2014 Bourbon County Brands release - Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Jaycase, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McAndrew

McAndrew Pundit (980) Jun 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Found Prop at a small wine/beer store in Downers Grove. SAid he was holding them for regular customers. Explained I was from out of town and that I would pay $40. He says I'll be right back. Even if I tried to trade for Prop I think I'm still coming out ahead.

mgr78704 and PHBoiler like this.
  2. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Wanna give a tip on the DG shop? I'm from the area and frequent a number of shops and my brother still lives in the area, so it might be his shop.

3. jokemon

jokemon Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2007 Illinois

4. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

A small allotment that people will now have to line up for at 4am to get a bottle of. So yeah, blew it up

hey5hitgoose likes this.
  5. McAndrew

McAndrew Pundit (980) Jun 12, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Cellar door on main st downers grove

6. BobCobb

BobCobb Pundit (962) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

hombrepalo likes this.
  7. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois

Rainblows likes this.
  8. BobCobb

BobCobb Pundit (962) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I don't doubt that we will all need to sit down and take a moment of pause Friday afternoon when we hear how early the first person got there. I just don't think this was any kind of secret that the recent post blew up in some way.

Jaycase likes this.
  9. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

i don't think the allotment is changing regardless on how many folks arrive, based on their FB page. or did i miss something?

~a pallet drop is what i'm told. ~ 10 to 15 cases each of bw and coffee it seems. cannot vouch for p or vr counts.
    if someone wants to do the math, because i'm terrible at it and lazy.

they got less bcbs (in general) than last year.

10. Icculus38

Icculus38 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Illinois

About two cases each

11. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2012 Illinois

They had a ton last year because I was in the back of the line and got 3 4packs of regular, a Backyard and a Prop and I got in line around 345 or 4.

12. Summer78

Summer78 Zealot (592) Jan 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah they had a shit ton last year. Coffee went first because they didn't split up four packs. I was able to get everything else though. But I was also able to get nearly everything anywhere last year and can't get shit this year.

Hoozierdaddy likes this.
  13. Beerlistman

Beerlistman Zealot (608) Jul 9, 2009 Illinois

I would be more than happy to take all that 2013 prop off your hands...

funhog likes this.
  14. prior2two

prior2two Maven (1,490) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

They split up coffee to 2 bottles. I was one of the last to get it and arrived around 2ish.

15. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

Couldn't be any more wrong. Still drinking just as good as it did fresh. Had 2 different bottles with in a week of each other.

16. BullBearHawk

BullBearHawk Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Totally agree, people said that about the 2010 Vanilla. Well I had it 3 years aged in the bottle and it was still a vanilla bomb. Same thing goes for the 2013 Prop, tons of coconut still. I don't see it falling off anytime within the next few years.

Drucifer and Summer78 like this.
  17. baker2gs

baker2gs Crusader (409) Apr 19, 2010 Illinois

I've had mixed experiences with the Whole Foods in Schaumburg. I've gotten friendly with the various beer/wine team leader for the last few years and stop in often since I work right by it, they've been helpful. Though, since beer/wine is shared with the cheese/specialty section often times I'm talking to store associates that could give a shit and get various answers like you've referenced. I get it, I've worked retail before, not everyone cares nor knows what's going on. You need to talk to the beer/wine team leader.

Last year was really screwed, I was second in line for their release, behind a friend. They opened the doors let us all file in and line up in the beer section, the beer team leader rolled out the cart, lots of regular, case of coffee, case of bw, partial case of Backyard and 2 bottles of Prop. First thought was, I guess the staff took the rest but at least I'm getting one. Just as they were about to start handing allotments out a staff member comes running up yelling "I didn't get one!" The beer team leader is clearly pissed and handed her a bottle of Prop and just like that there it went.

JulianC likes this.
  18. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

Huh...it must vary by bottle. I drank mine after only a few months, and thought the coconut was weak. Actually, it's more likely that my expectations were off.

19. Crentakey

Crentakey Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2013 Illinois

Over the course of the last year I've had the privilege to have samples from three separate bottles and once on tap. It most certainly did vary by bottle. Most recently at the bottle share for the Abraxas release at Beer Temple. Got a small sample of a 2013 Prop and it had more coconut in it than any of the times I've had it before.

Weikle22, ChicagoGuy, ravot and 3 others like this.
  20. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, it must vary by bottle, as I've had 3 bottles of it (and some on tap at GI Clybourn's anniversary party), and the 3rd bottle, which I drank at the end of October, was almost completely devoid of coconut. So if you guys are saying that some bottles still have coconut to them, that gives me hope. Time to see if I can steal my dad's bottle!

ChicagoGuy and cwehr13 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.