a quarter of all the existing US brewing companies (11 out of 49).

They still have more pre-craft, non-macro survivors than any other state (The Lion, Straub & Yuengling) and are the only state with two breweries still run by the original families in the latter two.

Granted, in the modern "craft" era of brewpubs, growler fills, $10-up "bombers" and $40-up cases of beer, the laws aren't always quite as beneficial to some newer "craft" breweries. But PA still has one of the largest selection of brewers' beers available in the country.

* For some years, Wisconsin topped them but WI also had national brewers like Pabst, Miller, Schlitz, Heileman and Blatz, which would reduce their total of "local and regional" breweries.

#19 jesskidden, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    crag, Scrapss, YamBag and 6 others like this.
  20. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Victory sounds far-fetched to me. They are one of the largest craft breweries in the country by volume and sales in that list and would be a really expensive aquisition, even for AB-InBev. I think AB would prefer a respected, but smaller brewer with a greater potential for growth. Victory seems more committed to craft beer too with their participation in the Brewer's Association and they have just put huge investments into their operations that I think they would want to see mature on their own. A-B already has a presence in the northeast with Blue Point too.

I also don't see a Long Trail aquisition happening either. It may look good on paper, but Vermonters are proud of and fiercely loyal to their home-state businesses, and breweries in particular. An AB-InBev buyout would mean an overnight loss of almost all sales in VT that would not come back. I grew up in VT, and have a some insight in the culture there... I know people all over the country say they support their local businesss, but it's nothing like the support VT businesses get from in-state. They already grumble about the ownership of Magic Hat and to a lesser degree Long Trail, but with an AB-InBev buy-out, forget about it.

I would expect A-B would want more regional representation, so aquisitions in the southwest, south, and southeast would not surprise me. I think they would also love to be in craft beer focused Colorado and in Coors backyard. Actual breweries that come to my mind.... Abita, Great Divide, Sweetwater, Ballast Point, Golden Road... Although it's not the regions I said above, Great Lakes Brewing wouldn't surprise me either. If they were to pick up a PA/Philly area brewer I'd think Yards Brewing could be a target, because it's an established regional brand with a good reputation and lots of room for growth.

Himself, dagimp, nickfl and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.