Alpine Beer to quintuple production

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by claspada, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claspada

claspada Pooh-Bah (2,305) Sep 27, 2007 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah

Via BeerPulse.com:
    It has been exactly four months since Alpine Beer Company founder, Pat McIlhenny, announced that the company would grow production by 400% with the help of another brewery. Late last month, McIlhenny told BeerPulse that he is close to inking a deal similar to the one he envisioned this past fall.

The plan calls for the beers of Alpine, ranked #19 in the world by RateBeer, to be produced at a fellow craft brewery in the U.S., one with a “phenomenal water source,” says McIlhenny. He wouldn’t disclose the brewery, citing that a contract had not yet been signed.

Alpine production will go from 1,000 barrels to 6,000 barrels under the terms of the deal. The additional 5,000 barrels will comprise of 2,000 barrels of Nelson IPA, 2,000 barrels of Duet IPA and 1,000 barrels of Hoppy Birthday, an American Pale Ale. McIlhenny recently secured the hops he needed from New Belgium in order to add Hoppy Birthday production into the contract. Formats for all three beers will include 22 oz. ‘Belgian-style’ bottles, kegs and Ball Corporation’s Alumi-Tek aluminum 16 oz. bottles.

Alpine would become only the third craft brewery to adopt Alumi-Tek bottles after Oskar Blues and Sun King did so with their collaboration beers.

As for what this means for distribution, nothing has been finalized but there is a possibility of Alpine distributing in the Bay Area and Sacramento.

McIlhenny also tells BeerPulse that another location in town they had been planning to develop is on the backburner for now.

2. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Hoppy Birthday in bottles? Better change my pants before work.

jrnyc, radium, Brewzer1010 and 3 others like this.
  3. benjaminahudson

benjaminahudson Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2012 North Carolina

aluminum bottles. nice.

4. NHbeerfishing

NHbeerfishing Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 New Hampshire

There are phenomenal water sources near expanding breweries in VT.

fmccormi and ilovermont like this.
  5. Kadonny

Kadonny Pooh-Bah (2,582) Sep 5, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have wood thinking that Duet will become more readily available. I freaking love that beer. Send all you can to the east coast please.

6. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Distribution in WA please.

harrymel, whiskey and Orca like this.
  7. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

How about some RI/Mass distribution!:wink:

8. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2008 California

screw you guys, how about some actual SD distribution first. :wink:

domtronzero, stawn, rrryanc and 13 others like this.
  9. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Pooh-Bah (1,955) Nov 26, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

<insert celebratory gif that would put me on timeout>

domtronzero, Hanzo, klaybie and 12 others like this.
  10. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

11. SenorHops

SenorHops Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Screw you. SD doesn't deserve any.:angry:

12. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2011 California

Gonna ask Pat about it at citybeer today, you gonna make it up there Arbi? I find it hard to believe as much as i would love it, that they can expand to the bay much less sacramento. Even though they would be growing by 400% thats still a relatively small amount of beer for the huge demand they have. You can barely find the beer in SD proper much less the OC.

13. Arbitrator

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

No, I don't support bars with City in the title. Something you'd know about, right? :wink:

Seriously though, I don't support the way City Beer is in bed with their distributor. I haven't shopped there in years. And it would really suck if Alpine went through Artisan -- that means all accounts except City Beer will get shafted.

BobbysLiquors likes this.
  14. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

Maybe they can start sending some bottles back up to the LA area.
    Been a few years since it's been up here regularly.

Angst likes this.
  15. Trilogy31

Agreed, though i am sad to admit I will sell myself out quickly for Alpine. Hoping they use Morris or I would even accept Lime as distributors. I am sure they will be making the push to distribute through daddies company Artisan today though. Outside of Alesmith who does Artisan even carry of real value?

16. westcoastbeerlvr

westcoastbeerlvr Grand Pooh-Bah (3,751) Oct 19, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Midnight Sun.

sirtomtom likes this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Oh wow they are like famous then. That's even higher than Ratebeer ranks awesome brewers like Southern Tier and Rogue.

JackHorzempa and Arbitrator like this.
  18. Trilogy31

I am going to guess 50/50 too then since they first brought it to SF, no proof of that though.

19. Arbitrator

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes, 50/50 used to be with Artisan. But 50/50 found a new distributor this year. Small wonder that City Beer refused to carry the 2012 Eclipses and sold off what was left of their archives this past weekend.

Like anyone really believes Craig's parents' distribution company is a separate entity from CBS...

BobbysLiquors and huadog like this.
  20. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2011 California

Agreed. I used to be able to get Pure Hoppiness with some regularity. I haven't seen it in months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.