Airport lounge beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RBlaszak, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBlaszak

RBlaszak Devotee (343) Jul 6, 2009 Michigan

Pleasantly surprised by the Delta Skyclubs lately, as they seem to be making a small stab in the right direction.
    LAX has had Red Hook ESB forever, nothing special...
    MSP has started doing Summit XPA,
    Happy to see a Saugatuck IPA here in DTW today!

I know Delta's choice to start carrying Blue Moon (didn't American get Sam Adams) isn't a strong statement for craft beer, but it does get some distance between us and the typical Lite lager or Heinieken options that have been the norm.

Any other frequent traveler BAs? What airports are worth the layover? Conversely, any nearby establishments serving great local craft that make leaving the airport during a layover worthwhile?

2. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Glasgow Airport is one of my approximations of hell but there's a Wotherspooons inside that carries about half a dozen cask ales. The other week they even had Fyne Jarl. I fine way to ease the pain I'd say.

3. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

I like that Frontier started carrying Fat Tire.

Flight attendant: "Sir, can I get you something to drink?"
    Me: "Yes, I'd like a Fat Tire, please."
    Lady next to me: "What did he order?"
    Flight attendant: "Flat Tire. It's a darker beer. Sir, would you like a lemon?"
    Me: "No."

Put my head down, sipping my beer, just glad she knew that Flat Tire is darker than most beers on flights.

syrupjoe likes this.
  4. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

Cleveland has a Great Lakes bar that sells sixers too.
    Great stuff!

richardflyr likes this.
  5. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Sweetwater has a pub in ATL
    New Belgium has a pub in Denver.

These are places Ive been.

Cheers!

6. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

Man, I was in Akron/Canton airport in May, and they also have a Great Lakes bar, but they wouldn't sell sixers to go. Should've gone to Cleveland, I guess.

7. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Pooh-Bah (2,193) Feb 13, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Schlafly has a pub in the STL main concourse C. Unfortunately, I believe that has become the most unused concourse with the decline in American Airlines flights in STL. I wish they would move it, but space is a premium in the other areas.

Cigar City has a pub in the Tampa airport, but I forget which concourse. It's the one that the Southwest flights go in and out of, because I'm hitting it for sure next time I fly through!

8. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Surly Taps available at Ikes MSP ,Cigar city brewing @ Tampa International TPA ^^

9. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

Samuel Adams has a number of beer bars in Airports if nothing else... I know I've seen one at Logan (Boston) and Atlanta.

Hey, you could do worse! :grinning:

Doesn't Stone also have a place in San Diego Airport? I know they at least have one in the works.

Austin had Sam Adams and Ziegenbock at their bar (it's a small airport, lol) last time I flew out.

10. hiimrichie

hiimrichie Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2012 California

Enjoyed Honkers Ale at the United lounge in Chicago.

11. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Portland is far and away the best airport I've ever been to for beer. Between Rogue, Laurelwood, and Gustav's (not to mention the half dozen other restaurants) there's probably 40 different beers available inside PDX. Best of all, there's a local ordinance in Portland that requires palces in the airport to charge "local market rates" for everything, so pints of Workhorse are only $4.

edit: You can also buy growlers, and since they're post-security you can carry them on with you.

12. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

There are a few good beer options at Charlotte Douglas International, you can usually find Foothills Hoppyum and various Old Mecklenburg beers on tap at a couple of locations throughout the airport.

beerindex likes this.
  13. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2010 Florida

Boulevard has a bar at the Kansas city airport

14. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,160) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Samuel Adams also has beer bars at Reagan National (Washington DC) in Terminal A both pre and post security.

15. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

Red Carpet Club at Ohare has Honkers, which is about as good as it gets. SNA and LAX are both Heineken and Budlight.

Best part about the sky club at Ohare is you get to pour your own beers and spirits. Screw those scurvy bartenders...

16. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

Virgin America has 21A and Anchor Steam on board.

afrokaze likes this.
  17. adamdarcy

adamdarcy Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2008 Michigan

Chicago ORD has Goose Island everywhere! Atlanta ATL had a SweetWater pub in the Delta terminal....I really wanted more time before my connecting flight....

beerindex likes this.
  18. ikaika122

ikaika122 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Not sure what terminal it is, but the terminal in Ohare that Virgin America flies out of has a Goose Island pub. They had Matilda and Sofie on tap when I was there and had just sold out of BCBS bottles according to them,

19. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Denver has a New Belgium hub at the airport, as well as a Rock Bottom. I believe O'Hare has a Goose Island pub that has been there for a long time. As was mentioned, you can't go wrong with Sam Adams. Especially when they have a pub in Atlanta and Charleston. I have found nothing of interest at George W in Houston, but maybe I am missing another Sam Adams place?

Traveling internationally, London Heathrow has some Weatherspoon pubs with a few casks. I remember Amsterdam Schiphol had a few interesting places to have a beer. I can't remember the names off hand right now. Same with Tokyo Narita. Aberdeen International now has a Weatherspoon with a few casks as well. I have nothing good to say at all about Paris Charles De Gaulle:angry: , and Incheon International in Seoul is about as boring an airport I have been to for pubs and beer (the actual airport is quit nice though). I travel a lot.

20. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Canada (YT)

Had some MS Sockeye Red's as well as a couple other local craft beers at Humpy's in Anchorage International airport, Pretty happy about that since while i was in Anchorage i didnt get to enjoy very much local beer due to there not being any bars in the middle of Prince William Sound..

afrokaze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.