Amarillo Pale ale additions

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by montman, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I'm still a beginner homebewer (less than 10 batches thus far) and as a gift I received the MW supplies Amarillo Pale ale extract kit.
    I would like to use this kit however we recently brewed a pretty mild tasting pale ale and was looking for some suggestions to make this one a bit stronger.
    Any suggestions on what adddional hops I can/should add to give this one a little more bite? I'm sold on dry hopping too, maybe more amarillo but I'm open to any thoughts from you guys with more experience.
    Thanks

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

What are the ingredients/recipe in the kit, and what kind of hop flavors do you like?

3. montman

montman Maven (1,410) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

The kit instuctions contain/advise: 1/2 oz. Columbus 60min, 1 oz. Amarillo hops 40 min, 1oz Amarillo 20 min
    Recently I seem to be drinking more citrusy, resiny types, but really I'd be open to whatever works well together, I'd just like to make a little hoppier tasty beer.

4. kjyost

kjyost Initiate (0) May 4, 2008 Canada (MB)

I'd change the recipe up by adding another 1/2 oz of Columbus (or a little less) at 60.

Add your 1 oz of Amarillo at 10 minutes at flameout (steep for 10 minutes). I would consider adding a bit of Columbus if you like piney (maybe buy two ounces, add 1/2 @ 60, 3/4 @ 10, 3/4 @ Flameout). I do though love an all Amarillo beer.

5. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Illinois

Citra works well with Amarillo. I agree with kjyost, equal parts of the Amarillo at 10 min and at flame out.

6. wspscott

wspscott Pooh-Bah (1,934) May 25, 2006 Kentucky
    Pooh-Bah Society

I would have to run it through a calculator, but I would think about the Columbus at 60 and 2oz of Amarillo at 5 minutes. You might want a little more bitterness, but this would probably be tasty and more flavor/aroma driven vs. the provided recipe. I would definitely not use the Amarillo at 40 min, maybe 1oz at 20 and 1oz at 5.

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

You already have hop varieties that can give you citrus and resiny. If you're looking for more of that, I'd maybe add a little more of both, at 5 minutes and/or flameout.

8. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

Back in the day...I brewed MW's AG version of this recipe and it made one mighty fookin'fine pale ale as is. It's been in the pipeline...more or less...ever since.

The only recipe change has been a 7-day dry hop with 1 oz Amarillo / 5G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.