1809 in Austin

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by JDV, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDV

JDV Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2007 Texas

Was this one of those beers that disappeared instantly or is this still hanging around shops in town? Anybody know what store it is still available in for sure?

Thanks

2. rdooley

rdooley Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Texas

I picked up a bottle at Sunrise a few days ago. It looked like he had a decent amount of it.

3. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

They still have it at WhichCraft. It seems like it is not limited.

4. JDV

Awesome, thanks guys.

5. mph005

mph005 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Pretty sure those places will have it, but I also just saw Jester King has bottles of it to go.

6. bccocx

bccocx Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2007 Texas

7. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Savant (1,088) Nov 16, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Saw it at Sunrise last night. Also at Round Rock Specs and Arbor Walk.

8. RISeth

RISeth Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 Texas

check all your independent bottle shops. not approved in most chain accounts yet, like HEB or Whole Foods. Whichcraft will have it until distribution runs out with this batch, which won't be anytime soon.

aschwab likes this.
  9. Riccymon

Riccymon Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2007 Texas

Still a bunch at Sunrise.

10. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

think i got mine at arbor walk less than a week ago.

11. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

Skip it and just pick up some Boiler Room. Just had Boiler Room, 1809, and Charlie Foxtrot side by side and everyone liked Boiler room the best. Beer nerds and non beer nerds.

12. JDV

I liked the boiler room quite a bit, but it's been 5 years or so since I had the 1809 and I wanted to give it another go. I picked up a bottle at East 1st Grocery and have it in the fridge now. The Boiler Room had a bit of a stronger honey like sweetness than I wanted, and I was thinking maybe the 1809 might be a tad drier. I haven't had the Charlie Foxtrot yet but want to try that as well.

13. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2013 Texas

CF is good but not really on point as far as style IMO. Its 7.5% abv and much more sour. I like it quite a bit but doesn't quite fit Berliner Weisse style to me.

1809 was almost sweeter than boiler room to me. More that Banana flavor to it.

BR is just so damn drinkable its ridiculous. Really need it in cans...

champ103 and nsheehan like this.
  14. JDV

Ya, I'd definitely rather have anything in cans than bottles. I rarely want 22 oz of anything.

nsheehan and Heretic42 like this.
  15. JDV

Just opened my 1809 and while it definitely has that banana clove note to it much more so than Boiler room, I find it waaay less sweet. None of that honey sweetness in the finish at all in my 1809. Both are great, but the 1809 feels drier to me and with more of a hefeweizen spiced yeast flavor. Glad to see beers of this style readily available here now.

16. champ103

champ103 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,682) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Hmm, Boiler Room is pretty dry to me. I don't get much sweetness at all. 1809 has that wheaty banana/clove/bubblegum sweetness going that is pretty apparent to me. Which is to be expected, 1809 is %5 ABV, which is substantially more than Boiler Room. Not that you are wrong, just find it interesting peoples different perceptions.

17. JDV

Ya, i don't know. At first I liked the dryness I got in my bottle of 1809, but I prefer the flavor of the Boiler room a bit more as it felt a bit simpler, and cleaner as far as lack of yeast flavors. I probably should just get another bottle and try again!

18. BgThang

BgThang Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2007 Texas

the bottle of 1809 I had a couple years ago was a lot more sour than the fresh bottle I tried a couple weekes ago from Jester King. I am thinking the first bottle I tried may have been quite a bit older. I enjoyed the boiler room more but einhorn even more than both of these.

19. JDV

Einhorn was pretty darn good too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.