2014 Sierra Nevada Harvest series..

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hendrick24, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Pooh-Bah (1,925) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

I was paging through the Jan/Feb 2014 issue of Zymurgy and there's an add from Sierra Nevada for 5 new Harvest IPA's being released in 2014. They are two single hops (hops not listed), a fresh hop, a wet hop and a wild hop IPA. Anyone have any more info on these? I can't find a thread regarding them and they aren't on SN website either as far as I can tell. I wonder if these will replace the Northern and Southern Hemi beers?

2. sefus12

sefus12 Pundit (884) Sep 7, 2006 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nope, but I'll CERTAINLY be grabbing them if I see them. Great news!

3. infuturity83

infuturity83 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Massachusetts

Exciting....can't wait!

4. Hendrick24

Pooh-Bah Society

The ad says the first to hit will be a Single Hop IPA in February. The bottom of the bottle says #291 Varietal Hops if that means anything to anyone.

ISO!

5. t_shaw

t_shaw Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2013 North Carolina

sounds awesome. if im not mistaken the Hemisphere beers are the wet & fresh hop beers, though i cant recall which is which. sierra nevada + hops = good.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The Southern Hemisphere uses hops grown in New Zealand, too far away to ship "wet" hops, so it is a "fresh hop" ale - according to SN's definition.

runfoodrun and azorie like this.
  7. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I just got a growler of Northern Hemisphere a few weeks ago. I think that was called wet hop. Very good but its no Celebration.

8. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

Harvest was my light bulb beer. First southern, then norther, and after that I was a beer geek. so I will most definitely picking up any of these I can. Hopefully my bar gets some on draft, that'd be awesome!

9. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,957) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Same here. I used to hate IPAs, then tried Northern Hemisphere and was converted to full on hop head.

tbaker397 likes this.
  10. BillManley

BillManley Pundit (825) Jul 2, 2008 North Carolina

So
    Southern Hemisphere and Northern Hemisphere will be part of the series (the fresh hop and wet hop beers) The first single hop will be Varietal #291, which is an experimental variety that is extremely berry heavy. Almost blueberry like. Cool new hop. We haven't chosen the hop yet for the next single hop beer, though Mandarina IS on the table. We've got more than a dozen to choose from so we'll pick whatever tastes best. The Neo Mexicanus is gonna to be super cool. This is a "wild" hop indigenous to the US. Crazy flavor and look (multiple cones per head, as opposed to just one.) It has been used once or twice by small breweries in the past, but is largely unknown, even to beer people.
    I can't wait to see this in full production. These have been some of the most fun beers to work with since I started at Sierra Nevada.

-Bill

11. azorie

azorie Pooh-Bah (2,409) Mar 18, 2006 Florida
    Pooh-Bah

Any Love for non hop heads? I mean geez I see 500 IPA in the store every trip. I miss my Tumbler, lol. Sorry had to vent. I love SNPA but I just do not love all these IPA's.

HoptimusMax1mus and ESHBG like this.
  12. Hendrick24

Pooh-Bah Society

This...Is...Awesome!

13. badb_rad

badb_rad Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2012 California

So between the Beer Camp 12 pack, the 4-way IPA & 3 new Harvest series beers, we're looking at a minimum of 19 new SN (&collab) beers his year??? Jackpot!!

ChrisMyhre and azorie like this.
  14. sefus12

Trader

Try their Porter, Stout, and Kellerweiss. All are fantastic.

KFBR392 likes this.
  15. azorie

Pooh-Bah

oh I USED to drink them every month, its just they are old beers now...and frankly I can HB better IMHO on each type now. I drank the porter for 10 years or more now.

16. sefus12

Trader

Then I'd just homebrew yourself a brown ale and call it a day. Brewers continue making IPAs because it's what sells. Furthermore the experimentation of the different hop varieties really peaks peoples' interests. Just look at the rise of galaxy and citra over the past few years. Maybe SN will find another varietal that will take off like that. I too love other beers that have been retired (looking at you Glissade Bock) but you can't knock a brewery for making more of what people want.

JackHorzempa and Hendrick24 like this.
  17. azorie

Pooh-Bah

I never knocked them I asked for some non hop head loving is all, there is a huge difference.:grinning:
    It never hurts to ask, and I had the Tumbler argument before, plus I think I can get that recipe.

Us balanced and malt lover buy beer also, and why do we not get new beer? are only hop heads worthy? lol:grinning:

Sn time for RIS everyone else has got 1.

ESHBG likes this.
  18. Mojo

Mojo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

KFBR392 likes this.
  19. azorie

Pooh-Bah

Mojo likes this.
  20. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

Someone convince me otherwise that SN is the best brewery in the world.

I'll wait.

badb_rad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.