Anheuser-Busch Expands Production of Bud Light Platinum

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by John_M, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

it's cannibalizing the job of whoever made it. woof.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  2. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2011 California

some guy came into my work claiming the bud light plantinum is the best beer out there

3. bomberdawg

bomberdawg Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2012 Oklahoma

I've run into the same thing myself in the Army. I looked at him weird, but I didn't think I could get through his redneck skull (no offence to rednecks, I love you guys being from GA and all, but he's a stubborn retard from Tenn). Eventually left cause I could not bring myself to drink Gamedays when I had some Great Yeti (overhyped imo) in my room.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  4. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Imagine if they added "rare" to their beer. Bud Light Rare. Now that would fly off the shelves. You'd see it on Ebay for $200 starting bids..

ZX6Chris likes this.
  5. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

At this point it's hard to say. The beer is relatively new, and the one place in town where I saw it (I'm sure it's around, I just haven't been looking), the bartender mentioned that most of the customers drinking it were more curious then anything else (buying one and done). Not that either I or the bartender I spoke to are experts on the subject, but his impression was that a lot of consumers are not very savvy about this beer. They see the "bud light" on the label, and they know the alcohol is higher, so they figure they're getting a high alcohol version of bud light (in other words, with the same calorie count). My guess is that most folks currently drinking it would likely stop if the realized the "light" part of the name is something of a misnomer. Obviously, AB has something of a vested interest in making sure that doesn't happen, and so far it appears they've been successful in getting macro swill light consumers to believe they can "have their cake and eat it too."

Also, I can't speak for the business practices of AB, but from what I can, they have a number of products that compete almost exclusively with other AB products (the whole michelob ultra light line-up for instance). That strikes me as crazy and wasteful, but what do I know?

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

Calorie wise isn't Platinum only like 40 calories more per 12oz than regular Bud Light?

John_M likes this.
  7. John_M

I think that's right. In fact, the calorie count for BL platinum is almost identical to the calorie count in regular bud.

I just think it's a joke for AB to call it a "light" beer, but on the other hand, I think it's pretty obvious why they did. It's all about marketing when it comes to making and selling beer at AB-InBev.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I guess they get away with calling it light because it has like seven or eight fewer calories than regular Bud.

9. John_M

I guess. As far as I know, there aren't any rules when it comes to calling a beer "light."

At 123 calories per 12 ounce serving, I used to find it pretty funny that Michelob Light was called a "light" beer. Up until then, I think most (all?) light beers were under 110 calories per 12 ounce serving. While I'm not certain of this, I believe at 137 calories per 12 ounce serving, bud light platinum is the most caloric light beer on the planet.

I assume that if Guinness felt there was any marketing advantage to it, they would call their stout a "light" beer (it has roughly the same calorie count as michelob light). However, that's one perception I thinik they want to avoid.

10. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

OK let's see what we can do about that. kraft? nope - already taken. craaft? nope - looks too Scandanavian.
    keraft? maybe - but there may be pronunciation issues or the wine people have it already. Looks like we're screwed!

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You forgot Billy (who?) Busch's:

[​IMG]

12. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

What an eye opener. I never realized. Is Billy an alter-ego, a bastard or was he adopted?

13. Chaz

Chaz Grand Pooh-Bah (3,544) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Where are these crafty lagers sold? I like the clean look of the label, and it also reminds me: whatever happened to the beer from that other Crafty guy?

14. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Son of Gussie Busch, (step?) brother of III. (I guess, the Busch family tree is pretty confused - lots of multiple marriages).

15. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, I'd guess (if it hasn't already collapsed) still MO only distribution?

Always reminds me of (the late, great) Huber's AUGSBURGER[​IMG]

A while back (2009, to be exact- damn, time sure flies when you're wasting it on the 'net), he was advertising for a contract brewer on Pro-Brewer.

I am seeking bids to contract brew my Classic American Pilsner, 250 bbls at a time.

Thank you,
    Ray Hill

Maybe the InBev suits gave him the boot?

16. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Looks like he's moved the contract to, first, The Lion (Wilkes-Barre, PA) and then to Weston Brewing Co. (O'Malley's) of Weston, MO. Never heard of the latter.

17. Hopscotch

Hopscotch Initiate (0) May 15, 2012

I have been stunned at how well this beer has taken off. I see it EVERYWHERE, from neon pub signs, to recycle bins, and in the hands of people propping up the bars all across NYC and Long Island. Perhaps Big Beer really does need to create more retarded beers, and that perhaps they've just been missing the mark all along.

18. John_M

I think the obvious question is this. Assuming BL platinum continues to sell well, at some point will AB start making a "non light" version of the platinum? :-)

19. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

I'm betting on "ultra-platinum".

20. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

You could have just stopped there - since it applies to all beer makers - even craft :-o

cavedave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.