A "thank you" to the breweries that are doing 12 packs of cans....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

and an encouragement to other breweries to do them as well.

As the summer months approach I find myself looking for "sessionable" beers that both come in cans and in 12 packs. Cans, and more specifically lots of cans, of craft beer are a nice thing to have around for beach days, bocce ball, cook-outs, yard work, homebrewing outside and a number of other warm weather activities. They are also a good thing to have in coolers with non craft beer people around as they provide an option for someone to try something new in a format they are familiar with (ice cold, straight from the can).

Unfortunately, there aren't a whole heck of a lot of 12 pack cans available for purchase in my neck of the woods (or at least I don't think they're are a lot of them). I would love to see more. Nevertheless, I know starting up the canning process comes at a price and thus, some breweries are reluctant. Furthermore, I know that there are many craft beer enthusiasts that don't really care about 12 packs of cans (or cans at all). Nevertheless....

A thank you to the breweries that both canned and put the following beers into 12 packs:
    Long Trail Ale
    Cisco Summer of Lager
    Shipyard Export
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    Narragansett Summer
    Harpoon IPA

A request to the breweries below. May I live to see the day when you offer the following in 12 packs of cans:
    Sam Adams Noble Pils
    Sierra Nevada Summer Fest
    Grey Sail Ale
    Jack's Abby Jabby Brau
    Victory Prima Pils
    Brooklyn Lager (I know it's canned in tallboys, but I'll gladly take 12oz if it comes in 12 packs)
    Shorts Kolsch 45

How about you BA? Who would you like to thank for both canning and packaging in 12 packs? Who would you like to see follow suit?

2. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

I bought a case of Brooklyn Lager 12oz cans a couple of years ago. Haven't seen them since. Would love to have them back.

3. xxbillay

xxbillay Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 New Jersey

Dales pale is my go to when it comes to this. But as soon as all day ipa cans hit my area, I think ill jump on those

4. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A case, as in 24 beers? That'd be magnificent.

5. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

Yup. According to their website they still sell them in 12oz cans.

Providence likes this.
  6. beerborn

beerborn Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Louisiana

Porkslap. That is all

7. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

I like cans for certain summer activities too and easy drinkers in 12 packs are awesome. A 24 pack of cans would be perfect. Maybe Boston Lager? My grocery store sells cases of bottles for $22.99, I would love a 24 pack of cans in that price range.

8. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Michigan

I'm stoked that Founders is canning their All Day this summer and then most likely moving onto other beers. Also, canned Two Hearted and Oberon from Bell's next year is going to be sweet as hell. Glass bottles are a pain when floating on a tube down the river.

9. keysburg

keysburg Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2012 Massachusetts

BL is going to be in cans this summer:

http://www.samueladams.com/media/pr...y/samuel-adams-to-launch-boston-lager-in-cans

I was pretty excited to see Cisco extend the number of brews they put in cans this year. Some Grey Lady and if Sam adds Sam Summer to cans with BL I will be a pretty happy camper.

10. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

I cannot f'ing wait for canned Two Hearted. Sweet Jesus.

11. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

You're in luck. I see 12-packs of cans in my local shop all the time. They also can East India Pale Ale and Summer Ale in 12-packs, too (though of the three of those, Summer Ale is easily my pick for summer crushing).
    I don't know if Victory will ever get into canning, but I'd love to see Swing Session Saison in cans, too. Foster's-style oil cans, preferably.

And I'd like to add Saranac Pale Ale to that list. It's a decent beer, and for $13-14/ 12-pack of cans, it's a good pick for upstate NY summer activities.

Providence likes this.
  12. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

13. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

The following Brooklyn beers are available on Long Island in 12oz can 12packs...
    Brooklyn Lager
    Brooklyn Summer Ale
    Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

[​IMG]

beastmammoth, Brodie91 and Providence like this.
  14. Benish

Benish Pooh-Bah (2,422) Mar 13, 2013 Utah
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Any decent IPA in cans I look forward to. Bottles are bulky and heavier and in my opinion a pain to haul around when camping. I will probably buy more cans than bottles this summer. Good thread!

15. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

Stoked for Bell's Two Hearted, and All Day IPA.

hardy008 likes this.
  16. AugiePrimrose

AugiePrimrose Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2009 Illinois

I can't wait to get back to my hometown of Galena, IL this summer and hit the Mississippi River beaches & area golf courses with 12 packs of Stevens Point Cascade Pale Ale cans. Thank you Point Brewing!

17. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anyone know if the canned version of Founders All Day IPA will be sent to the same areas the rest of their stuff is distributed to? I'd love to get some of that.

18. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Eh, cans don't make that much difference to me. I don't do a lot of drinking where bottles are prohibited and most that come in 12 packs are beers I wouldn't buy otherwise, or are inferior contract brews. But I'm not against them at the same time - and welcome them if it means getting a fresh batch (in relation to their bottled counterpart) of hoppy beer or a good deal on a 12 pack of a refreshing drinker or to take to a party.

19. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Pooh-Bah (2,815) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah

Agreed. I love canned beer for a lot of reasons. I can't wait until Bell's releases their beer in cans ... the more options the better.

I have a question for YOU in particular, and maybe it's a stupid one -- do you find that beer changes flavor when it's "swished around"? I find that a beer that's aggressively poured one time and then smoothly poured the next will have a HUGE change in flavor. If I open a can and drink without "swishing", it doesn't taste as good... and I swear it's not in my head (which is why I like pouring whenever I can).

Is there science to this?

fmccormi likes this.
  20. Providence

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I couldn't tell you. I have never really paid attention to the taste difference between drinking out of a can drinking from a glass after a vigorous pour. I almost always drink from a glass, so when I am drinking from cans it's usually during an activity that is the primary focus of my attention. As such, memories of those beers drank straight from the can are minimal.

fmccormi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.