30 minute hop additions

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by yinzer, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinzer

yinzer Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

A while ago I said something like; Every hop addition at different times has influences on beer other than the bitterness vs flavor/aroma debate. For instance 60 minutes favors isomerization which maximizes bitterness stability. 30 minute favors polyphenols. (ref Colin Kaminski ), etc. etc. And everyone gave me a cookie and I went home.

Anyway:

The main effect of polyphenols on flavour stability is
    probably situated in the mashing and wort boiling steps
    (Liegeois et al., 2000; Mikyska et al., 2002). In particular,
    polyphenols extracted from hop during wort boiling
    significantly contribute to the reducing power and
    effectively diminish the nonenal potential of wort (Lermusieau,
    Liegeois, & Collin, 2001). Sensory experiments
    (Mikyska et al., 2002) also confirm the positive effects of
    hop polyphenols, during brewing, on flavour stability.

I know that (E)-2-nonenal leads to oxidation. And of course I might be missing the forest for one tree. For instance typically HB isn't shipped, is not normally cellared, etc. And I'll admit that most of this is beyond me. But I hope that it's food for thought.

p. 374
    http://nfscfaculty.tamu.edu/talcott/Food%20Chem%20605/Spring%202011%20Class/2011%20Papers%20and%20Class%20Presentations/Review-Beer%20Ageing.pdf

2. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

thanks for posting...definitely interesting.
    What I'm trying to figure out is what are the 30-min hops going to add that the 60-min hops wouldn't? Wouldn't the polyphenols from the 60-min addition bind to the nonenals. You also get plenty of polyphenols from the mash. There are i believe thousands of polyphenol compounds and each behave differently so...uh, ultimately I remain unconvinced that I personally need it.

3. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for the link. I agree that all of the hop additions do something.

4. yinzer

yinzer Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2006 Pennsylvania

On the first part, I don't know. Colin didn't give any reasons.

On polyphenols, somewhere in there I believe that its states that it's a 70/30 malt/hops contribution. But I wonder if that's style dependent. Or is there a point of diminishing returns? Yes, polyphenols is a large group. So how different are the malt vs hop polyphenols? Listening to Palmer polyphenols need to be a balanced with the style/recipe. So maximizing them isn't always good or needed. But no 60 or 30 minute does cause me to question pure hop bursting.

Anyway I do think that this is a good exercise in examining what hops will do for you based upon when they are added. Well at least for one time frame. Also, I do remember Colin talking about at times a hop molecule will bind to a sugar molecule. When this happens the molecule survives the boil and is released by the yeast during fermentation.

sorry, I'm babbling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.