Anheuser-Busch (BUD) to Acquire Seattle-Based Elysian Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by semibaked, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Zealot (580) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

While I personally wouldn't go so far as to say "I'll never drink their beer", I do think overall, that this is bad for "craft" beer. The more control "Big" Beer has over shelf space, distribution and hop contracts (possibly the worst part) the worse off it will be. I do understand why a brewer would sell though.

On a shit stirring note, did anyone see Tony's (Lagunitas) tweet?

NicTur likes this.
  2. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

You know, you're right. Ranting has been kept to a minimum. Carry on.

As for me, I've moved on. I'm headed down to Fremont --- Because Beer Matters and dogs are welcome.

woemad, 66jzmstr and NWer like this.
  3. Spreetaper

Spreetaper Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2014 New York

You don't often here people or groups called "sellouts" these days but I am of the personal opinion that these breweries should get labeled as such. Specific to Elysian I really enjoy their pumpkin beers but i refuse to give one dime to AB/InBev if I can help it.

SammyJaxxxx and TheBungyo like this.
  4. microbrewlover

microbrewlover Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2006 Pennsylvania

LOL

5. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The people who claim to be fans of a brewery but will cease to buy their product when something like this happens are always outnumbered by the people who claim to not be fans in the first place but will cease to buy their product anyhow.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They've bought several other AB houses in recent in recent years, so the total is now over 13 but they've yet to update that page of their website. Some of those deals, or attempted deals, happened in Chicago, Oregon, Washington, Kentucky and New Jersey.

Wait - but aren't you the guy who just claimed "AB INBEV owns their own distributorship (sic)". :confused:

#206 jesskidden, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  7. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I honestly don't recall that being the case, but regardless, it is permanently closed.

8. chinochino

chinochino Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2013 Washington

That's the spirit. I for one will pour a little out tonight on the ground when I get into some Split Shot. Glad I knew ye'

9. PacNWDad

PacNWDad Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2011 Washington

That's why I just grab a growler and go straight to the source. It's fresher too.

The big boys feel very, very threatened by the craft brewing industry. There will be another 50 or so of these deals with mid-sized craft brewers. Then, they will mop the floor with the rest if we're not careful. I don't think it will affect the small ones as much, but anyone with a reasonable level of distribution is a target.

#209 PacNWDad, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. snohojimbo

snohojimbo Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2012 Washington

I hear ya. But we've still got Redhook, Pyramid, Fremont, Diamond Knot, Scuttlebutt, Boundary Bay, and more! And Portland and Bend aren't too far away :slight_smile:

Redneckwine likes this.
  11. PacNWDad

PacNWDad Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2011 Washington

LOL - it should say "Final Gravity: 19.30".

12. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (1,237) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

You need to get out more if you think Redhook and Pyramid are good Washington breweries. lol

13. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

I'm drinking an Elysian Split Shot right now and it's way good. I'm really hoping they continue with the quality and selection Elysian has. They are one of my favorite breweries. They don't have a particular beer that is mind blowing, but they consistently keep making delicious beers in most styles.

14. Anaxagoris

Anaxagoris Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2014 Washington

Cool maybe Dick Cantwell will have enough money to leave Seattle so I don't have to see his stupid face or deal with his arrogance anymore!

BSBONO likes this.
  15. trbergman

trbergman Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2006 England

The brewpubs aren't owned by AB-InBev. Wrigleyville was open year-round until developers decided to raze the block to put up condos and the brewpub couldn't renew its lease.

16. strongaf

strongaf Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Washington

Somewhat less than wholehearted support from Dick Cantwell here:

http://seattlebeernews.com/2015/01/...ysian-brewing-5-questions-with-dick-cantwell/

"To be perfectly honest, I have a lot of ambivalence about it. It wasn’t necessarily the outcome I was looking for, but I think it is going to ultimately be a really positive step for us in terms of the capabilities, the resources, the opportunities for our folks to further their educations and their brewing experiences. That’s the side of it that I’m trying to concentrate on."

17. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for posting that, it answers a ton of questions.

How can you rail against corporate beer when you now make corporate beer?

18. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Some people did get into this business early on for the $$$ too. Whos to say these guys weren't businessmen first. For 20 years, consumers assumed one thing (that loser beer does not help them ONE bit here with my assumption). So maybe my point is null.

Have these deals ever not gone as planned? Hypothetical. Elysian sales drop 1-2 years after the sale. They then close 1 of 4 of their pubs because of margins (why have a pub if you can distribute everywhere)? It just doesn't seem like the common consumer cares much about anything. Could or would the Seattle area simply boycott these guys for being sellouts? They aren't the only option in town, that's for sure.

19. Tilley4

Tilley4 Pooh-Bah (2,667) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

^^^^^This.... Maybe I will be able to get them now

yemenmocha likes this.
  20. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Pooh-Bah (2,013) Dec 1, 2004 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Their flagship brewpub is in an area that isn't very welcoming to a corporate entity like ABInbev. I'm going to be very curious to see how their neighborhood reacts. I would expect the reaction to be negative but only time will tell for sure.

I for one won't be visiting any of their pubs ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.